Topic: Output Tubes in Joe's amps

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if Joe's Jubilees (and other heads) are sporting mostly EL-34's or 6l6's?  Tube substitution can be fun.

corey

Re: Output Tubes in Joe's amps

I'm pretty sure the Jubilees are EL-34's doesnt' sound like 6l6's to me... either the Van Weelden/ Carol Ann or the Two Rock I think might have 6l6's- not 100% sure on that though- I think Joe'd have to answer that one

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Tube substitutions can be cool but dangerous if the amp is not biased or self biasing.  EL-34s are clearer in some respects and louder than say 5881's. The original Marshall  JTM-45s were 5881 and basically British military spec 1958 -1959 Fender Bassman  circuts.   So each amp will react differently to swapping tubes but honestly I have found that it doesnt radically change much.. If your looking to make your Marshall sound like a Fender or Vox its really not going to happen by just swapping tubes.  But you might like the results nontheless..
Joe Bonamassa

Oh.. I forgot....
The Jubilees , Carol Ann and Category 5 are  EL -34 (JJ brand)
Two Rock, Van Weelden Fuchs are 6L6 or 5881 (TAD)

Very Cool!  Sometimes you can waste time barking up the wrong tree.  Very true about the biasing too.  I've been curious because your (Joe) tone is awesome.  I dig Eric Johnson's recent rhythm marshall sound too.  Thanks so much for the info!

Corey  p.s. I'm enjoying a pair KT-88s in my '71 50 watt marshall at the moment.  its a big sound compared to the 34's, much louder though.  its worth trying, but be sure to have a tech bias it properly!

fast442 wrote:

Very Cool!  Sometimes you can waste time barking up the wrong tree.  Very true about the biasing too.  I've been curious because your (Joe) tone is awesome.  I dig Eric Johnson's recent rhythm marshall sound too.  Thanks so much for the info!

Corey  p.s. I'm enjoying a pair KT-88s in my '71 50 watt marshall at the moment.  its a big sound compared to the 34's, much louder though.  its worth trying, but be sure to have a tech bias it properly!

KT88's...are wow! My old Carlsbro 50top combo, is getting properly set-up to use them, the amp sounds wonderfull, huge and 'glassy', they just sing and are pretty good at modest volumes to.

Jon

Crazy old Scottish person, still playing, still learning.

Biasing is extremely important in any amplifier but doubly for tubes...But even techs make mistakes! The mistakes have some good times too, but not worth losing great amounts of time and/or money over.  Or, "Yeah the house (or just amp circuitry) burning down wasn't cool, but did you HEAR how great that sounded for 4 minutes"???!!!  vs. "(insert massive quantities of cuss words here)"!!! Circuit simulation is priceless. 
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

fast442 wrote:

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

8 (edited by topshelf 2008-01-25 20:14:53)

fast442 wrote:

Just put the KT-77's in my dsl-50 and depending on the bias they can make it loud or meaty......a nice change. Changing tubes is fun!