Topic: Help with a Telecaster

Has anyone here had a problem with strap locks causing a rattle that goes through the pickups and to the amp with a Telecaster?  I have tried various things like rubber washers on the strap buttons but I cant seem to remove the rattle.  Does anyone know if there is a fix to the problem or if its just the nature of a Telecaster?

thanks, kyle

Re: Help with a Telecaster

I've never heard of that, however. Am I an expert "no" Do I have strap locks on my Telecaster "yes" It sounds more like a loose pick-up or wire. I would try to isolate the problem. For future reference this is a great Tele website www.tdpri.com Cheers, Rick

I have straplocks on my strat strap ( I believe they're Schallers...sorta U-shaped and slide onto the pin) and they definitely squeak and make noise as compared to the Jim Dunlop push-button  round straplocks on my Tele strap. 

You might look into the Dunlops

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

Is the bridge pickup mounted on a Tele bridge plate?

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Guitgator wrote:

I have straplocks on my strat strap ( I believe they're Schallers...sorta U-shaped and slide onto the pin) and they definitely squeak and make noise as compared to the Jim Dunlop push-button  round straplocks on my Tele strap. 

You might look into the Dunlops

I have schallers on all mine and simply LOVE them!

-I glued in a wooden dowel and redrilled by knob holes on some of my older gibsons to keep the knobs tight....

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

The guitar sounds like its microphonic.. Strap locks will not come through the pickups on its own..  Try taking some standard issue foam and sticking it in the pickup cavity.. If its a older one try using super glue to secure the brass plate on the bottom of the lead pickup.  That would be my suggestion
Joe Bonamassa

Yep, that's why I asked if the pickup is mounted on a standard Tele bridge plate. I've heard quite a few microphonic plates over the years but they've always been fixed one way or another.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

The guitar sounds like its microphonic.. Strap locks will not come through the pickups on its own..  Try taking some standard issue foam and sticking it in the pickup cavity.. If its a older one try using super glue to secure the brass plate on the bottom of the lead pickup.  That would be my suggestion
Joe Bonamassa

I am on StewMac's mailing list. Here is the latest - pertains to buzzing pickups.
Shows Santana's strat as an example..

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0 … clk=191882

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

The pickup is mounted on an American Telecaster Bridge plate.  Its not original to the guitar, as it is a Highway 1 which comes with the older bridge piece.  I have had the same problem with both bridge plates.

Kyle, as Joe said, try putting foam under the plate to fill the cavity. It should stop the microphonics.

gsj wrote:

Kyle, as Joe said, try putting foam under the plate to fill the cavity. It should stop the microphonics.

Yep got on that right away.  That sucker is foamed up.

Has it worked? Hope so wink