Topic: 'Tis a sad day in "Strat-land" for Strat/Joe fans!!

In the latest issue of the British guitar magazine..."Guitarist" there is a fantastic interview with Joe...so I ran out to get it!
Let's set the record straight....I am a "Strat-Guy". I used to LOVE what Joe did on a Strat!! Don't get me wrong...I love the sound of a roaring Les Paul through a Marshall....but my loyalty is to the STRAT.
Joe seems to have 'cut his teeth' on a Strat and seemed to wring some amazing things out of it!! Particularly the black Eric Clapton on on the old dvd and...YES...even the gold sparkly one......damn I loved the sound of that axe!!

In this interview...Joe speaks with particular venom towards the Gold Sparkly on in particular. I get the impression he has lost his "thing" with Strats! Too damned bad.........I really dug how he strangled a Strat!! gave me something to aim for!!

Joe ...Joe.....where did it go wrong??!!???

From the mag:

And what about Strats?
“Well y’know, I’m a Les Paul player, but I got
known as a Strat man because I was the young
kid with that gold… @#$%^^&#… sparkle… Strat.
I played it for two songs and all of a sudden it’s
on everything because it’s the most visible
guitar I played! Meanwhile I played a Les
Paul for over 70 per cent of the show and
nobody cared! That Strat is now in storage in
Burbank under about 200 other guitars: piece
of **##.”

Such harsh words for an old friend!!

"One of Chuck's children out there playin' his licks"

Re: 'Tis a sad day in "Strat-land" for Strat/Joe fans!!

Hi Richp..Joe mentioned in a previous interview that when he played a Fender he was ALWAYS getting compared to SRV. I think that was the catalyst. He also stressed the "tone" he gets from his Gibsons. It is all about the tone. At least, in my opinion. Check the "Joe interview" thread for more.    Cathy

I think you will find that this was just frustration at people focusing on a particular aspect of Joe's public persona and not looking at him as a whole - its a bad thing for people to be typecast as being just one particular thing

I think that this is something that Joe in particular would really hate - he's so experimental / artistic and seems to feel at his best when he's mixing it up

Also as a continually progressing artist - to always be reminded of something from your early days - although these are what got you started - is kind of a put down don't you think -what you really want is someone to notice what you are doing now, what you are playing now, your sound and technique right now, not harking on about the past, how great that was etc

I'm sure it all gets a bit wearing after a while, people asking the same questions over and over............I think all he was saying was look at me, not just the sparkly guitar, is this all I will ever be remembered for? Geez

I think that there are always going to be people who love fender over gibson and visa versa so that particular aspect is something to agree to disagree over

But hey - its all Joe and its all good - my favourite music is what Joe plays right now, because thats what he wants to play, thats what he feels good playing and therefore that what he's best at playing - right here, right now - till tomorrow, the next day, the day after that........................ smile

Vicky

"Stellar" a word used by Joe Bonamassa (also apt as a description of the man himself cool)

Joe,
You sign the strat and i'll be happy to buy it from you!! Bob

Hey Everybody,
          Two reasons actually.. First was the constant comparison to SRV (something that I am truly honored by  but not a fair assessment of the way I play) Second reason I used to spend hours and a hours trying capture this tone I had in my head. When I play the Gibson it just appears naturally. I grew up playing Les Pauls and trying to sound like Paul Kossoff.  It was only due to Bloodline that I need a thinner sound to cut through a 5 piece ensemble.   I guess there is one more reason as well... Due to the fact that Fender copied the gold strat exactly down to its wear marks and such.. Without asking or giving me the slightest bit of credit for it.. I found that to be a very unclassy arrogant move on their part..  And for that reason I have banned any Fender products from being on stage with me... Example If Rick for some reason has a Fender beach towel to keep his hands dry, we will provide him one that says Gibson...  Yes I can be that petty sometimes.... Cant we all :-)
Joe Bonamassa

I love my Telecaster to death.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

7 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-04-18 14:10:59)

WAY TO GO JOE!

