Topic: Burstbucker #2 and #3 set

Hey Everyone....

I have an opportunity to buy an unused set of BB 2 and BB 3.  I was thinking about replacing the BB1 and 2 in my RI58.  Those of you who have experience with these pickups can you please give my your impressions of them as well as what you think of the change?

I know that the BB2 and BB3 in the JBLP are wax potted and the pickups you buy from Gibson are not...does that really make a huge difference?  I am not playing any real High gain stuff...the highest gain stuff i do is KISS.  and that is very rare....mostly Zeppelin...Cream....Hendrix...

Let me know what you think...

thanks

Barry

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Re: Burstbucker #2 and #3 set

I hated the BB2/3 at first as they are a bit on the hot side for my tastes so you have to really dial back the gain in OD situations. Actually even in VERY clean settings these pups can force clipping so that is my only issue with them.

That hot of a wind can darken the pup and clarity suffers a bit. Compared to a "cooler" wind bucker like a Rolph PAF or Sakashta Vintage Sweet.

The Shaw PAFs in the 83-85 ES 335 reissues are the best PAF style humbucker I have ever heard- much cooler wind than the burstbucker. Keep that in mind.

The good news is- for non MV amps they do a great job to help with the natural power section over drive. Old Plexis and even my Dumble style circuits that do very well. I just have to pump the gain and OD gain up when I switch to my other guitars.

Anyone else?...I expect more thoughts from the JBLP owners....

Being a L.P owner (I have a set of Mules at 7-8k) - I'd say they are too hot.

Even at higher gain settings, lower output pups keep everything tight and under control...higher outputs start to lose it a bit...
I much prefer the 1&2...then again, I much much prefer other pickup companies...  roll

I like the way they hit the front of the amp.  I just recieved a JBLP with a bigsby with the 2/3 combo and it works for me.,  I generally like a fair amount of front end from a pick up.  I feel the overdrive is sweeter.  Anywho.. I dont really use a sparkly clean sound so it works for me.. either way the BB are my favorite overall pick up.  The WCR set that jim builds for me is ace as well.  A bit clearer and more articulate.. I depends on what the application calls for ..
Joe B

I always like the 57' Classics better then the Burst buckers.  I've tired the 3, and I've tired pro's and to me all those pickups are not creamy sounding.  The 3 is harsh, but unlike Joe I don't blend amps so maybe thats a big factor in him liking the 2/3 combo.  Personally I had classics in a ES-335, an SG Standard, and a Les Paul Classic.  They sounded best in the ES-335 and pretty good with the SG.  Hated them in the Les Paul but things went south with that Les Paul when I installed a bigsby (inspired by Joe's 58' RI)  I felt like the tone was thinned out with the bigsby so maybe a burstbucker 3 would have fixed that.

After much hemming and hawing I finally switched out the BB1 and BB2 in my 58RI for the set of '57 classic/classic plus set in my Gold-top Traditional and I tell you what....I am super glad I did.  The '58 sounds amazing!!!!  The pickups really open her up.  The neck pickup is so much clearer and articulate than the BB1....wow

Plus I move the black plastic over as well and left off the pick-guard on the '58.  She looks beautiful.  Even though she is a plain top, the grain is gorgeous.  The black pick-up rings and switch washer goes so well with the bourbon burst.  Now I am waiting for the Gold-top to return and see how she looks and sounds....

Interesting - I have 1 & 2 in my '57 Historic Goldtop and although I like them, I always wondered why it didn't come with '57 Classics? I really liked the '57's in an LP Traditional I had for a few days. I may consider a pup swap....

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

I've found it really depends on the guitar. Some pickups just don't work well in certain guitars. I love the 57 Classics in my 01-R8 and they're never coming out. I've got a set of Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and a custom wound PAF style set that I want to try in a couple of other LP's to see what sounds best in each. In the end I might have that set of BB 2/3's your wanting. I'll let you know if I do.

kevman13 wrote:

Interesting - I have 1 & 2 in my '57 Historic Goldtop and although I like them, I always wondered why it didn't come with '57 Classics? I really liked the '57's in an LP Traditional I had for a few days. I may consider a pup swap....

Well I can tell you from my experience it was worth it to me.  If you do the swap, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well.

The Gold Top Traditional has returned.  It now has the '58's cream plastic on it.  I have kept both pick guards off of each guitar.  They look amazing.

As for tone....WOW!!!!

Putting the BB1 and BB2 set into the Traditional really opened up the pickups.  I have to say now I am totally happy with the way both guitar's sound now.  The tone takes me back to the late 70's.  Sustain that lasts forever.  Now I am fully confident that at any point in time either guitar will deliver the goods when needed...just wish the player could too...LOL   lol   lol   lol

Now I can focus on getting an amp to complete my rig.....JTM 45 or 2550/2553/2554 would definitely work for me....

LesPaul4 wrote:

The Gold Top Traditional has returned.  It now has the '58's cream plastic on it.  I have kept both pick guards off of each guitar.  They look amazing.

As for tone....WOW!!!!

Putting the BB1 and BB2 set into the Traditional really opened up the pickups.  I have to say now I am totally happy with the way both guitar's sound now.  The tone takes me back to the late 70's.  Sustain that lasts forever.  Now I am fully confident that at any point in time either guitar will deliver the goods when needed...just wish the player could too...LOL   lol   lol   lol

Now I can focus on getting an amp to complete my rig.....JTM 45 or 2550/2553/2554 would definitely work for me....

Follow up.....

The Traditional goldtop now has a '57 goldtop vibe going on and the black plastic on the '58 really brings the red out in the burbounburst of the '58.......

pics???