Topic: Joe B/Pink Floyd connection

You never can guess when musical interests are going to meet. One of the other bands we've been going to see for about 5 or 6 years now is The Machine. They play Pink Floyd music from all eras. The other day on their fantastic web site, someone mentioned Joe, and went on how great he is, and even mentioned Youtube to check him out. I jumped in there, and, among other things, mentioned his DVDs and live shows.
     So, I thought I could return the favor and tell you that these guys are a must see for anyone remotely interested in Pink Floyd. Yes you can check videos on their site, and on Youtube; but this band smokes live. For one thing, like Joe, they are affordable. Like the Allman Brothers, you can go to 10 shows in a row and not hear the same songs, in the same order. They also show their musical talent by throwing in the occassional off the wall jam of their own. We went on kind of a whim the first time, and have been going ever since.
     See them if you get the chance.

Bill

Re: Joe B/Pink Floyd connection

Yep, it's a question of musical crossroads alright smile. I wonder if Joe will ever get to jam with the Floyd one day (if he hasn't already?!). By the way, if anyone wants to listen to a real cool Floyd trib band, then The Australian Pink Floyd Show....it looks like PF itself have acknowledged TAPFS as the only OFFICIAL and authorized PF trib band!!

http://www.aussiefloyd.com/

Bill,
Pink Floyd on the radar...I've seen The Machine several times, they are totally awesome!!!  They come twice a year to a venue near me and play all different music.  They filmed a DVD when I last saw them at the Keswick Theater, we could possibly even be in it for the fans in the front rows.  I don't check their site much, so I'll have to check out the Joe connection and see if the DVD is for sale.  Thanks for the post!

In the back of my mind, with the European tour coming up, I just keep wondering who may show up in the audience, especially in the UK.  Just like when music lovers started to flock to check out Jimi Hendrix!!! It's so exciting!!! smile

bill darragh wrote:

You never can guess when musical interests are going to meet. One of the other bands we've been going to see for about 5 or 6 years now is The Machine. They play Pink Floyd music from all eras. The other day on their fantastic web site, someone mentioned Joe, and went on how great he is, and even mentioned Youtube to check him out. I jumped in there, and, among other things, mentioned his DVDs and live shows.
     So, I thought I could return the favor and tell you that these guys are a must see for anyone remotely interested in Pink Floyd. Yes you can check videos on their site, and on Youtube; but this band smokes live. For one thing, like Joe, they are affordable. Like the Allman Brothers, you can go to 10 shows in a row and not hear the same songs, in the same order. They also show their musical talent by throwing in the occassional off the wall jam of their own. We went on kind of a whim the first time, and have been going ever since.
     See them if you get the chance.

Bill

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Hi bill darragh... fancy meeting you here!

Angela... about that DVD... unfortunately they decided not to use that Keswick show after all... Joe says they didn't play very well that night, that they were probably trying too hard... I told him he's crazy, that was probably the best-sounding show I've been to... I mean my review included a mention of a full-body orgasm during Pigs-3 Different Ones, lol!  I'm sure I would have ended up on the DVD too, because I was sitting in the front row directly in front of Joe.  A friend of mine was recording from there too... he's been at this for almost 20 years and really knows what he's doing... that's the best Machine boot around, everyone loves it... I think you can find it on dimeadozen or etree.  Anyway, they do still plan to release a new DVD soon... last I knew they were thinking about maybe using something from their last European tour... on that tour they played WYWH and The Wall and actually built a wall behind them, which is something I never thought they'd do, but I've seen photos and it looked pretty cool, so maybe visually it would make a good DVD... but I wonder how the more reserved European audience would come across and how much that affected the energy of the show.  Oh, just a side note about their older Keswick DVD/CD... it's no longer for sale on their website, and what's left is being sold at shows, and they won't be making more... it's excellent (the CD took up permanant residence in my car for a long time), so if you don't have it yet, grab it if you get the chance!

By the way dragster, I just saw the Aussies for the first time last month in Hershey (I actually flyered there for The Machine's Thanksgiving eve show in Harrisburg, hehe)... yes they put on a cool stage show, and yes they were good musically... but I (and most other Machine fans) enjoy The Machine so much more, for so many reasons.  I don't have time to go into details now... I actually was planning to post a review of the show and make some comparisons, but I never got to it, and now for the past few weeks I've been having login problems... maybe I'll still get to it someday, and if so I'll copy it here.  If I'd never seen The Machine, I'd probably think they were awesome... but The Machine kinda ruins it for ALL the other Floyd tributes out there, even the Aussies!

--Vik

There is another connection (albeit a loose connection) between Joe and Pink Floyd. If you put an Alice in Wonderland DVD in, and start Joe's "So It's Like That" CD at the precise moment the MGM Lion finishes it's third and final roar....

Is the lion foaming at the mouth at that point? wink

Stu Craig wrote:

There is another connection (albeit a loose connection) between Joe and Pink Floyd. If you put an Alice in Wonderland DVD in, and start Joe's "So It's Like That" CD at the precise moment the MGM Lion finishes it's third and final roar....

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

come in here, dear boy- have a cigar...you're gonna go far!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

"....oh, by the way, which one's Pink"?   Actual meeting excerpt!
Yikes!

Rock On & Keep the Faith, Dear Boy (you'll need it),
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Monica? Is that you?

Jane H. wrote:
Stu Craig wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Monica? Is that you?

blasphemy!

OK - I'm lost....you'll have to fill me in on that one. wink

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
Jane H. wrote:
Stu Craig wrote:

Monica? Is that you?

blasphemy!

OK - I'm lost....you'll have to fill me in on that one. wink

"... a collect call for Mrs. Floyd from Mr. Floyd."... this is the United States calling!"  Ring a phone bell now?

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Was lucky enough to play with Pink Floyd bass player Guy Pratt earlier this week, cool bass player and lovely guy. http://youtu.be/aGe_emhkBg8

stefanhauk wrote:

Was lucky enough to play with Pink Floyd bass player Guy Pratt earlier this week, cool bass player and lovely guy. http://youtu.be/aGe_emhkBg8

Lucky you!!!

And great job with the band'
..so you play with the big names now wink

Women, whiskey and miles of travelin' is all I understand

14 (edited by bonawho59 2013-08-19 10:31:02)

stefanhauk wrote:

He's also married to Rick Wright's daughter; for all you PF trivia buffs.