Topic: ? for Joe about the 59 LP

Joe, I was wondering if you've thought about changing the tuners over to Grovers on the 59 LP?

Re: ? for Joe about the 59 LP

I doubt he would.....unless they slip....and to swap them on that guitar wouldn't the holes have to widened, decreasing value?

Why do you ask?

Its a very popular mod back in the 60's and its on about all his other Les Pauls.  This is a players les paul not some collectors item, if it was it wouldn't be on the road.  I could easily see joe doing this.  Not to meantion that someone posted a link earlier in the week that had tons of pics of that guitar and the pushed in bushings look like they could fall out right now anyway due to the wood shrinking.  I could see joe doing either to be honest.  If it starts causing tuning problems I'm sure something drastic would happen, either they get swapped or he retires it.

Has Joe recently got himself a '59 LP? couldn't Imagine him taking out on tour though not after what happened to JB52!

Ted179 wrote:

Has Joe recently got himself a '59 LP? couldn't Imagine him taking out on tour though not after what happened to JB52!

http://www.youtube.com/user/premierguit … MyVy7KqCWQ

Oh he is out on tour with it.  Some people like getting their kick living life on the edge, Joe takes vintage rare guitars and forces them out of retirement.  Wild man totally puts Joe on a new level to me now.  You got to have respect for a guy thats willing to go all out for his fans and if playing a 59' les paul does it then no doubt Joe will make it happen and already has.

I don't think he'll take it overseas. The flights are what destroy guitars (or the handling getting onto the plane anyway)
I only found out the other day about this guitar too. I figured there would be numerous posts about it on here, but there are very few.

8 (edited by RickB 2011-03-13 15:12:44)

I bet he takes it everywhere. He's said it is The One and that it has a tone that cuts beyond any guitar he has owned or played. He'll buy it a seat and hand carry it to Europe. There are posts and threads all over the place about it.  cool
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

No.. I don't have the heart to put Grovers on it... It would be more stable in the tuning department..  I will eventually have to have it refretted... The Frets are 52 years young... The guitar will speak a lot more (which is a scary thought) than it does now.  The mids will be more pronounced.. I am gonna play it.. Live and in the studio...  Its not a guitar to be scared of... Its just a really wonderful Sunburst Gibson Les Paul...
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

No.. I don't have the heart to put Grovers on it... It would be more stable in the tuning department..  I will eventually have to have it refretted... The Frets are 52 years young... The guitar will speak a lot more (which is a scary thought) than it does now.  The mids will be more pronounced.. I am gonna play it.. Live and in the studio...  Its not a guitar to be scared of... Its just a really wonderful Sunburst Gibson Les Paul...
Joe B

Joe, if you're looking for more stable tuners...try the Tonepros ones. They're great!!! Tonepros bought the Kluson Company and now offers that style of vintage tuner with all the tightness and better gear ratios of the best modern sealed tuners. And they'll fit with no mods.

I had some tuning issues on one of my SG's so I put a set of Tonepros on it and problem solved. They seem a bit heavier than the stock tuners, not the best thing for a headstock heavy guitar like an SG but it sounds better smile  and has more sustain and that's what it's all about.

RP

Guitars: 2002 Gibson R8, 2008 Gibson SG Standard, 1977 Fender Statocaster, 1979 el Degas Les Paul Custom, 2011 Epiphone JB Les Paul
Amps: 1982 Marshall 4010

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Love it! A guitar is meant to be played! Just don't check it, it deserves it's own seat.  wink

In GB, Joe told us the tuners were swapped out so the original ones don't break. Since it's being played, it will need lots of new strings which would be too much wear and tare on the fragile tuning peg ends.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Wow, that is so, so, perfect.

It's a guitar that deserves to be played and I'm thrilled that your the guy that's gonna play it.

conorb

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Well if you ever choose to, I have a couple of old pat. pend sets your welcome to use.

Stay Safe

Damn, the body on that '59 is in GREAT shape. Looks like a GILP to to me (Guitar I'd like to play).

I second that!

rpic wrote:

Damn, the body on that '59 is in GREAT shape. Looks like a GILP to to me (Guitar I'd like to play).

If you FF to 2:10 you'll hear his explanation on getting the '59 burst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMyVy7Kq … ure=relmfu

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Love the Grolsch beer washer that JB uses to keep the strap on. You can buy a bag of 100 washers for less than the cost of a six pack! Never liked that beer anyway....