Topic: Hi from PaulyT

Howdy JB fans!  cool Been a member and occasional lurker for a while, decided it's time to check this place out a little more...

- Paul

"It's really liberating to not know you can't do something." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
My photos: http://chemicalgraphics.smugmug.com/

Re: Hi from PaulyT

Oh I guess I'm supposed to say a little more about myself. Well, I'm a computer programmer/chemist working for NIH in Bethesda, MD, and I live in Baltimore. I'm 40, married, father of two kids (4,7).

I've been a big fan of Joe's since last summer when a friend on another forum suggested I might like "Live from Nowhere in Particular" - which is still my favorite album. I play classical piano. I spend a lot of time with audio gear, both home audio and (to a lesser extent) live sound stuff with a rock band I worked with for a while. These things are connected in that I admire Joe greatly for his musicianship, more than for his technique (which I gather is quite good wink). And I think his sound engineers are stellar - the sound quality of his studio albums and live stuff (LFNIP and Royal Albert) is amazing.

Anyway, I listen to a lot of classical music (still my first love), blues, jazz, folk/prog rock.

- Paul

"It's really liberating to not know you can't do something." - Stevie Ray Vaughan

PaulyT wrote:

Oh I guess I'm supposed to say a little more about myself. Well, I'm a computer programmer/chemist working for NIH in Bethesda, MD, and I live in Baltimore. I'm 40, married, father of two kids (4,7).

I've been a big fan of Joe's since last summer when a friend on another forum suggested I might like "Live from Nowhere in Particular" - which is still my favorite album. I play classical piano. I spend a lot of time with audio gear, both home audio and (to a lesser extent) live sound stuff with a rock band I worked with for a while. These things are connected in that I admire Joe greatly for his musicianship, more than for his technique (which I gather is quite good wink). And I think his sound engineers are stellar - the sound quality of his studio albums and live stuff (LFNIP and Royal Albert) is amazing.

Anyway, I listen to a lot of classical music (still my first love), blues, jazz, folk/prog rock.

Welcome, PaulyT, from a fellow Marylander (there are several of us who lurk/post semi-regularly)...I grew up in Bethesda and now live in Thurmont....will probably see you at the next local (Baltimore-ish) show if it's not too expensive.

You might be interested to know (if you didn't already) that Joe studied classical guitar for a few years very early on in his playing career (which if I recall correctly began at age 4 with a travel-sized guitar) and you can hear the influences on several songs throughout the catalog, and recent live versions of the "Woke Up Dreaming" medley in mid-set.

Welcome again...hope you post often.

CarljMD (no, I'm not a Doctor, Cathy LOL)

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Cool, didn't know that about Joe, but I guess it's not surprising giving his playing style. I don't know that much about guitar technique, but he does seem to have more of a classical guitar style of using his fingers - e.g. not just a pick.

And FYI, I'm going to the Reading, PA show on 3/23! Only a couple hours drive for me. One of my work colleagues lives in Thurmont up on the side of the mountain, beautiful area!

- Paul

CarljMD wrote:

CarljMD (no, I'm not a Doctor, Cathy LOL)

I had to ask when I read this Carl, and yes, it's true!  lol

Hey Pauly, I gotta say that the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your user name was........Sopranos.  big_smile

As an honorary Marylander, I should also extend a special welcome to an addition to the fold! You'll meet Cathy and Jane at the Reading show - I was hoping to be there too but that's sadly looking increasingly unlikely.  sad

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

Hey Pauly, I gotta say that the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your user name was........Sopranos.  big_smile

lol  lol  lol  Well I'm about as far from a gangster as you can get - a church-going scientist nerd who grew up in Los Alamos, NM - where the H-bomb was developed - and who listens to classical music and does yoga.  tongue My only redeeming quality is that I like jazz+blues too, and - obviously - Joe.

As an honorary Marylander, I should also extend a special welcome to an addition to the fold! You'll meet Cathy and Jane at the Reading show - I was hoping to be there too but that's sadly looking increasingly unlikely.  sad

Sorry if you miss it, but yeah I'd welcome the chance to hook up with anyone else from this forum who'll be there. So who's gonna get me backstage to a meet&greet or something so I can get a picture with Joe?  cool (one can dream...)

- Paul

PaulyT wrote:

a church-going scientist nerd

Nope, we ain't got too many of those around here yet.  lol   lol

We ain't got too many prepared to be that brutally frank about themselves either. I doff my hat in your general direction, sir!

If I may say so - excellent editing of quotes for a new poster, top marks! It took some people years to learn how to do that fancy stuff!  tongue

Others still don't know how!  lol

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

8 (edited by Angela 2011-02-08 20:13:34)

Welcome PaulyT,

I'm not sure if you've collected everything Joe yet, but you might be interested in this documentary featuring Tom Dowd, whose interests were in nuclear physics. He actually worked top secret on the Manhattan Project contributing to the atomic bomb, until it dawned on him what was going down.... Dowd switched gears to music producer/engineer and had a remarkable career and actually handled Joe's first album, A New Day Yesterday.  Joe is in the documentary.
http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Dowd-Language … B00011ZBOS

So, as a church-going scientist nerd, I am really curious, do you have any opinions on Bill O'Reilly's comment about the tides?