I have a major respect for Fender as a whole and strats/tele's - but the apples to orange comparison lies with brand loyalty. (See the 50 year guitar war dvd) That said, I'm a huge gibson fan.  When I wanted a strat - i built it from parts off ebay.

(this paragraph was edited because I didn't read all of the posts....especially Joe's) I was sounding like a broken record. sorry if you read it!

That gold strat is the only guitar I think I ever saw Joe break a string on. And I HAVE the string!

IMHO

Nic

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Good you hear your side or opinion Joe.  We salute and support you.
Any extra towels?   Ha!
Mike

Just when I discovered the meaning of life, it changed.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I guess there is one more reason as well... Due to the fact that Fender copied the gold strat exactly down to its wear marks and such.. Without asking or giving me the slightest bit of credit for it.. I found that to be a very unclassy arrogant move on their part..  And for that reason I have banned any Fender products from being on stage with me... Example If Rick for some reason has a Fender beach towel to keep his hands dry, we will provide him one that says Gibson...  Yes I can be that petty sometimes.... Cant we all :-)
Joe Bonamassa

Hey Joe - good on you, its the principle of the thing - not petty at all - very human in fact smile

Apologies for second guessing your reasons for the quote in Guitarist

Vicky

"Stellar" a word used by Joe Bonamassa (also apt as a description of the man himself cool)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Example If Rick for some reason has a Fender beach towel to keep his hands dry, we will provide him one that says Gibson...  Yes I can be that petty sometimes.... Cant we all :-)
Joe Bonamassa

Oh, poor Rick - but the Gibson logo looks much better anyway lol !

I can´t imagine Joe Bonamassa without a Gibson Les Paul in his hands ... just fits. And there´s soooooooooo many Strat players out there who sound like Stevie or Eric Clapton or someone else.
Personally I like the "warm" and rocking sound of a Gibson much better, and I think it´s not just me.
Go Gibson!  wink

Eva

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I guess there is one more reason as well... Due to the fact that Fender copied the gold strat exactly down to its wear marks and such.. Without asking or giving me the slightest bit of credit for it.. I found that to be a very unclassy arrogant move on their part..  And for that reason I have banned any Fender products from being on stage with me... Example If Rick for some reason has a Fender beach towel to keep his hands dry, we will provide him one that says Gibson...
Joe Bonamassa

Lawsuit!

What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wild beasts sweeping majestically over the fields?

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Everybody,
          Two reasons actually.. First was the constant comparison to SRV (something that I am truly honored by  but not a fair assessment of the way I play) Second reason I used to spend hours and a hours trying capture this tone I had in my head. When I play the Gibson it just appears naturally. I grew up playing Les Pauls and trying to sound like Paul Kossoff.  It was only due to Bloodline that I need a thinner sound to cut through a 5 piece ensemble.   I guess there is one more reason as well... Due to the fact that Fender copied the gold strat exactly down to its wear marks and such.. Without asking or giving me the slightest bit of credit for it.. I found that to be a very unclassy arrogant move on their part..  And for that reason I have banned any Fender products from being on stage with me... Example If Rick for some reason has a Fender beach towel to keep his hands dry, we will provide him one that says Gibson...  Yes I can be that petty sometimes.... Cant we all :-)
Joe Bonamassa

THAT is TERRIBLE Joe!  An unspeakably rude move on Fender's part AND not a very bright one either.  Why would they choose to alienate a GUITAR GENIUS?  It's a prime example of greedy, small minded thinking.......a little more change in their pockets now.......as opposed to whatever your continued support of their brand could have meant to their bottom line in the future.  You are not petty Joe - you just know the difference between right and wrong - and boy, were they WRONG.

smile  Libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

13 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-04-18 14:56:04)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I have banned any Fender products from being on stage with me... Yes I can be that petty sometimes.
Joe Bonamassa

It's not petty. It's just good business. By playing certain guitars, people watching 'jones' for the same equipment.  That said, why should you freely advertise a company that doesn't scratch your back?

After hearing about the copy I have less respect for Fender, but at the same time I previously wouldn't have put it past them either.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Everybody,
Joe Bonamassa

Okay....I guess, due to the NERVE of the people at Fender...I can possibly see the "BAN" of all things Fender out of anger on your part...
But Joe.....you have to admit...SRV comparisons aside.....anyone and I mean ANYONE who picks up a Strat and plays pentatonically is doomed to get some comparisons to either Jimi, Stevie and the like ! Heck...even one of my all time heroes....Robin Trower....has had the shadow of Hendrix on him his whole career ! And aside from using the same effects and guitar, Trower was not a Jimi clone. Trower was much more 'controlled' whereas Jimi was a wildman !

All I was saying is....I (personally) loved the way you played the hell out of Strat. You (IMHO) sounded NOTHING like Stevie !! (heck.....there are only 5 notes in a pentatonic scale....you are bound to hit some of the same ones as him!!)

I hope Fender comes around and gets off their friggin' high horse and gives you your due!!

"One of Chuck's children out there playin' his licks"

Wait... I never loved the Fender Strat sound but ok whatever.  But, but, but the Doc's weapon of choice is a '74 Jazz Bassinator.  http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie … p;offset=0  cool

What would I replace it with?  My brother Bob has the '72 Precision hid under his bed.

BTW...all guitars owned are Gibson, Epiphone or Paul Reed Smith.  Carmine...WTF?  lol
Keys are all Wurlitzer and Roland.  But my baby?

good to have you guys home!

Bogie it's your fault, young whippersnapper.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

16 (edited by Vette335 2008-04-18 16:44:09)

I too loved Joe's strat tones.  I dug the original sound he conveyed on the Bloodline record and some of the cool tones he got with the EC strat.  I believe the SRV comparisons must have come from critics who heard some SRV influence in tunes like "So It's Like That" and "You Upset Me Baby" and decided to make that the be all end all of the Bonamassa sound.  In my opinion Joe had an extremely original sound on the strat, just like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and others have....same guitar, extremely different tones.  Actually Joe is one of the few blues/rock guitarists with an original sound, coming from both his equipment, his hands and his harmonic vocabulary.  When you hear SRV rip offs like Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Chris Duarte, Henry Garza or Wes Jeans, you realize how important someone with an original sound heavily steeped in the tradition really is.  If Joe feels he can best convey his musical message on a Les Paul, I will support him (I too have a Les Paul, though I am a strat player more often than not).  Crazy story though about Fender copying the Gold strat.  I can't wait to see this new JB LP!

p.s.  if you are lookin' to get rid of any of them old strats, lemme know!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Everybody,
Joe Bonamassa

Joe,
   Your moral compass is true.
                              pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Vette335 wrote:

I too loved Joe's strat tones.  I dug the original sound he conveyed on the Bloodline record and some of the cool tones he got with the EC strat.  I believe the SRV comparisons must have come from critics who heard some SRV influence in tunes like "So It's Like That" and "You Upset Me Baby" and decided to make that the be all end all of the Bonamassa sound.  In my opinion Joe had an extremely original sound on the strat, just like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and others have....same guitar, extremely different tones.  Actually Joe is one of the few blues/rock guitarists with an original sound, coming from both his equipment, his hands and his harmonic vocabulary.  When you hear SRV rip offs like Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Chris Duarte, Henry Garza or Wes Jeans, you realize how important someone with an original sound heavily steeped in the tradition really is.  If Joe feels he can best convey his musical message on a Les Paul, I will support him (I too have a Les Paul, though I am a strat player more often than not).  Crazy story though about Fender copying the Gold strat.  I can't wait to see this new JB LP!

p.s.  if you are lookin' to get rid of any of them old strats, lemme know!

Please, let's not turn this into a bash KWS-Chris Duarte-Henry Garza thing. I love those players, and as far as I'm concerned, they've taken the SRV tone and done their own thing with it. They are NOT SRV ripoffs. Influenced? You bet. But not ripoffs. A ripoff is someone like this guy, copying the hat and everything down to the kimono:

http://www.raveon.ca/looks/photos/Renny … ssmans.jpg

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends