Topic: You Tube Stars..

Sorry..  This is the second time I ve tried this..  I was just up like all gear heads watching You-Tube video of boutique amps..  I noticed something troubling..  None of these so called amp " experts" actually used the amps on show days.  They were all in hotel rooms  ( aka amp shows) basements, studios, ect..  So I was thinking.. does anybody actually use these 5k plus amps on gigs?    I figured because Bonamassa gear freaks are way cooler than the gear page nay sayers I would start a thread for people posting photos, videos of your gear on a gig night.  That honestly is the only way to judge your equipment.. It doesn't have to be played at the enormo -dome or your local hockey arena.  just on a gig.. pub, club bbq, wedding, or soccer club.. anything goes.. just you all  playing live music.. 
Thanks.. Looking forward to your responses...
Joe B...  cool

Re: You Tube Stars..

Well.....those amps are far too expensive for me so.... but I haven't seen many guitar players who use those amps live....

I don't charge for mistakes. - Joe Bonamassa

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Sorry..  This is the second time I ve tried this..  I was just up like all gear heads watching You-Tube video of boutique amps..  I noticed something troubling..  None of these so called amp " experts" actually used the amps on show days.  They were all in hotel rooms  ( aka amp shows) basements, studios, ect..  So I was thinking.. does anybody actually use these 5k plus amps on gigs?    I figured because Bonamassa gear freaks are way cooler than the gear page nay sayers I would start a thread for people posting photos, videos of your gear on a gig night.  That honestly is the only way to judge your equipment.. It doesn't have to be played at the enormo -dome or your local hockey arena.  just on a gig.. pub, club bbq, wedding, or soccer club.. anything goes.. just you all  playing live music.. 
Joe B...  cool

HEY JOE!  I can't imagine taking a $5k amp to some of the smokey dives we play let alone on a tour.  I have a tough time believing that extra 4 grand would make a player like me sound that much better, but I do think you get what you pay for.  I paid for the DSL100 sound and it makes me grin from ear to ear. 

Can't wait for you to get back to the Chicago area Joe.  We will definitely be there!

I think the only thing that changes for me is if I use a 2x12 cab at home, or a 4x12 at a larger gig. Most gigging musicians cant afford $5k amps because we're too poor from buying bus/train tickets and more strings...I'll get some pics up in a week or so.

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

Ask S.Costello...  wink

Im down here in Austin. I don't gig myself.
However I've seen Lance's Bludotone Live, it does sound fantastic

A friend of mine plays a Red Plate
See an occasional Dr. Z (not an expensive one)

And a whole boat load of Silver Face Fender, or less expensive old amps.
See a lot of people playing inexpensive guitars, and sounding fantastic

I mostly play Custom Shop Guitars, and Boutique Amps at home,
and think "what's wrong with this picture.
Fact : most working musicians around here say "can't afford them"
You have to be a middle aged IT professional to buy those things :-)

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Ask S.Costello...  wink

currently holding a seance for that purpose  tongue

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I don't think most musicans or weekend guys like myself can really afford to spend 5K on am amp and in reality our you really going to sound That much better. I see a lot of local music here in AZ and mostly everyone plays fenders, since its right here, lots of Marshalls and Mesa's few Peavey's. There are some guys playing Oranges, Bogners and even 65 Soho Amps which sound great. But still all under the 5k Mark.

Now if you want to talk Pedal boards and the silly money I have seen spent on them is insane, I have seen guys with a $200 amp and with $3000 worth of pedals and a squire guitar, but I think those guys are spending Mom and Daddies money.

Not sure if you can see this but here is my band and me playing the Jub and my LP and a carl Martin Hot Drive and boost, since you asked for you tube videos someday I will get around to doing a gear demo.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pants/266 … 9679160440

Here I am on the Firebird: http://www.youtube.com/user/theliquidki … fAbGsT_Rro

all the gear used is what is listed on my signature.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

Lance is great and a good friend of mine.. I really like his music.

I've played venues before where they don't allow use of your own amp. Cause the pub down stairs will complain if it's too loud! It's insane!
One reason I'd never take a 5k amp to a gig is that usually you get some little brat walking up to your amp when it's set up and going "I can't get it to turn on! What the hell?! Why are there two switches!!??" and flick the power button on and off with the standby already off.
Worst case is when you take the head off and cab moved away and then when you're away getting a drink someone sets it back up and plugs your head into your 8ohm cab with the 16ohm output. ARGH!

Man I don't know where you guys play but no one touches my gear ever, I just don't let people get that close. To much money and time to get it to let someone screw with it. Then again I am only playing hour sets at a time and not all night so I guess that is different.

I did have about 5 guys stand around me friday night and tell me how awsome my LP was. Me 5 drunk guys and a $2K les paul could of got scary but they where cool and wanted to talk gear and where respectfull.

13 (edited by t92780 2010-11-22 15:51:02)

Interesting Thread Joe.

I wonder how many forum members actually play in public every week or every month on this board? How many of them actually have a $5k amp? 

I find it interesting if someone has a $5k amp and doesn't use it at gigs- seems pointless to own and the excuses I've heard over the years are just poor excuses.  Maybe because I've only really played in local gin mill bar by myself after being coaxed to get guitar after too many cocktails, but I assign someoone to watch my CS guitar(s) when I take a break - no touchie feelie without me approving.

If using a  Two Rock Jet combo (3K amp and nice pedal board = nearly $5k..lol) qualifies, I'll take footage next time, probably this week, as only little clip is with a $200 old fender princeton solid state amp = non qualifying amp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_6G2unPi8

Love to see forum members high-end gear in action!!

Thats what I was getting at last week when I said people will buy $3000 guitars and use cheap amps.  If I could have done things different I would have went and got a better amp from the get go instead of mulitple guitars that I no longer own.  Or maybe just get cheap stuff like I do now. 

TubeSaturation wrote:

I think the only thing that changes for me is if I use a 2x12 cab at home, or a 4x12 at a larger gig. Most gigging musicians cant afford $5k amps because we're too poor from buying bus/train tickets and more strings...I'll get some pics up in a week or so.

Heh, I once went with a 10 year stretch of not even owning an amp during my professional gigging career.  Had to beg, borrow and steal amps from various sources to get by.  For a while there I had a Peavey keyboard amp that I got on extended loan from a friend.

I had (and still have) a beautiful '74 Les Paul Deluxe that I played through it (via a MIJ Boss DS-1).  Sounded ok.  big_smile

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Joe, I go on youtube to look for you playing the expensive stuff on stage!  wink

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B...  cool

First, I don't have those expensive amps, but what I do have I use live and/or in the studio. Guitars, amps, keyboards, whatever. What I have is what I use.

I will try to get some pics on Sunday. 

I use a moderately priced setup depending on who you are. I play every Sunday in a Theater. Its a church but its basically a rock show... I use a Vox AC15HW which is a 1000 dollar amp and a Bruno Underground 30 2x12 combo which is a 3000 dollar amp. 

The R8 = 3000, the pedal board about 1000ish, The amps= 4000,  I have about an 8000 dollar rig at church.
Its not a Joe B setup and trust me I did not spend 8000 dollars on that gear but...

I'll set up a Youtube account and try to get some demos out for you all.

I have some bad video demo's of us playing but i'll be using my Zoom Q3 this week to try to get a better video.  We'll see how it turns out.