Topic: Joe's Marshall DSL Settings

My apologies - I imagine this topic has been covered and thoroughly exhausted ad nauseum. I searched and couldn't find the threads. We all know Joe uses DSL's occaisonally for a backline. Does anyone know his settings?

Cheers and thanks
Kevin

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

2 (edited by helrazr84 2011-03-28 22:23:01)

Re: Joe's Marshall DSL Settings

FOUND THIS SO FAR:

For best results in getting BCC tones..
collectable gear:
Marshall superbass 1968 100 watt plexiglass panel
Marshall Jubilee 100 watt 
two Marshall super bass extra tall stereo cabinets with EV-12 L speakers.. (critical link..they yeild distorted yet clear tones)
Gibson Historic Les Paul with burstbucker 2 and three.. (authors note-- I suggest a joe bonamassa signature model for safest and best results)
Non Collectable new store bought gear.
2-DSL 2000 marshall 100 watt heads  set to cleanish.. crank the drive to 10 and the master to 6.  dump all the treble and leave the presence around three.  Bass three and mid 5.
1 marshall straight stereo cabinet.  with 75 watt celestions.. But honestly get the EVs.. way better to my ears.
guitar same as above.. again I want you to be in good hands.
pedals..
Fuzzface
MXR micro flange
Jimi Hendrix crybaby
ts-808 reissue tubescreamer set to gain 10, tone between 10 and 11 o clock and volume 10
Boss DD-3
WayHuge Pork loin
Way huge aqua-puss..
thats the keys to the car...  Hope that helps..
Joe Bonamassa recovering from a slight head cold..

No problem sharing.. I use the DSL-s with EV speakers for BCC.. 
I use the clean channel with the drive at 10/ and the volume at 6.5   I use the the treble at 2 mid at 5 bass at 4 and presence at 3 ..  I use one the bass shift in and one without and the front end is a reissue Tubescreamer  808 with the gain and and vol at 10 tone is set at 11 o'clock.
Hope that helps..
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa2009-05-11 02:04:04
Administrator
Cool!, I actually miss spoke... Use the clean channel settings.. pres 4 bass 5 mid 5.5 treb 2 vol 6 gain 6 with the tube screamer.  mid shift off, and bass boost off..  Thats what I use for fly gigs only use two of them through one cab..  I actually just witnessed what my whole theory is on tone secrets.. My hero plugged straight in and achieved the greatest tone with one guitar and amp..  I am happy to share anything I have learned..
Joe B (up late, ship lagged.. ferry ride messed with my hours..)

interestingly enough, I tried the settings Joe posted for his Jubilee on another thread, on my JCA20h, and it sounded great!

Joe's magic settings work on any amp big_smile big_smile

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

No problem sharing.. I use the DSL-s with EV speakers for BCC.. 
I use the clean channel with the drive at 10/ and the volume at 6.5   I use the the treble at 2 mid at 5 bass at 4 and presence at 3 ..  I use one the bass shift in and one without and the front end is a reissue Tubescreamer  808 with the gain and and vol at 10 tone is set at 11 o'clock.
Hope that helps..
Joe B

cheers joe now we can start to play with those settings, next time someone says "you get a great tone from your marshall" i will say  Joe bonamassa told me to me to do this!!!     big_smile  big_smile  big_smile   will they belive us .. i doubt it big_smile

Wow thanks Joe! Just curious - on the Clean Channel, do you use Clean or Clean Crunch? (I know I am pushing it... tongue )

Cheers
Kevin

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...

AndreS wrote:

interestingly enough, I tried the settings Joe posted for his Jubilee on another thread, on my JCA20h, and it sounded great!

Is that presence 5, bass 10, Mid 7.5, Treble 4.5, Master 10 , volume to taste, gain 5?

kevman13 wrote:

Wow thanks Joe! Just curious - on the Clean Channel, do you use Clean or Clean Crunch? (I know I am pushing it... tongue )

Cheers
Kevin

Yeah I would also like to know this as well, I recently used those very settings Joe kindly gave us but I was in the crunch (green) channel and just using a BD2 and JB179#,there were five bands playing also at the same gig and we all went threw the same DSL, but I was the only one using the green channel, and the other guys could not  believe the tone I was getting, even with the volume rolled back on the guitar for rhythm parts! Clean or Crunch??? Cheers Joe

10 (edited by kevman13 2011-03-29 16:59:27)

Ok - just tried Joe's settings -  I get it now - holy smokes.  "Clean Crunch" Green channel all the way (unless of course Joe chimes in and corrects me). Volume/tone control manipulation is a MUST.  With the knobs on 10 it was too gained out...at 4-6 on  both I had all the control I needed and man what a tone! I just wasn't gassing it hard enough before I guess.

About 6 weeks ago I spent over $200 on Genelex Gold Lion tubes and up until today was a tad underwhelmed. Not anymore - this amp flat out howls! Maybe tomorrow I'll post some clips of me playing some BCC riffs if I can muster up the cahones. The JB FUzz on top pushing it over the edge sounds....very  cool

My settings are pretty close to this. I'll have to try JB's settings next time I turn the beast on instead of the class 5

Gibson Collectors Choice #6
Joe Bonamassa Custom Shop Goldtop Unaged 1st run
Alvarez Acoustic '95
Gibson Skylark GA5-T '65, Marshall JTM45 Reissue, Fender Princton Reverb '72, Modded Bugera V5, Fender Bandmaster '68, Marshall Silver Jubilee 2558

It's clean green, with the tube screamer for the OD.

randall wrote:

It's clean green, with the tube screamer for the OD.

i think you'll find it's the Green 'Crunch' channel....huge difference in volume with those two modes

He says clean channel, not crunch. plus when you put the amp to his settings and with the tube screamerl set to the same settings you get that sound. the crunch is thinner and brighter. i could be wrong, not trying to start anything. But it sounds right to me.