Topic: Les Paul experts? Need recommendations on bright pups as well as hot..

Without having to rifle through hundreds of dollars of pups to find the right ones, I am soliciting the forum for some suggestions.

I have an '83 Les Paul Studio that has a great, deep, sunburst finish, plays nice, sounds real good acoustically (not plugged in) but the pickups or overall tone is way too dark and weak by LP standards.

Any suggestions? Again, I'm after a brighter than darker tone outta this.
Some suggestions I have had included tone capacitors value being changed and trying different trimpots but thats only 1/2 the equation.

Any recommendations would be appreciated...Joe??? PAFs???

Thanks in advance...F1

CURRENTLY: CAT5 JB PLEXI 50W, CAT5 1900 50W, Split 4x12 cab.
Fender Strat, Tele. Gibson LP including ole #174 JB Goldtop...

In heaven right now with the CAT5 rig!!!

Re: Les Paul experts? Need recommendations on bright pups as well as hot..

I by no means am an expert but I have a 2007 58 reissue and it has burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups in it. I think they are excellent. Some may say they are bassy but not only are les pauls generally bassy but humbuckers are too.
I play it thru a fender twin and a vox AC30 and I get very thick lead tones, but I am able to clear it up and play some great clean chord too. Alot has to do with your amp too.

Another great pickup I've been told is the Seymore Duncan Antiquities.  But having not heard them I cant speak first hand on those.

Pearly Gates by Seymour Duncan are pretty good.  The KEY is that it does resonate well acoustic (not plugged in) you should be able to get whatever kind of tone you want out of them.

You can also get a pickup that "coil taps" to a single coil if you want brighter options. It can be setup as a push/pull pot a la Jimmy Page...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I had good luck both darkening and brightening the Gibson '57 Classic PUPS on my 2001 R8 just by changing the pickup height (the entire PUP - not the pole pieces).  I find the Gibson Burstbucker PUPS I have played sounded a bit brighter (but harsher) than '57 Classics to my ears.  Many people like them.
Different caps will do it too (I'm no expert on the values needed).  One other thing I had done was to have  treble bleed caps added to the volume pots which keeps the tone from darkening/getting muddy when I roll back the volume pot.

Russ B.

Look into Seymour Duncans. You could use a JB for the bridge. It gives that late 50's sound. Match it with a '59 for the neck and you won't go wrong. Or the Seth Lover is a close to an original PAF humbucker you can find. In my opinion.

Just my suggestion.......

Spider

ANY of the RIO GRANDE range of pups, they are superb, I have them on all 3 of my guitars, Texas bbq HB set, muy grande tele, muy grande strat.

Jon

Crazy old Scottish person, still playing, still learning.

7 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-02-04 12:23:40)

I can vouch hers on the RioGrande pickups for single coils.

I was looking at Seth Lovers too...

I'm a sucker for gold covered pickups...

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Just a warning....I put a 57 classic plus in the bridge position of a newer gibson V and it sounded like total poop! No bark, no bite, just pfffft.

topshelf wrote:

Just a warning....I put a 57 classic plus in the bridge position of a newer gibson V and it sounded like total poop! No bark, no bite, just pfffft.

topper, how does it sound when not plugged in?
its always easier to make a guitar sound brighter with pickups...the 57's are a little darker from what I've heard. If you're trying to brighten it up a P-94 or BurstBucker would do the trick (staying with Gibson brand)

10 (edited by Lansing 2008-02-20 16:19:11)

Fandango1 wrote:

Any suggestions? Again, I'm after a brighter than darker tone outta this.
Some suggestions I have had included tone capacitors value being changed and trying different trimpots but thats only 1/2 the equation.

