Topic: Hey Joe - I have a question for you

Hi Joe - I have a question for you.  I just purchased a Fuchs ODS 50w Head and have it sitting on top of my Mesa Lone Star 50/100 watt head and I'm playing out of a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30's.  They are running separately.  I love the sound of the Mesa with the Celestions (sort of Plexi-ish), and I love the sound of the Fuchs which I purchased because I like its warm smooth overdrive that is totally different from my Mesa, but my problem is that I don't like the crunchiness of Vintage 30's paired with the Fuchs.  I'm looking for a more bell like tone out of the speaker.  Now my question (finally lol) what speakers would you recommend.  I like 2x12 cabs and I know you like the EV's, but I just don't want to start buying up really expensive speakers to turn around and hate them.  I was thinking about putting a set of vintage JBL d120f's in a cab for the Fuchs.  If it matter's I play pretty much a slew of stock Gibson’s and my main axe is a Gibson LP Standard with Burst Bucker Pro's and I rarely use any pedals on my pedal board [old fashion plug in and play smile ].  What do you think?  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Please keep in mind that I'm 19 years old and make $350 a week and I do save up to buy the right gear, not garbage.  Thanks a lot in advance Joe.

Fellow Tone Freak,
Ben Forrester

PS - Next time you are playing on Long Island we're definitely jammin for sure.

Re: Hey Joe - I have a question for you

Definately the EV 12Ls will do what you want them to do.  The vintage 30's give you a 2 k high end with a fender style amp that is somewhat unpleasant..  You wont regret the EVs at all..

Joe Bonamassa

So there!

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Hey Joe - Thanks for the super fast reply.  I'm going to take your advice and go with the EV's.  I will let you know how it works out soon.

Fellow Tone Freak,
Ben Forrester

5 (edited by doc 2009-11-20 05:23:58)

i have the ods 100 with the fuchs 2x12 with the fats-1 eminences.  they are supposed to be ev-like.  it definately is tuned to the amp.  i also use an avatar 2x12 with an eminence legend gb12 & v12.  it's a 100 watt cab--works good.  i have played it thru a jbl 2x12--very rich.  i will use a lovepedal black kanji 9 on the clean channel just for fun--mixes it up.  a fulltone ocd works good too.  whatever andy did to my amp as he built it, it just cuts.  mine is a 2004 slx.  i can't say enough about it.  i'm working on some originals--hope to have the cd done by late winter cool cool cool

I bought the EV 's from US Speaker. http://www.usspeaker.com/evm12L%20classic-1.htm

Call if you want to get the 16 ohms.

Boogie Mark IV Celestion vs EVM12L (clean)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVBftexv … p;index=27

Boogie Mark IV Celestion vs EVM12L (lead channel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tpzGQ4lMk

WOW thats some serious archive material.  I believe this was my first post.  EV is the way to go.  Been using them since around this thread.  I don't care for the Eminence speakers - played them in a bunch of amps as demo's and made them switch cabs to a different speaker.  Old Greenbacks are cool.  I think I jammed on a set of Fane's and they were pretty cool as well.

Rock on!
Ben

8 (edited by doc 2009-11-20 05:21:36)

yeah--saw it was posted a while back.  the ev's are very good.  the eminences--especially the fuchs which are ev like--just have really good fullness--clean.  the avatar has worked very nice--just a different tonality.  as much of a tone nut that i am, i do listen to the other guys opinions.  a few have sold some guitars they now wish they had back.  we said they sounded nice--but they just had to try one more.  the guys that bought these guitars from them won't part with them.  live & learn.  you have anything on youtube--i'm hoping we can get some stuff out next spring cool

Yea I have 2 amp demo's on youtube.

Here's the first:

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9158

and here's is the most recent, like a month old, had to do it lol:

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11530

Ben

10 (edited by doc 2009-11-20 05:21:05)

damn impressive.  i have the ods 100 & a lonestar 100/50.  i'm too impatient to deal with more than 1 amp at a time.  my pedal board has enough toys.  i also have a divided by 13 ftr 37 that loves the pedals.  i use lovepedals for the marshall stuff, or just the click channel.  depends on my mood as to which amp i use--or venue.  you love gibson's too--go figure.  i have several from years back, but recently have found the epi elite/elitists to be very good.  they surprise people.  i'm hoping we can get some live stuff next spring/summer with the current lineup.  i'm more of a trower-hendrix-santana-skynyrd-zep kind of player--strange mix.  of course i dig joe's stuff-i listen more to the rhythyms for ideas.  his lead work does not need discussion.  his tone approach makes one think of how they hear their playing.  this makes life/work fun.  cool cool cool