Topic: Fender Pawn Shop Series - No April Fooling

Got an email from Musician's Friend about Fender's new series. They're weird looking if you ask me, but I love that F hole in the Strat.

Here's the link - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/fender-p … p;ZYXSEM=0

Fire away your opinions.

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

Re: Fender Pawn Shop Series - No April Fooling

you sure it's no April fool's joke?

I don't yet know what to think really...:P

3 (edited by Jimmy 2011-04-01 11:20:07)

Jesse wrote:

you sure it's no April fool's joke?

I don't yet know what to think really...:P

Honestly, the first thing that popped into my mind was that it's a joke. It has also been added to Fender's site as well. From what I understand on other forums, Fender announced there was going to be a new series sometime last week. I even added one to my cart on MF to see if the following page said April Fools. If it's a joke, it's a dam* good one.

I was the first to review it on MF and asked the question which will get kicked out

You know Squire came out with these 5 or 6 years ago they just dropped a fender logo on it.

I know we beat this to death here... But I feel like if Fender spent just half the time working on making practial guitars for a working musician that had that vibe and feel of the vintage stuff most of us want... While also coming up with some newer technology like better pickups... finishes... neck shapes... S-1 switching and other switching options... I think of the Esquire that had a hidden pickup under the pickguard. I think that is cool.  I like esquires and that gives you options while still having the look.

And spend a little less time working on cheesy awkward designs and lame signature models for people we dont care about (avril Lavigne) and skipping the signature models we want (mike campbells broadcaster or Bruce Springsteens Tele)...

Then maybe we'd actually care about htat comapny anymore.  I'd rather have Bill Nash build me an american made... custom ordered, nitro finished, relic'd Esquire for 1600 dollars than pay fender 3000 for the custom shop equivalent. Its sad that they have gone down the path they went down.  They really need to get someone in there who is going to get affordable working instruments out and leave the wierd looking stuff to Squire.

I'm a Fender guy and all I have to say about this is AMEN!  But Gibson should stop doing this too.  The only American group that builds nice working class guitars anymore that have improved designs every year seems to be PRS.  They have their high end stuff too, but you can step into a number of high end instruments from them for less then $2000 being some are korean made.  I think Leo Fender never had a $ sign in his mind when he started building Esquires, and Telecasters back in the 50's, He had one goal move an instrument forward in an area it was lacking.  Leo did that, he wasn't the first guy to build a solid body guitar but he was the first one to build a production line solid body guitar.  No sooner did he do that he came out with the Stratocaster whats might be the most popular body shape and copied guitar in the history of modern guitar.  Leo would be spining around in his grave to see a Fender 51.  There is no refinements to it, and it looks like about the quality of the 51 squire.  Its as I recall a tele neck, strat body, some fender bass pickguard and a Humbucker???  Stop trying to rewrite history with this ugly guitars.  I told myself I was going to hold back, you can thank me later that I did.

jgalvan8804 wrote:

I know we beat this to death here... But I feel like if Fender spent just half the time working on making practial guitars for a working musician that had that vibe and feel of the vintage stuff most of us want... While also coming up with some newer technology like better pickups... finishes... neck shapes... S-1 switching and other switching options... I think of the Esquire that had a hidden pickup under the pickguard. I think that is cool.  I like esquires and that gives you options while still having the look.

And spend a little less time working on cheesy awkward designs and lame signature models for people we dont care about (avril Lavigne) and skipping the signature models we want (mike campbells broadcaster or Bruce Springsteens Tele)...

Then maybe we'd actually care about htat comapny anymore.  I'd rather have Bill Nash build me an american made... custom ordered, nitro finished, relic'd Esquire for 1600 dollars than pay fender 3000 for the custom shop equivalent. Its sad that they have gone down the path they went down.  They really need to get someone in there who is going to get affordable working instruments out and leave the wierd looking stuff to Squire.

I didnt mean to just mention Fender... In fact I erased Gibson from the first line of my post.  I realized I was describing Fender suggestions and it didnt make any sense.  That said you are right... Gibson and Fender need to get back in the making really good affordable guitar business again. The only Gibsons that I play that feel set up right are Custom Shop.  And Fender has some good American stuff.  Maybe if Guitar Center was an actual store and set up the guitars right then we wouldnt be complaining as much.

I agree with much of what has already been said. I read a commentary on Fender awhile ago that was pretty interesting. It essentially said that Fender isn't in the business of making high quality guitars, it's in the business of making money. The example that was given explained how Fender will never give its consumer base the exact products they want because continuing to offer guitars that are "closer than ever" to their ancestors will rope people in every time and make substantially more profit. If the market's saturated with perfect copies at reasonable prices, the company would cease to exist. It's Marketing 101. When I pull the trigger on a Thinline Strat, It'll be a G&L.

