Topic: Joe's multi-amp set-up & Ceriatone amps?

Guys-

I'm trying for a multi- amp set-up a bit like Joe's. I'm already lucky enough to own a KT66 modded re-issue Marshall Bluesbreaker & an original 1969 100w plexi (for MUCH bigger gigs) but want to add another more 'cleaner' amp head to add a bit more definition to clean tones - I've been checking out hand-wired Ceriatone amps- does anyone else own or has tried the Overtone model?  I think it's similar to a Fuchs/Two Rock but much more within my budget!  I'm about to take the plunge but would really appreciate any advice from you guys...

Cheers! Mitch.

This don't look like no express way to me...

Re: Joe's multi-amp set-up & Ceriatone amps?

Its funny you mention those Ceriatone amps cos I just heard about them for the first time today. I work in a guitar shop here in Australia and a customer came in raving about those amps, he has heard and seen them and says they are great, hes ordering a JTM45 clone i think. I cant say how good they would be without trying one out but the dumble style one does seem interesting.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Dumbles are nothing but very refined and ingeniously designed Fender based amps...  A cheaper amp that would work would be a Silverface Dual Showman Reverb( Many original Dumbles started with that showman circuit and transformers. Especially the Transformers.   If you get the 1968-69 ones with the Silver Trim they are identical give or take to 1965 Twins.Great with 15s JBL D-30s or A pair of EV 12Ls   For a low power option.. A Fender Vibrolux with a EV 12L will get you in the Ball park of a 50W ODSpecial.  Deluxe would work but would sound closer to a Vox honestly.. Vox AC-30 would be a cool combo with your Marshalls  too.. Wouldnt it be great to win the Lottery..!!!
Joe Bonamassa

Joe-

Many, many thanks for your advice- you are such a true gentleman! I shall now look around for some silver face amps here in the UK they're still (comparatively) cheap - I know they're fairly easy to modify back to Blackface specs & I guess the Dumble thing is mostly about the FET pre-amp anyway... A Vox is an option I hadn't thought of... especially as there's a new hand wired re-issue available that's getting rave reviews here...Hmmm!  But yes a lottery win would be particularly  useful- especially if your suffering from incurable Guitar related spending like me & countless others- I'm nearly 50 now and it's getting way worse not better!

So looking forward to the Frome UK gig Joe!

Big thanks again... Mitch

A thing that I have noticed about the FET Preamp in my experience with the real dumble I in the 4 amp set up along time ago and some the Dumble style amps I own is that the FET makes it run out of phase with the Jubilee.. Now the Jubilee is a strange bird most of the time requiring to be grounded differently.. I call it playing nice with the others.. For my money if your going to take the plunge and get the only amp that sounds closest and looks the closet is Peter's amp..The Twinkleland.  Im sure the other amp guys would agree that their amps are in the Style of Dumble and a bit different in a few ways.. Peter Van Weelden has actually made one and truthfully its all in the Twinlkelator for me.  The buffered tube effects loop that controls the amount of send and return the amp is seeing.  Jus creating a interesting compression that brings it imediately to Robben Ford and Larry Carlton mode.  Anyway good luck and if theres one amp that made us better they would have bottled it and sold it to us buy now..  After the live record Im in the back to basics mode.  4 different amps and I sound like me ... no better or worse.  Marshall, Dumble, Fender ect..  Im going back to playing with a mono sound/less amps where the bigness comes from my playing and volume.  Its in the hands.. Jeff Beck is the pinnacle of that statement. 
Joe Bonamassa

Joe-

Big thanks! I'm speechless- I never expected you'd reply personally, what a guy!  Thanks so much for the in depth thoughts regarding Dumble clones- you've really got me thinking now- and interesting to see how you still continually experiment with your tones, I'm really looking forward to maybe seeing & hearing your stripped down mono set-up when you tour the UK next month. 

On the amp 'phasing' front I often find that Marshall and Fender amps generally operate out of phase with each other - I guess it must be to do with the slight changes in the circuit that Ken Bran made all those years ago when he copied the Bassman circuit? 

I play in a little 'power trio' blues/rock band & although we generally play smallish venues & the Bluesbreaker is astonishingly loud for a 30w amp; sometimes I need more 'spread' than actual volume to fill up the space, and (I have to say) absolutely love the tones you get- and this got me thinking along the lines of a Dumble clone of some description to add to the Marshall 'crunch'.

Anyway- I wholeheartedly agree with the Jeff Beck statement Joe - Amen to that!

Thanks again... Mitch

Joe, Mitch and all:

There's a new 12 step program...Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

My name is Jeff and I have GAS.

Just playing. lol

Much Love with Musicians Friend on speed dial,
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

4 different amps and I sound like me ... no better or worse.  Marshall, Dumble, Fender ect..  Its in the hands.. Jeff Beck is the pinnacle of that statement. 
Joe Bonamassa

Bravo Joe!!!
Great to hear a player of your caliber say this.  So many guys I encounter are hung up on price = good tone and start to forget where it all comes from.  Bottom line you have to be able to play whatever is put in front of you.  Can you go to a jam night with a 50 dollar Squire plugging into a Peavey Bandit and still seperate yourself from every other guitar slinger that hit the stage that night?  Joe could, BB could, Stevie could.  Don't get me wrong, I have Gear Acquisition Syndrome just as bad as every other gear nut and I love it.  I have always believed though that it truly comes from the hands and heart.
Joe, thanks for what you are doing for the blues and guitar playing in general bro.  You truly are an inspiration.
Mike

SO RIGHT!  Forgive a bass player butting in on this thread.  I only own 2 guitars. (yes I play them, jeesh) but I must own 6 basses.  The one I take to the jams is not the fender or the dean or the washburn.  It's the rogue.  Keeps the "Can I play your 35 year old Jazz?" requests down for some reason.

It's in the hands, mind, heart and soul.

I'm done
Jeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms