Topic: Advice on a New Amp

Hi Guys,

Recently I've been thinking about buying a new amp  but i don't know too much and any advice would be much appreciated.

At the minute my set up is Guitar --> Boss GT8 --> Marshall MG100. The amp is basically a big 100watt verison of the 10watt solid state amp you get in one of those guitar starter kits. I'm thinking that I could benefit from a nice valve amp.  A nice big Marshall 50 watt half stack would be cool but i don't have the money or a good enough reason to justify buying one. I play mostly in my bedroom but i would like to start doing small gigs at some point (after I find a band sad). Due to these parameters I was thinking something along the lines of and Orange Tiny Terror 7/15 watt head with a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.

Tone (how could i forget?) i would be aiming for a nice enough clean but I'd be playing mostly in the Blues/ Blues Rock category or Zeppelin, AC/DC, throw in a bit of SRV and Bonamassa of course smile

What do you guys think? Or have any of you had any experience with the Tiny Terror? I've only read good reviews on it so far. What main differences would there be between the 1x12 and 2x12 cabs?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Advice on a New Amp

Orange is decent. Just play through whatever you get first.

What's your budget? sky is the limit!

I found Solice in a Rivera R55-12. I've been happy with other amps though. I think you'd be happy with a tube amp.

1x12 has only one speaker
and 2x12 have two 12" speakers...  so a 4x12 cabinet would have four.  I that what you were asking.
I find the more speakers, a smoother and better distributed sound is dispersed....

good luck

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Yep, what's your budget Matt? Then maybe we can advise you beyond your wildest dreams smile

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Check out youtube for some sound clips. I've seen some tiny terror clips out there as well as just about any other amp you can think of. Just do a search, if you want to hear what they sound like, and can't hear one locally.

It's all about your budget, I always buy off of ebay once I realize what I want. A lot cheaper than new, and usually in perfect shape.

Thanks for using your local store big_smile

ken wrote:

Check out youtube for some sound clips. I've seen some tiny terror clips out there as well as just about any other amp you can think of. Just do a search, if you want to hear what they sound like, and can't hear one locally.

It's all about your budget, I always buy off of ebay once I realize what I want. A lot cheaper than new, and usually in perfect shape.

Thanks for the replies guys.

NPB - Yeah thats what i was thinking the numbers meant, thanks for clearing that up. Would it be better to have a 2x12 as far as tone goes though? or can you still get a good tone from a 1x12? Im justhing thinking because if its only a 15watt head and each speacker in the orange cabs can take 60 watts each. Would a 2x12 be too much for the amp to drive?

I think a budget of around £500 would sound about right. I wouldn't really want to spend any more than that, especially if I'm not gigging yet. Again I'l be playing mostly in my bedroom but I'd like somehtign that could have the capacity to do small gigs if possible.

Also would you think it would be worthwhile to upgrade, would i notice much difference betwqeen the transistor and a valve amp? And I suppose how loud would a 15 watt all valve head be?

Ken - Thanks for the advice, i think by now i've listened to all the Tiny Terror clips on youtube big_smile especailly since the only orange dealer in Northern Ireland has apparently stopped selling them sad. I'm just wondering how accurate the recordings would be.

Thanks again, (sorry for all the questions),
Matt

7 (edited by bigjeffjones 2008-02-26 13:00:17)

This is my next purchase for garage amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Va … 1275082.gc

lookitover
Jeff

EDITED TO ADD:  or here... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=481475

Of course buy locally!!! if possible.  This is just to read on.  I fixed the links.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Oops, sorry Geoff.
I live in Central Florida, and I don't have any local music stores where I can play a Rivera, Budda, Orange, Bogner, Black Cat, Fuchs etc. that I'm aware of. I'm in the land of Sam Ash and Guitar Center here (national chains) and all they have are fender, marshall and peaveys (and mostly modelling amps).

I'm also buying second hand, with all of the problems that can arise and usually no warranty. Plus, I'm helping out someone else who maybe wants to finance another new amp, but needs to sell his to afford it (been there many times).

I do go to the local store for all of my supplies, and go to the local guitar tech. to set up my guitar when needed.

gsj wrote:

Thanks for using your local store big_smile

ken wrote:

Ken, no probs my friend. smile

Matt, there's way to much good stuff on the market nowadays. I'm a little biased (unlike some amps smile ) but check out Cornell Plexi and Romany, Cornford, H&K Dual 84. I use a Dr Z....a little bit more money but tone doesn't come cheap.

Matt...you asked...." Also would you think it would be worthwhile to upgrade, would I notice much difference between the transistor and a valve amp? And I suppose how loud would a 15 watt all valve head be?"

