Topic: Intonation issues with Gibson type guitars?

Hey folks,

I have some issues with my Les Paul (.10-.46 string gauge / tuned half step down). I have let it set up through my guitar tech, who explains me that guitars or stringed instruments generally have intonation issued - it's physics. Okay, got that, but why don't I have that issue on my Strats?

It's really a pitty you know. I love the tone and the feel of my Paul and I am convinced that my guitar tech is working professionally and does his best.

Is it that Gibson type guitars suffer from worse intonation/temperation due to the angle of the headstock?

I now took into consideration exchanging the bone nut with an Earvana nut to smooth the problem.

What is your experience with this issue? I bet some of you know what I am talking about. Sometime when I am "over sensitive" my playing fun suffers from that matter a lot :-(

Hearing Joe Bonamassa playing a C-major chord on his Les Paul and hearing that it sound totally intonated makes me believe that there must be a way and a solution, but at the moment I am helpless and also a little frustrated.

What can I do?

Re: Intonation issues with Gibson type guitars?

I've never had this problem with any of the 2Gibsons or 1Gibson copy...so it should be fixable.  Are only certain strings bad? What part of physics causes intonation to be bad? hmmmmmm.....

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Jimi75 wrote:

Hey folks,

I have some issues with my Les Paul (.10-.46 string gauge / tuned half step down). I have let it set up through my guitar tech, who explains me that guitars or stringed instruments generally have intonation issued - it's physics.

you mean issues, right? Holy sh...smoke man. Find a new tech or learn to do your own set-ups.

Spider

4 (edited by gsj 2008-02-26 16:45:01)

Actually your tech isn't wrong. Mathematically a guitar can never be perfectly in tune along the whole length of the fingerboard and a compromise is always needed....it's worse on acoustics. The Buzz Feiten system, as used on Tom Anderson guitars, helps with the problem but isn't always the easy option.

Jimi, if you're tuning down half a step then go up a gauge to 11's. Also, do as Joe has said and run the strings through the stoptail from the pickup side and then over to the bridge. you can probably step up yet another gauge.

Now, here's the thing.....could be your top nut is badly cut and is too high and/or the strings are sticking in the nut. Maybe you could ask another tech for a second opinion.

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

These guitars can be perfectly in tune and intonnated. The fretboard has "fanned frets" and the bridge is distance compensated. Check em out! John Mayer played one back in 2002.

http://www.novaxguitars.com/sales/index.html

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have heard this alot over the years... The pitch of the headstock really shouldnt do anything to the intonation..  The key to keep LP's and Gibsons in general in tune, is to graphite the nut and to get rid of the sticking of the D and G strings.. Jus.. making the bar chords seem out of tune and the whole guitar hard to tune up.  Another trick that I do is to cut off the retaining wire from the ABR-1.  If you find you need to go back or forward a bit more to get the guitar to intonate better then you have that flexiblity. Also you may have a situation where your frets need to be dressed or replaced due to uneven wear.  That will also cause a guitar to play out of tune.  Lowering the pickups slightly will also help reduce to the drag on the lower strings caused by the magnets.   I have had the same senarios with Fender and other brands.  People have been playing Gibson guitars intune for a long time. There is always a way
Good Luck
Joe Bonamassa

Thank you for the informative posts.

True temperment frets also fix the guitar's natural tuning issues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmnDscRomA

FWIW, I haven't noticed much difference in tuning between my LP and my strats, teles, PRS, etc.

As long as your frets are in good condition, setting intonation is not hard to do. There are lots of videos on youtube explaining how its done. Do it one time and you'll never even consider paying to have it done again, its that easy.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

What about fanned frets?
http://www.novaxguitars.com/