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Hey Angela! Cool, thanks for the link - I've ordered the video, should be very interesting! I've gotten way more interested in the production side of things since I've done a little live sound work with a local band - still have a mixer and some speakers and cables etc. in my living room. I knew of Tom Dowd and that he worked with Joe, but had no idea he was a physicist and involved with the Manhattan Project! That's wild.

I pay exactly zero attention to the media, so I hadn't heard about that O'Reilly thing. My initial response on googling it just now: oh PLEASE.  roll  IMHO God set up the world as it is - physics and all - so he wouldn't have to spend all his time controlling every little thing. It's also directly connected to our free will. I'll leave it at that.  cool

- Paul

Oh, and Angela, I like your avatar. That Clapton/King album is great!  cool

- Paul

Pauly,
A science guy that's got the media tuned out, very interesting; I got totally tuned in after 9/11, now just try to stay informed without being oversaturated & often resort to reading.  Science guys have so many eccentric qualities, it continues to amaze me, generally speaking and I don't mean that in a negative way, their brains process info different than mine, it gets interesting...  big_smile   I'm married to a science guy who plays guitar as a hobby & turned me on to Joe and my oldest son is a college physics major, looking at the PhD program at Univ. of Maryland.   If we should ever meet somewhere between Philly and Maryland, I think we would have something to talk about, doing with the leave it at that part...   wink

I see you have a wide range of music loves...do you enjoy any opera, like Andrea Boccelli?

And Maryland has some diehard Joe fans including frequent forum members: Jane H., Cathy Siler and Carl to name a few, I think also taurus somebody or other.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Yeah, I know Jane H. already. She and I think she said Cathy, and I, will all be at Joe's upcoming Reading, PA show in March. You gonna be there? I'd be glad to meet you if so.

I'm not that much into opera, though I have some. Joan Sutherland is one of my favs. The majority of my classical stuff is centered around piano, as that's what I play (though not so much since the kids came around  roll ). My taste in music is pretty wide, yeah - classical, blues, jazz, bluegrass, folk, rock (more classic). I'll like anything with some musical depth to it, regardless of style. I got to Joe through my blues exploration, but I see (in my mind anyway) some classical in his depth of expression and phrasing and long musical lines.

- Paul

13 (edited by can1208 2011-02-09 12:09:34)

Hi all of you Joe B fans...from Columbia MD. I'm a recent certified Bona-Nut.....so to say. I watched the excerpted RAH show a few weeks ago on Palladia/HDNet (purely by chance) and was completely blown away...I mean, being a diehard Clapton fan and all, where have I been all this time??? How have I never known about Joe B?? What cave have I been hiding in?? Ah, the guilt, the sorrow......enough said...

Since then I've bought both DVDs (RAH and Rockpalast), immersed myself in all of his music, read up on many interviews, heck I even got the Paul Jones show DL'ed. Joe's talent, quiet demeanor, stage presence, all of it - just completely bowled me over.

Being a little late in the game with all things Joe B, I'm an Electrical Engineer from Va Tech (go Hokies), I work as a Program Manager at U of MD (prior to that I worked at Hughes in Germantown as a Director of Engg), married, one daughter age 7. Wife's a practising child psychiatrist. We're originally from Bombay India, settled in MD since the late 80s....

I will be going to the Reading PA show, unfortunately being late in the game got seats up in Orch Left, Row P. Ouch.....Blame the ticketmaster scam gods. I'm meeting up in Reading with another Irish-American friend that worked with me a few years ago - he hails from Devon PA but used to live in Columbia. Judging from all of last year's show reviews and having seen some torrent snippets,  this ought to be good.

Any ideas what the band will look like? I know Bogie Bowles is gone, replaced by Tal Bergman, but what about the horn section, the bass, and keyboards? Anyone know what it will look like?

Also...would anyone want to carpool from MD and do quick intros and have dinner in Reading near the venue? I plan to leave here around 2:30, don't want to get caught up in the I-83 northbound mad hatter's rush hour......TIA..... smile

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

Welcome fellow Marylander! My seats for the Reading show aren't that much different from yours, and I got them several weeks ago... Oh well, I'm not too worried, it looks like that hall isn't particularly large.

- Paul

Jane H. wrote:

hey can1208, i don't think there is going to be a horn section, Carmine Rojas on bass and Rick Melick on keys (and tricks wink).
i hope i can get to leave the area fairly early but its a not good week for me time wise. i haven't seen Joe for about a year so i won't complain but these school night, hour+ away shows suck some of the fun out of it for me...

Hi...is there a meet and greet planned for the Reading show? After reading the review for the Anaheim show, I am really motivated.....

I don't know, but I hope there is; I've already put in a request with J&R to go to a meet&greet if they have one. Haven't heard back yet... still hoping! Also requested a "pro" camera pass - I'm not a pro, but I have a decent camera that I'd like to bring.

- Paul

PaulyT wrote:

I don't know, but I hope there is; I've already put in a request with J&R to go to a meet&greet if they have one. Haven't heard back yet... still hoping! Also requested a "pro" camera pass - I'm not a pro, but I have a decent camera that I'd like to bring.

I put in a request for a camera pass too (about 2 weeks ago...) any ideas when (or if or how)  they provide these? I've heard nothing by email or otherwise....I want to bring a nice DSLR with some decent zoom lenses...

No, I don't know what the timing on these things is. Folks seem to say that J&R people generally respond quickly; could be they just haven't gotten around to working on the Reading show details yet... one show at a time, I guess!

- Paul