Topic: Record label?

The hubby and I were enjoying Crosby Loggins CD yesterday (really good. I highly recommend it) and I got to wondering exactly what a record label does for an artist. Is it strictly marketing and promotion, packaging and distribution of the CD, or finding a producer and setting up the recording sessions? Or a combo of all of the above?

Can someone who knows the record biz (or Joe if you're so inclined) tell me what role J&R played in creating this wonderful CD? It seems to me that more artists are moving away from the traditional labels and even going with no label in this internet day and age. So I'm interested in understanding how that works.

I'm just saying.

Re: Record label?

Hey Nancy....

Read this article below, it gives a brief overview of a generic record label and how it works:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ … label1.htm

-Bill

3 (edited by Rocket 2007-11-27 14:02:24)

Nancy,

Joe has been the A & R (artists & repertoire) guy.  A & R guys (please no sexism charges, gals too) are the infamous yahoos of old who "rejected" everything put in front of them.  Some of them surely must've kicked themselves when that "ship coming in" sailed into port with another label and the booty became plenteous, especially for the label executives, stockholders, the A & R guy, everyone involved, down to and with an asterisked big *"Maybe"* for the artist(s), even though the plunder was by their sweaty brow.  Things for better (usually) or worse don't fit that description anywhere nearly in prevalence today.  J & R perfect examples, might've been called "shoestring" outfits in the past, but I call it extremely intelligent design for today's undefined paradigm of more independent record labels (streamlined if you will)...So, in this case, however it transpired, Joe obviously took a shine to Crosby, and the rest shall be history.  J & R can fill in the details if they choose, but I'm sure I'm in the ball park with the overview.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Bill,

Thanks for the great link.

Rocket,

Yeah, I assumed Joe was the one who "found" Crosby and decided to sign him. What I'm curious about is what else the J & R did/does for the CD, especially as opposed to what a more mainstream label might do. I just find it really interesting to see how accepted business practices are changing because artists are refusing to be funnelled into the mainstream pipeline and are developing new ways of marketing their art.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm just saying.

Well it's available everywhere online CD & download, if not in stores...They did that! SPeaking of Crosby in stores, anyone seen his album in stores???

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”