Topic: So I got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...

....for Christmas from my parents.  They bought it from Guitar Center and it's a floor model.  They said the guy at the store said I could bring it in after Christmas and get one in a box (there are minor damages to the floor model).

Now, to be honest, after playing with it a bit, I am really not very impressed with it.  I don't know if I am just being an idiot and not being able to dial in a very great tone or what, but I am thinking on seeing if they can't just credit me so I can put that money towards a different amp (I was thinking a Mesa Lonestar) but am still unsure.  It just seems to me that the Hot Rod isn't very diverse.  I mean, I can get a pretty good tone out of it, but that's just about it: A single good tone.  It kind of seems like a one trick pony to me.

What do you guys suggest?  Should I return it and save up for a more expensive amp (like the Lonestar), or should I just keep it and try to see if I can get this thing to sound better?  I play a lot of blues, obviously, but I also play some of the jazz and harder rock/psychedelic/prog stuff as well.  I hate pedals for the most part, so I am looking for an amp that has a really good clean tone, but can also handle the overdriven thing good as well.  I play a lot of SRV, Hendrix, ZZ Top, Cream, Alice in Chains, Freddie King, Johnny Winter, Tool, Pink Floyd, ect.  I play an Eric Johnson strat with GHS Rollerwound blues strings (11, 15, 19, 28, 38, 58) as well as an Epiphone Les Paul studio.

Basically I need a versatile amp and am looking for suggestions, or someone to tell me I'm an idiot and should keep the amp.

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

Re: So I got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...

Well you just got it today...give it some time and another opinion before taking it back...you can get more than one tone out of it.  I'd say be patient and experiment.  Otherwise take it back...Guitar Center gives you 30 days.  The sound you are trying to get is kinda all over the place too...there is a huge difference when you mention a bunch of great blues players and then throw in Tool and Alice in Chains...that is a night and day difference in tone, distortion, saturation, etc.  You might want to look at a Marshall JCM to get both the bluesy sound and hard rock tones of say AIC, etc.

Mantegna makes a good point. It seems that your emphasis is on blues and blues rock. The same goes for me, and my DeVille does that really well. Finding something to do great blues tone and progressive as well might be a stretch for any amp. I know you said you don't like pedals, but maybe you just haven't tried the right ones. Maybe you should zero in on the blues tone and then use a pedal or two for the other stuff. The OCDs are pretty tight or, and you may hate this, but the little Sans Amp units are cheap and can really get that thick, distorted tone when you need it.

Merry Christmas,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

4 (edited by MontiusWinston 2007-12-25 17:22:29)

mantegna wrote:

Well you just got it today...give it some time and another opinion before taking it back...you can get more than one tone out of it.  I'd say be patient and experiment.  Otherwise take it back...Guitar Center gives you 30 days.  The sound you are trying to get is kinda all over the place too...there is a huge difference when you mention a bunch of great blues players and then throw in Tool and Alice in Chains...that is a night and day difference in tone, distortion, saturation, etc.  You might want to look at a Marshall JCM to get both the bluesy sound and hard rock tones of say AIC, etc.

Yeah I know I'm all over the place when it comes to the sound.  I do play more blues than anything, so I am primarily looking for a great blues tone.  Anything else is just frosting on the cake, so to speak.

I've thought about a Marshall JCM, but I haven't seen one in the local Guitar Center to play one or anything.  Most of the Marshalls at the GC I am closest to are not very good, and unfortunately that has kind of put me off from purchasing one from there (though if they had a Jubilee or an older all tube Marshall I would probably change my mind pretty quick).

If I had around $4500-5000 I'd probably just get a Diezel, as those are some of the most versatile amps I've ever heard.  They are just too expensive, though.

larryt wrote:

Mantegna makes a good point. It seems that your emphasis is on blues and blues rock. The same goes for me, and my DeVille does that really well. Finding something to do great blues tone and progressive as well might be a stretch for any amp. I know you said you don't like pedals, but maybe you just haven't tried the right ones. Maybe you should zero in on the blues tone and then use a pedal or two for the other stuff. The OCDs are pretty tight or, and you may hate this, but the little Sans Amp units are cheap and can really get that thick, distorted tone when you need it.

