1 (edited by Logo33 2008-01-31 00:05:43)

Topic: Speakers

Does joe use the 200w EVM12L Classic or the 300w EVM12L Black Labels? And what are the pros and cons of having more or less wattage?

thanks

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Speakers

Hey guys,
Dont think I have ever heard Joe comment on which EV's he uses but I would probably guess the classics.  I have read the reviews on the Black Label EV's and they sound to be very nice.  As far as the power rating goes it might affect the sound slightly but probably not adversly, just designed different you know.  With a power rating as high as the EV's I doubt you will have to ever worry about a typical guitar amp plugged in even to just one.  I urge you to try the EV's though as they are excellent speakers.
Mike

I hear that Eminence have a 'copy' of the EV speaker, can't remember what it is called, but reviews suggest that it is pretty close, and of course, a LOT cheaper.

Crazy old Scottish person, still playing, still learning.

awesome... thank you very much!

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Hey Guys,
Just a little addition onto my post before.  I was on another forum and they swore up an down that the EV Force speakers are awesome guitar speakers.  Now I have never tried these in a guitar amp but I plan too now seeing as how you can find them really well priced on ebay.  Just somthing to consider.  They also spoke of the classic EV SRO's favorably.  I believe the Eminence speaker jockman was talking about might be the Red White and Blues or the Commonwealth.  I know the Commonwealth is modeled after the old JBLs with the silver dustcap, I believe the D130s maybe?  Anyway very good reviews on that one.  Good luck.
Mike

thanks all, i will definitely look into these other recommendations!

A little bump..

The Eminence "EV'" Jockman posted about is the Eminence Delta Pro 12. 300watts and almost the same characteristics as the classic EV 12L.

The EV force, wich i have in my MusicMan 112RD amp, is a nice speaker, but has more low-end that i find unusefull. The Force's range is around 70Hz-4.5kHz, the 12L around 80Hz-5kHz.

I really like the EV's, but they're so d*mn loud!! big_smile

I use the standard EV 200 watt 12L..  Its plenty to handle to the 100 heads.. I honestly havent tried the 300 watt ZW speaker...  I hear its great.. Zakk is a good guy and is a really great player..
Joe Bonamassa

9 (edited by misterlee 2008-02-21 09:37:27)

What if you use 50 watt heads? Would you still want to use the 200W EV, or would the amps not be enough to drive them effectively?

misterlee wrote:

What if you use 50 watt heads? Would you still want to use the 200W EV, or would the amps not be enough to drive them effectively?

That all depends on the ohm ratings... I think... The only thing you'd be losing would be the speaker breakup at high volumes...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

misterlee wrote:

Generally speaking you can use the EVs with a 50 watt amp, 100 watt amp or a 18 watt amp.  The 200 watts is just a power rating not really a suggestion.  A speaker will usually start to break up and add its own sound or distortion as its power rating is approached ala Celestion greenback or blue.  As the EVs are often used for clean clear reproduction of an amplifier no matter what the power rating, they can be used with any amp.  Also on the plus side is that the EVs are efficient speakers too, so you actually are louder with a low powered amp than with another lower efficiency speaker.
Mike

Thanks SRVTWO and kwsjb1238! I'm really leaning towards getting a 50w Category5 JB Signature head and would like to get a complimentary cabinet with the EV's, I just don't need a 100W head being as my other amp is a Mesa Single Rect-o-verb, I'm thinking it might be tough to balance both of them.

I also have a Marshall 2061X that sounds sweet and even at 20 watts is plenty loud. My goal is to do something similar to Joe's rig, with a primary amp always in and a couple others in/out as needed.

I have a 1x12 Marshall cab coming, with an EV12L speaker in it....:-)

It is one from the early '80's so I would think that it is an original and not a re-issue.
I will let you know my impressions when I get it and give it a going over, it is going to have to be good to beat the Eminence C-Rex that is in my combo, superb speaker.

jon

Crazy old Scottish person, still playing, still learning.