Topic: joes guitar setup on django...

just curious joe or anybody, what is the setup in terms of effects, guit, amp etc? im learning to play it. Are you using a strat with the tremelo?

Re: joes guitar setup on django...

Joe has almost always played it on a Strat with the tremelo. There is at least one video of him playing it on a Les Paul, however.

You can search YouTube to find examples of Joe actually playing the song live.

It's definetly a Strat on the recording - he does a lot with the bar on it... not too sure about anything else in the setup though...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

4 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-04-10 15:43:38)

hmmm I would've guessed a vintage Gibson hollowbody electric with P-90's.....

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I always thought that was a Gigliotti song. If not, it would be a good excuse to bring out the Gigliotti for the live shows.

On the album its def. a strat.  Now live he's doing it on a LP.  As for amps its the Van Veelden I think.  If hes using any overdrives at all its prob. the Tube Screamer.  Just my .02.

hmmmm.... Doesn't the CD booklet say which guitar was used for each song?
I'll have to check back with you.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I ll tell you exactly what I used for that song.. If I remember correctly .. I turn 31 in 3 weeks and have 22 grey hairs...
It was a Silver Jubilee Marshall with the boss DD3 and the 1972 Marshall superlead through a 4X12 Budda Cab with a Flip tremelo and Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost MK2.  The guitar was my Blue Gigliotti strat that has the best and most responsive Tremelo ever.  I guess Pat doesnt like me anymore since he took off his new website.. Anyway they are great guitars.. Mogami cables and OH!!  a  old TC Chorus. The drone was created by a Line 6 echo that I had in line for the Pain and Sorrow thing.  Carl Martin makes the best chorus now IMHO.   Kevin Shirley had ALOT to do with that tone as well.. The abbey road Neve thats at the Palms studio room A  and 1176 compressors didnt hurt either.   
Thanks Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I ll tell you exactly what I used for that song.. If I remember correctly .. I turn 31 in 3 weeks and have 22 grey hairs...
It was a Silver Jubilee Marshall with the boss DD3 and the 1972 Marshall superlead through a 4X12 Budda Cab with a Flip tremelo and Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost MK2.  The guitar was my Blue Gigliotti strat that has the best and most responsive Tremelo ever.  I guess Pat doesnt like me anymore since he took off his new website.. Anyway they are great guitars.. Mogami cables and OH!!  a  old TC Chorus. The drone was created by a Line 6 echo that I had in line for the Pain and Sorrow thing.  Carl Martin makes the best chorus now IMHO.   Kevin Shirley had ALOT to do with that tone as well.. The abbey road Neve thats at the Palms studio room A  and 1176 compressors didnt hurt either.   
Thanks Joe B

Thanks for chiming in Joe! Nice to hear the details of one of my favorite tunes.

Welcome back to the forum as well!

ken wrote:

I always thought that was a Gigliotti song. If not, it would be a good excuse to bring out the Gigliotti for the live shows.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Thanks Joe B

I win!!! big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Joe

Welcome back!

Just 22? You lucky dog!

I was 31 back in December and started going grey at about 17 - i've now lost count - in fact it would probably be quicker to count the non-grey! lol

Joe wrote:

The guitar was my Blue Gigliotti strat that has the best and most responsive Tremelo ever.  I guess Pat doesnt like me anymore since he took off his new website..

Does that mean that your signature model is no longer available?

Vicky

"Stellar" a word used by Joe Bonamassa (also apt as a description of the man himself cool)

Joe Bonamassa, I am jumping up and down for joy that you are back!!!!!!!!!!!  Just don't pull any of those gray hairs out, because two come back in their place.  wink  Patty

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Saw you using that Gigliotti at The Borderline Joe. Stunning guitar!!!!

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Hey Joe.........Is that it?(sure you didn't forget something?).

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I guess Pat doesnt like me anymore since he took off his new website.   
Thanks Joe B

I really dislike the new gigliotti website. The demographic appears to be ALL messed up. Is it metal now? I dont' get it. The girls are a negative distraction at best, and takes away from "quality" aspect of the guitars. I digress.  But I have no idea why they took you off the site. I can see taking you off the homepage and the whole bio and everything, I mean all PRS had orginally was Santana and (maybe) Nugent. but what they show now on the gig site is ridiculous. And Anthony Gomez?  Well, Anthony Gomez. Enough said.

I think they scared me away IMHO

smile

I caught Joe last summer here in Pittsburgh.  Being a fellow endorsee of Fuchs, I got his number and tried to give him a call to hook up with him, say hi and talk gear.

What I love about Joe's playing is his attention to details.  So many small things go into a  great tone.  From cables to mics and placement, effect settings to the guitar and amp combo. 
When Joe goes after a vibe for a song he really nails the detail.  He gives Kudos to the greats while making it his own.  Whether he's going after the EJ tone or as Django gives props to the JB vibe, or BB King....he really nails the subtlties of the tones and artists (making Joe B an amazing versitile player)

When I heard Django on the record I instantly thought Jeff Beck...Strat, Marshall.