Merry Christmas,
Larry

I was looking at the DeVille as well.  I don't know how similar it is to the HRD.  Like I said before, I could trade it in and just save a bit and get a Mesa Lonestar, which I am pretty pleased with from what I have played and heard of them.  Just seeing what fellow tone players on here recommend.

As for pedals, I am just more of a plug and play kind of guy.  I really haven't been to pleased with distortion pedals in particular, as I haven't heard one that even comes close to capturing a good overdriven tube amplifier.  I probably should have rephrased it and said I am not a big fan of distortion pedals, not all pedals.

I just posted something this week about a Sansamp distortion pedal that I use.  I have the Sansamp GT2 pedal and it does great in a situation as you are describing where you need a heavier distortion although you are playing through a primarily bluesy amp.  I originally got the pedal because Mike McCready from Pearl Jam used to have a sansamp in the TEN era when they recorded their debut...I loved their early distortion.  If you need that extra kick to bang out tool and AIC tunes, then a sansamp is a decent choice.  Then stomp off of it to get back to the blues.  Very simple pedal, has mesa/marshall/and tweed settings...can get a good one off ebay.  Otherwise get out there and play about 4 or 5 amps before settling on what works for you.  Talk to the people in Guitar Center and ask them to get some JCMs on the floor to try out...or whatever other amp you are interested in.  If you show interest and ask...they should get whatever you want out soon to experiment with.  I have had good and bad experiences at Guitar Centers around the country but find that if you show interest in putting out some money, they'll be on you like a used car salesman...THEY WANT to sell you an amp and most times are willing to help you out. 

Mike Mantegna

JB...what do you suggest?!?  He wants a good blues amp with capabilities of pulling off AIC, etc. ..without having to rely on distortion pedals.

Sounds like a JCM 800 would do the trick if I had to choose.  They make heads and combos depending on your needs.  I'd say get a JCM 800 and a Fender Bassman and get a pan pedal so it allows you to alternate between the clean Fender and the dirty Marshall sound, or run them both in stereo...It allows you to achieve an endless array of sounds. You have it all-the-way Twin, all-the-way Marshall, or halfway between, with both amps running at half juice, which gives you that Rolling Stones tone.

never put 5000 out on an amp (well just my opinion!)
...it'd be crazy to play that at home...and if you are playing out and touring or whatever...I don't know about you, but I'd be afraid to use it/lose it.

Check out the sansamp GT2 that I have...here are some sound samples:

first one is the pedal in the British distortion ala Marshall JCM tone...does a good blues rock thing:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/gt2_sounds/Gt2brit.mp3

Here is the pedals in the tweed mode...sounds really bluesy to me: 
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/gt2_sounds/gt2tweed.mp3

heavier Mesa-like/California distortion:

not bad for one pedal and it won't blow your wallet either.

mantegna wrote:

I just posted something this week about a Sansamp distortion pedal that I use.  I have the Sansamp GT2 pedal and it does great in a situation as you are describing where you need a heavier distortion although you are playing through a primarily bluesy amp.  I originally got the pedal because Mike McCready from Pearl Jam used to have a sansamp in the TEN era when they recorded their debut...I loved their early distortion.  If you need that extra kick to bang out tool and AIC tunes, then a sansamp is a decent choice.  Then stomp off of it to get back to the blues.  Very simple pedal, has mesa/marshall/and tweed settings...can get a good one off ebay.  Otherwise get out there and play about 4 or 5 amps before settling on what works for you.  Talk to the people in Guitar Center and ask them to get some JCMs on the floor to try out...or whatever other amp you are interested in.  If you show interest and ask...they should get whatever you want out soon to experiment with.  I have had good and bad experiences at Guitar Centers around the country but find that if you show interest in putting out some money, they'll be on you like a used car salesman...THEY WANT to sell you an amp and most times are willing to help you out. 

Mike Mantegna

Sounds like I'm gonna have to give one of these things a try.  I'm a big Pearl Jam fan (particularly Ten).

It is unfortunate, my local Guitar Center seems to employ idiots....Needless to say, I am less than impressed with my past dealings with them.

mantegna wrote:

never put 5000 out on an amp (well just my opinion!)
...it'd be crazy to play that at home...and if you are playing out and touring or whatever...I don't know about you, but I'd be afraid to use it/lose it.

Yeah, I didn't plan on that.  Way too pricey for an amp, no matter how good the thing is.  Maybe if I win the lottery someday....

mantegna wrote:

Check out the sansamp GT2 that I have...here are some sound samples:

first one is the pedal in the British distortion ala Marshall JCM tone...does a good blues rock thing:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/gt2_sounds/Gt2brit.mp3

Here is the pedals in the tweed mode...sounds really bluesy to me: 

heavier Mesa-like/California distortion:

not bad for one pedal and it won't blow your wallet either.

Pretty sweet sounding.  Like I said, I'll have to check one of them out.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

PS-  I've been playing with the Hot Rod some more and I must admit it is growing on me a bit.  I especially like it's tone when I play slide through it.  Perhaps keeping this amp will force me to play more slide guitar (something I'd love to be better at).

That's awesome man...I am a complete dud when it comes to slide...something I should really work on as well.  Let us know how things with the amp goes...good luck! Right now I'm drooling over my new Bonamassa tab book wink 

oh, p.s.   In addition to Joe, I'm a Pearl Jam junkie...just a great band that I grew up listening to.

I own a JCM900 100W head. i really love the thing.  if you give me your email i can send you some clips, its really a great sounding amp.  I would more than reccomend it.  they dont make them anymore so youd have to find a used one.  hope this helps.
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

mantegna wrote:

That's awesome man...I am a complete dud when it comes to slide...something I should really work on as well.  Let us know how things with the amp goes...good luck! Right now I'm drooling over my new Bonamassa tab book wink 

oh, p.s.   In addition to Joe, I'm a Pearl Jam junkie...just a great band that I grew up listening to.

I'm planning on getting the Bonamassa book soon.  Too bad most of it is way outside my playing abilities right now. tongue

And the slide thing is something I've been itching to explore in depth for some time now.  I just listened to some Derek Trucks today and that really got me wanting to slip and slide all over the fretboard.

Pearl Jam is also a band I grew up on.  I'm a sucker for that early 90's Seattle sound kinda thing.  A lot of rock music just went kinda downhill after that, imo, and so I kinda tuned out of the radio rock thing.  But boy do I still love those early 90's groups like Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, ect.

cj19m wrote:

I own a JCM900 100W head. i really love the thing.  if you give me your email i can send you some clips, its really a great sounding amp.  I would more than reccomend it.  they dont make them anymore so youd have to find a used one.  hope this helps.
Conner

Sure.  It's ninjabushi4@hotmail.com.

Thanks, and I look forward to listening.  I've heard the JCM Marshalls tend to be the way to go for a lot of things.

Hey man - I have a hot rod deluxe and a mesa lonestar 100/50 watt head into a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab.  I played the Deluxe for a while and it was alright,  but the Mesa is just plain sick. The clean is great on it and the crunch is fantastic.  It's super verstile - it can do that nice clean blues tone, the plexi sound (what I use), to all the way  to the over the top mesa crunch.  It's a little tricky to dial in a tone because each knob does something and effects the other knobs (which is good b/c you can really pin point what you are looking for) but once you get it your never happier lol.  Plus with the output feature you can crank the **** out of the amp, but keep it at low volumes for that classic tube overdrive.  Just my thoughts on those 2 amps.

PS - I also have a marshall jtm 30 which is a cool little marshall, but not very loud.