Yes indeedy....you'd notice the difference between valves and transistor when it came to tone.....and a 15 watt tube amp would be about the same as a 50 watt transistor amp in volume....but better!!!!

10 (edited by Logo33 2008-02-26 03:44:01)

Matt-
You cant go wrong with all tube!! Have you thought about getting a 2x12 combo amp? I play through a fender Hotrod DeVille. I think its a great amp, pretty versatile. I just dialed in a really nice deep bassy tone the other day that im really diggin. You might also look into amp blending. Thats what joe does... with the 4 heads. I think im gonna run my fender with a vox, for the mids and highs. Hope it helps!!

Also, what kind of guitar are you playing?
keep in mind... an all tube amp gets LOUD so you dont need much to be able to play small venues.

Logan.

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Check out the Fender Blues Junior, its one of the most unfendery Fender amps ever.  Its 15 watts, EL84 powered and can sound very British sounding when pushed but cleans up well.  I use it on a good percentage of my gigs and mic it when it needs it.  Good Luck.
Mike

12 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-02-26 10:37:05)

Matt wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys.

NPB - Yeah thats what i was thinking the numbers meant, thanks for clearing that up. Would it be better to have a 2x12 as far as tone goes though? or can you still get a good tone from a 1x12? Im justhing thinking because if its only a 15watt head and each speacker in the orange cabs can take 60 watts each. Would a 2x12 be too much for the amp to drive?

Thanks again, (sorry for all the questions),
Matt

too much is not an issue as long as you match up the ohms.

My 1x12 combo amp is great, but sometimes I unplug it and plug the amp into a 4x12 marshall. I'll just use the cabinet for larger gigs. It really changes the tone for the better...just more full. The 1x12 cabinet didn't do much for me, and the 2x12's I owned were good. The way I see it, for a little bit more $ you can get a 4x12...and that's the tone I liked best.

I'd say get an amp you're happy with and put it through different cabs till you find the perfect match. A 2x12 Marshall combo just couldn't fill a room as well as a 2x12 Fender Twin Reverb - so its all in what you like and what you pick out. I personally like the 1x12 combo with the same wattage as the 2x12 because its less to carry around for small gigs, and can always plug it into the 4x12 cabinet for larger gigs.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I bought a used Tiny Terror 2 months ago and am very pleased. Because it's only 15/7 watts, you can run the master at least 1/2 to 3/4 in most any room and not get dirty looks. That gives you nice power tube overdrive with decent sustaint. The only catch is that if you run it at lower volumes and crank the gain to get overdrive, it won't clean up at the guitar. I run it with a Hot Rod DeVille so I'm not looking for clean and it works great for me. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it alone on a gig with just a clean boost for solos. I paid less than $600 US for the head and a 1x12 cab loaded with a Vintage Celestion.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

Geoff, ever had the chance to try a cool little Canadian number that was a quite limited edition the Traynor YCV 15 Blue??? I am a biased Canuck of course, but that little puppy was unbeatable for the money........

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

bigjeffjones wrote:

This is my next purchase for garage amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Va … 1275082.gc

lookitover
Jeff

Of course buy locally!!! if possible.  This is just to read on.  I fixed the links.

For my bonabuddy Geoff!  I'm in Central FL too.  The last time I went in to my local store, I was asked to leave cause the only people on were clerks, not sales agents or musicians.  Then I went in to a store in Daytona...much better.  You know I support the small biz cause I are one.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Indeed you are Jeff and much cool Karma to your soul for being so.

GeofftoJeff Peace!

bigjeffjones wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

lookitover
Jeff

For my bonabuddy Geoff!  I'm in Central FL too.  The last time I went in to my local store, I was asked to leave cause the only people on were clerks, not sales agents or musicians.  Then I went in to a store in Daytona...much better.  You know I support the small biz cause I are one.

17 (edited by Matt 2008-02-26 17:15:43)

Thanks alot for the replies guys.

I see that that Dr Z amp you were talking about GSJ uses similar tubes to the Tiny Terror, or it did anyway, i think the tiny terror now comes with ECC8's rather than the 12AX7's in the pre-amp

I think a Tiny Terror with a 2x12 cab oculd be quite fun and in a good price range, I just need to find a store that has one, i'd be a bit wary of buying a piece of kit without trying it out first.

Btw Logan, I play mostly a Gibson SG and an Ephiphone Les Paul (signed by Joe which makes it sound better wink)

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, contact Orange amps for your local dealer's details. They'll be happy to help.