Topic: April 07' Guitar One, Joe the 21st Century Bluesbreaker!

April's Guitar One has "private lesson's" with Joe on the CD and a great guitar school lesson and article in the mag. It's an awesome interview and lesson!

But what I really enjoyed was Joe's Essential Blues Repertoire, ten song's any aspiring Bluesman should master.

1. SRV - Pride & Joy
2. Howlin Wolf - Superstitous (Jeff Beck too)
3. Eric Clapton - Steppin Out
4. T Bone Walker - Stormy Monday
5. Robert Johnson - Crossroads
6. BB King - The Thrill Is Gone
7. Muddy Waters - I Can't Be Satisfied
8. Free - Walk In My Shadows
9. Yardbirds - Train Kept A' Rollin'
10 Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign

Joe, awesome list!

Re: April 07' Guitar One, Joe the 21st Century Bluesbreaker!

Superb article and I think the changes in the Guitar One layout are great; Lessons, Gears and Songs all organized and labeled down the side so you can flip through it easily!  Joe is featured in Guitar School with an absolutely, positively stunning photo on page 31. Joe's in the Gear section too talking about picks, red vs. black...when your fingers are hot like Joe's, you gotta' go red!

LOVE the title and opening sentences: 21st CENTURY BLUESBREAKER..."When Joe Bonamassa plugs his Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 reissue into our studio's Marshall Handwired 1974X combo and starts jamming, he sounds uncannily like Eric Clapton in his Bluesbreakers days.  It's a tone that suits Bonamassa quite well..."

April issue-Eric Johnson on the cover!  I can't recall, have Eric and Joe ever met, played together?

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Hey Joe, 
     I took great delight in walking into Barnes & Noble and plucking a copy of Guitar One off the shelf.  Big smile smile broke out on my face when I saw your face on the cover.  There was a young fellow standing next to me and he said, "Is that a good guitar magazine?"  I said, "It is now, it's got Joe on it and in it!"  To which he replied, "Joe who?"  Then I said, "Joe Bonamassa the hottest blues guitarist & vocalist.  Ya' know they've got his CD's over in the music section."
[Young man smiles and wanders off] [pattyluvsjoe wanders around awhile then heads to CD area]  And there is the young man, in the "B" section with a set of headphones on, toe tapping,head movement.....pattyluvsjoe catches his eye....he flashes CD case "Blues Deluxe" and gives pattyluvsjoe a THUMBS UP!!!     the moment.....priceless.......
                     Have a fun day smile smile smile smile
                                                              Luv ya'

pattyluvsjoe

"One by one, day by day, if Joe plays it, they will come."    wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

GuitarOne ay?

I may be passing by my local B & N!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Great story Patty! I'll have to pick up a copy myself.

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

Hey Joe, 
     I took great delight in walking into Barnes & Noble and plucking a copy of Guitar One off the shelf.  Big smile smile broke out on my face when I saw your face on the cover.  There was a young fellow standing next to me and he said, "Is that a good guitar magazine?"  I said, "It is now, it's got Joe on it and in it!"  To which he replied, "Joe who?"  Then I said, "Joe Bonamassa the hottest blues guitarist & vocalist.  Ya' know they've got his CD's over in the music section."
[Young man smiles and wanders off] [pattyluvsjoe wanders around awhile then heads to CD area]  And there is the young man, in the "B" section with a set of headphones on, toe tapping,head movement.....pattyluvsjoe catches his eye....he flashes CD case "Blues Deluxe" and gives pattyluvsjoe a THUMBS UP!!!     the moment.....priceless.......
                     Have a fun day smile smile smile smile
                                                              Luv ya'

pattyluvsjoe

"One by one, day by day, if Joe plays it, they will come."    wink

Great story Patty!  I can't wait to get this one!!!

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Wow, Patty, you and Joe must be magic or something. smile

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

Joe's the one with the mojo !  smile

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

9 (edited by cathysiler 2007-03-04 00:54:06)

Thanks Patty, (and yes you do love Joe), for the word about Guitar one!! My best buddy is a great guitar player and the one that turned me on to Joe. He has spent the last year concentrating on charts. The enclosed cd-rom is going to make him happy! I also  like Eric Johnson and there are moments in Joe's songs that are similar. He's another guy you have to see live. He's different than Joe to me because he is into pedals, layering of music, more deliberate, but a master. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

Got my issue in the mail .

I love this magazine because it covers music and styles other than rock.

cathysiler wrote:

Thanks Patty, (and yes you do love Joe), for the word about Guitar one!! My best buddy is a great guitar player and the one that turned me on to Joe. He has spent the last year concentrating on charts. The enclosed cd-rom is going to make him happy! I also  like Eric Johnson and there are moments in Joe's songs that are similar. He's another guy you have to see live. He's different than Joe to me because he is into pedals, layering of music, more deliberate, but a master. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

My mission is to let the world know about Joe, he deserves it & I luv being a fan!!!  He's the best!!  pattyluvsjoe smile

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I got my issue, and its pretty sweet.  While I was there in the magazine section, I looked down and saw a big magazine with SRV on it.  it was vintage guitar magazine, and apparently he was inducted into the VG Hall Of Fame for under the "player" category.  I flipped through it, it give a mini bio on him, but I have, and read most of his full biography in book (instead of mag) form. 

More than anything it intrigued me.....For a while I've had a suspition that blues is on its way back to a mainstream music source.  I hear more and more blues songs being played and requested on "minnesota's classic rock, KQRS" instead of 80's hair metal... and This recent surge of "Soul" music with Dream Girls and American Idol, And more melodic rock and hip hop, like john mayer,the RH chili peppers,  and gnarls barkley,  and now 2 Blues players on the front cover of 2 separate magazines inn the front of the rack.   I can just feel another Blues Revival in the bigtime music Scene just around the corner.  It makes me sooooo happy inside.

I woke up this mornin', cant find my shoes.

samfrei wrote:

I hear more and more blues songs being played and requested on "minnesota's classic rock, KQRS" instead of 80's hair metal...

I'm glad to hear that Sam. I don't listen to KQRS that much anymore since I got XM. I think they still dominate the FM airwaves in the Twin Cities so more blues is definitely a good sign.