Topic: Joe's tone on the Mark and Brian show

How did everyone like Joe's stripped down sound on the Mark and Brian show? I thought the silver jubilee combo he used sounded amazing, especially the fact that Joe said he was plugged straight in (not even an OD pedal for the lead part?). I've always loved Joe's tone with his 4 amp setup, but I think he sounded just as good stripped down. I've always liked a nice raw guitar tone.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Joe leaning toward a simpler amp setup. If he can sound that good with just the combo, why not simplify things?

2 Questions for Joe:
Was there anything special about that amp (mods, tubes etc)?
What were your settings?

Re: Joe's tone on the Mark and Brian show

Hey man, 
             you know, this is the one time that I didnt like Joe's Tone.  Way too thin, i think im just used to gods tone when it comes to joe.  Playing was great as usual, and the band sounded tight!
Peace,
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

Just goes to show ya, one guy's "raw" and "stripped down" is another guys "too thin". I've seen Joe 5 times now, and I've always loved his live tone. But, it was cool to hear him without all the firepower, and still sound and play so well. Almost like he would sound if he came into your house, or a music store and plugged right in and started jamming.

Hi,

any links for show footage would love to see..

Cheers

Martin

Les Paul 95 Gibson standard, Marshall DSL 100, 4x12 straight faced B cab,Vox AC15TBXRI, Carl Martin Hot 'n' Drive boost, Deluxe Memoryman delay, Electric Mistress, Mango amps treble Booster(Dallas Rangemaster clone), Boss GE7

Fallon wrote:

Hi,

Cheers

Martin

I haven't seen any footage from it- it was a radio show I think... unless im completely off on that one... haha

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

6 (edited by ken 2008-02-11 15:34:05)

kwsjb1238 wrote:
Fallon wrote:

Hi,

Cheers

Martin

I haven't seen any footage from it- it was a radio show I think... unless im completely off on that one... haha

Click the JB-TV link from the top of the forum page, and play the Mark and Brian tab. It's a radio show, no video. 3 songs (Ball Peen Hammer, Bridge, Just got paid).

Hi,

thanks....sounded great thru my speakers here....great Marshall tone....very dry....

Cheers

Martin

Les Paul 95 Gibson standard, Marshall DSL 100, 4x12 straight faced B cab,Vox AC15TBXRI, Carl Martin Hot 'n' Drive boost, Deluxe Memoryman delay, Electric Mistress, Mango amps treble Booster(Dallas Rangemaster clone), Boss GE7

Hey all,
          Well the reason I only used the single amp which was a 1X12 Silver Jubilee Marshall was because the M&B studio for bands is not that big.  There would of been no way to bring two amps let alone the big 4 amp set up.  I thought the tone was fine maybe a bit bright for my taste.  Its the part of the game... Sometimes you can control the set up sometimes you have to improvise and just go for it.. It was just a straight cable and Les Paul...
Joe Bonamassa

9 (edited by Bill 2008-02-18 00:36:11)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey all,
          Well the reason I only used the single amp which was a 1X12 Silver Jubilee Marshall was because the M&B studio for bands is not that big.  There would of been no way to bring two amps let alone the big 4 amp set up.  I thought the tone was fine maybe a bit bright for my taste.  Its the part of the game... Sometimes you can control the set up sometimes you have to improvise and just go for it.. It was just a straight cable and Les Paul...
Joe Bonamassa

I give you a lot of credit Joe because no matter what situation you're put in, your sound always comes out stellar.

I thought it came out great. wink

-Bill