Peace
Ben

Im actually a fan of the fender "hot rod" series.  Way better than the standard early 90's blues deluxes of deviles.  Shows u how outta touch fender is that they reissued basically one of the worst amps they ever made.. Anyway.. Im not a fan of those guys honestly.. As you can probably can tell.  The hot rod series is good and I find to be very versitile. Its a good amp to set one tone and use your guitars volume control for the gain.  Also the reverb is good. Also kudos to your parents for such a nice Christmas gift.. My suggestion is take it back get a new one.  Not one that has been beaten over and over by everybody.  That'll probably do the trick.  The Mesa lonestar is a good amp. I used  straight in on the Mark and Bryan Show in LA about 5 months ago and really liked it.  Good reverb and gain and very loud.  The rental  had some reliability issues.  I saw many service tags ect.  Plus it had a bit of a squeal and basicially just made it through 5 songs.  Anyway rental stuff is a different story.  It never works right..
Good Luck
Joe Bonamassa

Joe, you're not a fan of Fender? Why?  I love their guitars, well esp. old ones...
I'm not much for anything new of theirs really...but what don't you like???

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

Hey man - I have a hot rod deluxe and a mesa lonestar 100/50 watt head into a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab.  I played the Deluxe for a while and it was alright,  but the Mesa is just plain sick. The clean is great on it and the crunch is fantastic.  It's super verstile - it can do that nice clean blues tone, the plexi sound (what I use), to all the way  to the over the top mesa crunch.  It's a little tricky to dial in a tone because each knob does something and effects the other knobs (which is good b/c you can really pin point what you are looking for) but once you get it your never happier lol.  Plus with the output feature you can crank the **** out of the amp, but keep it at low volumes for that classic tube overdrive.  Just my thoughts on those 2 amps.

PS - I also have a marshall jtm 30 which is a cool little marshall, but not very loud.

Peace
Ben

Yeah, I have really been looking at the Lonestar.  The price is the only thing that would make me stay with the Hot Rod, tbh.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Im actually a fan of the fender "hot rod" series.  Way better than the standard early 90's blues deluxes of deviles.  Shows u how outta touch fender is that they reissued basically one of the worst amps they ever made.. Anyway.. Im not a fan of those guys honestly.. As you can probably can tell.  The hot rod series is good and I find to be very versitile. Its a good amp to set one tone and use your guitars volume control for the gain.  Also the reverb is good. Also kudos to your parents for such a nice Christmas gift.. My suggestion is take it back get a new one.  Not one that has been beaten over and over by everybody.  That'll probably do the trick.  The Mesa lonestar is a good amp. I used  straight in on the Mark and Bryan Show in LA about 5 months ago and really liked it.  Good reverb and gain and very loud.  The rental  had some reliability issues.  I saw many service tags ect.  Plus it had a bit of a squeal and basicially just made it through 5 songs.  Anyway rental stuff is a different story.  It never works right..
Good Luck
Joe Bonamassa

Yeah, the more I've been playing it the more I have been liking it.  I will definitely exchange it for a new one, or I might bite the bullet and save up some more money for a Lonestar.  Still haven't decided for sure.  I am really liking the slide tones I can get out of the HRD.

I was really happy about my parents getting this amp, as they are by no means amp experts, so I was pleasantly suprised when they got something as good as they did.  So yes indeed kudos to them, as we don't really have that much money, so they saved up to get me my first tube amp.  It usually takes me a very long time to save up for the gear that I want. tongue

I've always liked some Fender guitars (like my EJ Strat), but have had mixed feelings about their amps.  They have a few models that I think are really really cool, but then they have some models that are not so cool.  But then again, I could say the same thing for Marshall....

Also, thanks for the advice Joe.  Definitely something worth keeping in mind.

To the guy looking for a different amp. 

I suggest to just about every one to try out Fulltone.  I never owned one until very reciently.  I was a tubescreamer guy.
I bought an OCD and then a fulldrive 2.  I play thru fenders and vox they sound amazing with these pedals. I have played fender hot series amps and I generally avoid them.  I plugged my pedal board into one reciently and was amazed at the sound. 

So long as the amp is tube and has a decient clean channel I am pretty sure you will get good results with these.

A friend just bought the mesa express 50x5 i think.  He loves it.  Maybe you should try that.

Anyhow, good luck.