Topic: Joe playing a guitar with P-90's ?

I am trying to wrack my brain, but cannot recall if I have ever seen Joe playing a guitar with P-90 pickups in a public performance anywhere.

Anybody seen or heard any clips?  I'd be interested to hear what these pickups sound like in his hands...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Re: Joe playing a guitar with P-90's ?

Devan wrote:

I am trying to wrack my brain, but cannot recall if I have ever seen Joe playing a guitar with P-90 pickups in a public performance anywhere.

Anybody seen or heard any clips?  I'd be interested to hear what these pickups sound like in his hands...

I remember reading somewhere that he's not a fan of them.  You would think though, in his massive collection, he probably has a guitar with them like an sg special or something...  -Seth

I am not a huge fan of P-90 pickups.. I find them too smooth and flat sounding for me.. Now with that said... Kevin Shirley's Les Paul Junior 1955 model is killer.  I have an old gold top with P-90's that I have owned for 12 years that is good.. Plus some various archtop Gibsons with P-90's that I like.  Again its a taste thing not fact.. I mean Leslie West did ok with them right?  Biggest most bad arse guitar sound ever on those Mountain records..
Joe B

4 (edited by Logo33 2011-02-27 19:28:15)

Here's a video of Joe playing p-90's.... still sounds like Joe! And Tim Bogert still has some crazy pipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cuw1sS-xjk

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Thanks Joe, for the reply, and thanks Logo33 for posting that great clip.

That guitar in that clip (and I assume it is the gold top that Joe mentioned in his reply) still sounds like it has a lot of grit, although it doesn't sound as 'thick' as his normal Burstbucker guitars.  cool

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Hence said Gold top... That was a wacky deal for me.  Paul Reed Smith trying to force me to play one of his guitars mid-song. I was like who is this crazy man with the guitar??? oops.. Sorry Paul. One for the record books indeed..
Joe B

Wow, what a killer video Logan, thanks for posting it!

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Joe-
Do you have any major experience with PRS guitars, since you brought it up? I know you're obviously a LP man, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I do really dig the new pickups that they were making.

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Love the drumming on that one. Appice has a very deep pocket...

ken wrote:

Love the drumming on that one. Appice has a very deep pocket...

absolutely   *thumbs up*

PIT...  cool

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I am not a huge fan of P-90 pickups.. I find them too smooth and flat sounding for me.. Now with that said... Kevin Shirley's Les Paul Junior 1955 model is killer.
Joe B

I think there's a photo of you playing it on the couch on your FB page.

Hey LOGO,
I remember back in the HTCT tour Joe traveled with a PRS that had two F holes in it... I don't remember him ever using it, so it must have been a backup, but I remember seeing it in the guitar rack next to the Gigliottis, Les Paul, Goldie, the other strat, the old Airline, and the Chandler LextraSlides...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I love the sound of P90 Les Pauls.  And that video was great. I've also considered putting TV Jones Powertron pickups in my les paul.  I havent gotten the balls to mess with the R8 except to take off the pickguard. We'll see what the future holds.