I know this is going to sound completely stupid, because I didn’t believe it until I tried it myself. The easiest thing to do is go to a craft store and get a roll of ZIP-GRIP Flexible Magnets. This is a vinyl magnet that comes on a roll, almost like tape. The magnet is about .5” in width and .125” thick. The roll has an adhesive backing so that you can cut, peal and stick it to a surface. I cut two strips of the Zip-Grip magnet and stick them side-by-side to back of my pickups. The added magnetic strip brightens the sound up and makes them sound less flat. I have had great success with this silly sounding mod. Because the magnet is so thin, it is easy to stack a couple layers to adjust tone. It sure is easier than changing out caps. I later read in a Luther magazine that Rickenbacker had instructed its repair techs to use this method to adjust the tone of their customer’s guitars.

Note: For strip that is 0.060" thick and 2" in length, the pull of the strip is about 12 ounces per square inch.

http://www.allmagnetics.com/flexible/flexiblestrip.htm

What ever pickup you decide to go with, try and take off the covers if they come with them on. This will give you a brighter sound on any pickup.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

I'd recommend you to check out the sheptone PAF tribute pickups and forget the duncans etc. You won't be disappointed. Also, there's a spring sale going on right now so you'd get a set of great sounding PAF style pickups for a very reasonable price. Check them out: http://sheptone.com/ I've been more than satisfied with these pups!

sorry everybody - I just found out about a guy who does hand winding in Detroit.

www.motorcitypickups.com

his PASSIVE pickups can be 17k or he has one that's even 23k!!!!! Is that possible!? DANG!
I think they're $130 each or a set for $230. he also does a 10 day guarantee where if you dont like em you can switch em for a different set. VERY COOL.

The bigger is the DC resistance, the darker is the sound, so I'd stay away from too hot pups when looking for a brighter sound. And making a pickup that hot is easy, just use enough the coil wire. Quoting Jeff from sheptone "Don't let those resistances fool you... anyone can wind the crap out of a pickup, but that won't make it sound better."

I see you have a bunch of gear there. What type of humbuckers are you currently running that you like the way they sound,thats usually the best place to start. For the record I agree with JGALVIN8804. Burstbucker1s+2s. I see you got a couple of amps there, have you tried all amps with this axe, and fully explored all tonal and saturation variations available to you?
It can definatley take a while.
Good Luck
Fuzzy

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

I'm surprised with all the players on here, no one has mentioned Bare Knuckle Pickups.  Put it this way, If I had to trust my life to a pickup, it would be Bare Knuckle's THE MULE. 
I've got a set of BK's in my Gibby SG and they just bleed tone.  They are all hand made so they do cost a bit more but if your serious about your rig, then it's beyond worth it. 

The Mule Harmony Central Reviews

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Beerdog80 wrote:

I'm surprised with all the players on here, no one has mentioned Bare Knuckle Pickups.  Put it this way, If I had to trust my life to a pickup, it would be Bare Knuckle's THE MULE. 
I've got a set of BK's in my Gibby SG and they just bleed tone.  They are all hand made so they do cost a bit more but if your serious about your rig, then it's beyond worth it. 

The Mule Harmony Central Reviews

I heard of them, but when I read some harmony central reviews, I read they were 'one-trick donkeys.' I'm happy to hear that's incorrect.

Hey Dudes and Dudettes,
               First of all I would probably stop short of putting $9000 worth of pickups in a $1000 guitar for starters..I didnt purchase the ones in my 59 historic they were a gift from the seller and a very good friend of mine back in Utica NY.  There are some great options.. I have had great luck with the Burstbucker 2 in front and the 3 in back... Jim wagoner builds some very nice stuff at WCR pickups.. He can/will custom wind something a bit brighter if thats your thing.. He is a really nice guy and so into it..   I personally like a a darker sounding guitar due to the fact that its way easier to add high end than it is to take it away in my experience.. Standard issue Seymor Duncan antiquities are also good.  I have all these combinations in various guitars that I own,  The Joe Bonamassa Les Paul(sorry I just like saying that , give me a week to get over myself) Has the Burstbucker 2/3 combo and its plenty bright but does what a Les Paul should.  That woody human voice tone..  Again good luck.. I hope this helps
Joe Bonamassa