AD3THREE wrote:

You know Squire came out with these 5 or 6 years ago they just dropped a fender logo on it.

I'm pretty sure the only one of these 3 Pawn Shop guitars that was ever available as a Squier was the '51.  The '72 Pawn Shop Fender looks interesting.  Premier Guitar has a video review:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2011 … ecial.aspx

Your right, the 51 was the only one that Squire built.  But the 72' is the same guitar setup with a simi hollow body.  I'm not saying they are bad guitars but I am saying as a Fender guy I feel let down.

That said I got to play my friends new Mexico Standard Telecaster.  I was impressed with the sound coming out of the pickups stock.  We opened the control cavity up and it was fully sheilded!  We were going to replace the tone cap from a .047 to a .022 uF.  As I was soldering on his guitar I noticed that the cheap pots have been replace with Brass shaft CTS pots!  I was very impressed to say the least.  So I do think that Fender is good about giving buyers good quality these days in the electronics department, and the pickups aren't bad but they still could be better.  If Fender makes guitars to this caliber then the new

It seems as though Fender is coming out with a new spin on Strats, Teles, Jags EVERY WEEK.

Last cool Fender guitar I saw at a pawn shop was a 1976 Stratocaster... The asking price was 4000 dollars..  Me being polite I smiled and said wow!  that is a cool guitar..  Pawn shops for guitar shopping are insanely high priced.. I don't get the design mostly and the pawn shop relation.. but that is just me and Im soooo biased..  The new guys over at Fender are way cool and my old buds from Marshall and Yamaha..
JB

I guess all those 'pawn shop prize' guitars have long since gone. In those lovely pre-internet days not everyone knew how much these old guitars were worth...now everyone is an expert! Game over!

AD3THREE wrote:

Your right, the 51 was the only one that Squire built.  But the 72' is the same guitar setup with a simi hollow body.  I'm not saying they are bad guitars but I am saying as a Fender guy I feel let down.

That said I got to play my friends new Mexico Standard Telecaster.  I was impressed with the sound coming out of the pickups stock.  We opened the control cavity up and it was fully sheilded!  We were going to replace the tone cap from a .047 to a .022 uF.  As I was soldering on his guitar I noticed that the cheap pots have been replace with Brass shaft CTS pots!  I was very impressed to say the least.  So I do think that Fender is good about giving buyers good quality these days in the electronics department, and the pickups aren't bad but they still could be better.  If Fender makes guitars to this caliber then the new

I believe the Made in Mexico Fenders have the same electronics parts as the USA models, they're just assembled in Mexico.  That said, buy American anyway  wink

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

No the american pickups are slightly better.  They also have the Delta tone pot which is a no load switch when turned to 10.  Also I opened some american guitars up recently and they clearly do not sheild as well as the new mexico standard models, I mean its shocking.  Just like Gibson, the last gibson usa guitar I opened up was my dads les paul traditional pro, They put no sheilding paint in these guitar what so ever, Epiphone fully coats their cavities as does the mexico fenders.  I'm kind of to the point now where it makes more sense to buy cheap and mod it, going totally against what Joe Bonamassa does which is buy what you want to begin with and leave it alone.

17 (edited by DarthElvis 2011-04-03 17:05:03)

AD3THREE wrote:

I'm kind of to the point now where it makes more sense to buy cheap and mod it, going totally against what Joe Bonamassa does which is buy what you want to begin with and leave it alone.

I'm with you here. Not everyone has $1500.00+ for a guitar. $500.00- $700.00 is much more reasonable. Get different p/u later or whatever.
The 'strat' with the f-hole would look great with a standard Strat pickguard (have to be modified of course), maybe dump in different pickups depending on how the stock ones sound. Nothing wrong with this new line. I've seen worse, usually from Gibson.

AD3THREE wrote:

I'm kind of to the point now where it makes more sense to buy cheap and mod it, going totally against what Joe Bonamassa does which is buy what you want to begin with and leave it alone.

This makes total sense.

Pickups are the easiest way to change the tone of a guitar... and if the guitar sounded good to begin with, are the chances it will sound better or worse? The Crappy thing about pickups is you'll have NO idea what they'll sound like from guitar to guitar... and most people don't have the same make and model of pickups in all of their guitars. I know (for example) Kirk Hammett has EMG active pickups in all of his guitars, thinking he'll get a truer sound out of all his guitars. Me? I like my guitars to have all different flavors, it sort of justifies G.A.S. - you gotta have different sounds!  cool

I contemplated taking the '78 Gibson pickups out of my new (old) Les Paul Custom, but I really like to keep it all stock, and the pickups are better than decent, so I won't mess with it.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool