Topic: What is your amp of choice?

Marshalls are just great, Line6 has kl presets, mesa boogie have some of the warmest cleans or the heaviest OD's, Peavey are metal OR blues, AMPS ARE JUST SOO VERSATILE!!!
Question is, what is your favourite????

Scagey

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Re: What is your amp of choice?

I'll start  y'all off.
I love marshalls, and I play through a 50 DFX.

1) Coz theyre just right volume.

2) they have effects

3) They sound great! (with FDD turned on, they sound all valve!!!! could be some preset!)

There ya go

Cheers

Scagey

Vox AC30

Fender Stratocaster,  2005 Burns Brian May Sig, 2006 BMG Brian May Signature,  Greg Covington Fireplace Ultra Treble Booster, RAT Electronics Valve Junior Head & Cab & TC Eelctronics G Sharp

www.polr.co.uk

Fuchs ODS 50.  It's my dream amp.  The minute I played it I knew it was me.

I like that old fendery sound from the 60's;  Bruno Cowtipper does it for me.

Last 6 months kinda got addicted to that rotating speaker sound.  Got a Motion Sound SRV-212. It takes 100 watts so I run it with my TRRI. The 85 watts makes those speakers fill the room with sound way past any pedal out there.  Trouble is that I'm usually playing everything with that rotary speaker; drunk with sound.

Anything that's alltube. Currently Im using a Fender Blues Deluxe. My other amp blew up, but Im getting the Category 5 JB-100 in a week.

What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wild beasts sweeping majestically over the fields?

Most people seem to like valve amps, i miyself never played through a vox, maybe i should check one out some day.
How much they usually sell for?

Scagey

Shredderman14 wrote:

Most people seem to like valve amps, i miyself never played through a vox, maybe i should check one out some day.

Scagey

Well my brother got a valvetronix and it was overloaded with effects but I was not impressed with the tone. Maybe it was just a bad model??

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

9 (edited by Univibe2008 2008-08-03 05:53:43)

JBSRV wrote:
Shredderman14 wrote:

Scagey

Well my brother got a valvetronix and it was overloaded with effects but I was not impressed with the tone. Maybe it was just a bad model??

JBSRV

Which Vox Valvetronix does you brother own a Chrome or a Blue.  I have 2 Ad60VT's(blue) the tone and the effects are pretty good considering its a modelling amp.  These amps suffer terribly from flubby bottom end so if your brother has an FX loop in his Vox tell him run an EQ in through. 

The amp tone just comes to life im using a cheap as chips behringer EQ for mine and the difference is unbelievable.  If he needs any support on this check out the following site/forum for hints and tips.  There is a guy on there called Voxman and he is the man to ask if your brother is having problems with his amp or tone.

www.valvetronix.net

Scagey

Depending on which Vox you want to try they cost anything from £89 up to £1000 and beyond.  If your trying a valvetronix try the 30-100 watt chrome versions the 15 watt versions have different speakers and don't sound as good.  Try one with an eq in the FX Loop and you will here the difference.  Also steer clear of the newer Vox XL series these are High Gain versions of the chrome range and dont recommend one for playing blues.  The Valvetronix blue series like mine are now discontinued but have been replaced by the Diamond Series due out this October. The AC30 is their top of the range amp & quite expensive all valve great sound and if your a bedroom player i dont recommend one without a power soak as you'll have no windows left in your house.

Neil

Fender Stratocaster,  2005 Burns Brian May Sig, 2006 BMG Brian May Signature,  Greg Covington Fireplace Ultra Treble Booster, RAT Electronics Valve Junior Head & Cab & TC Eelctronics G Sharp

www.polr.co.uk

I change my mind on this one, a lot!

Right now, it has been my Budda Twinmaster 210 Combo. Very cool sounding amp. A LOUD 18 watts, with a kind of "Marshally" OD Tone, mixed with a "Vox" type Clean Tone. Tough sounding, to be sure. It always provokes a lot of questions from other players.

Also, an old Tweed Princeton is hard to beat! Gotta love the feel of those.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

JBSRV wrote:
Shredderman14 wrote:

Scagey

I had one too, but I just couldn't get the tone out of the amp. It kinda stayed in there. So I sold the damn thing, and bought a Fender. Best thing Ive ever done.

What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wild beasts sweeping majestically over the fields?

12 (edited by Univibe2008 2008-08-03 17:50:53)

Guitargeek wrote:
JBSRV wrote:
Shredderman14 wrote:

Scagey

I had one too, but I just couldn't get the tone out of the amp. It kinda stayed in there. So I sold the damn thing, and bought a Fender. Best thing Ive ever done.

Guitargeek

I suppose everyones ears are different regarding the sound of an amp and the Valvetronix amps are no exception.  I do agree with you the tone of the amp just stays in there but run an EQ pedal into the FX loop just takes a blanket of the amp and gets that tone out.  (Click link below for demo first without eq then with)  Its a tip for all you Valvetronix owners on the Forum believe me you wont regret it.  Hopefully Vox have addressed these issues when the new Black Diamond Valvetronix comes out in October.

Univibe2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYViVcU6 … ature=user

www.polr.co.uk

Well the G.A.S. bug bit me again. With help through a local shop I was able to find a Marshall 50/100 2555 Jubilee head. Not the SL(Slash) model. This one was made in 1988. It's the same as the Silver Jubilee but in dark tolex instead of silver. It sounds great but I will have a tech take a look see and work his mojo on it.

sshhh... I still haven't told my wife!!! wink I had to have a amp worthy of the JBLP. Right? Right! It just wouldn't be right playing Joe's signature LP through a blues deluxe!!!

Yeah I can rationalize almost anything!!! lol

Now I need a good 4X12 cab....oh boy the wife is gonna be steamed.

later
Spider

Just going by the amps i've played through personally and not just heard, i just about have to say a 20 watt Marshall Plexi.  Dont let the low wattage fool you, for playing in small clubs and bars, that is the ticket in my opinois, just as good overdriven tones and levels that dont melt the people standing in front of it. I also play through a 64 vibroverb custom and i wouldnt trade that amp for ANYTHING. Also just bought a 60 watt Marshall TSL, ( only because it was for an ignorantly low price ). Overall, for the places i play, the 20 Watt Plexi has my vote.

Brian

Right now it's a 65 Amps Soho head with a 2x12 cab. Iths EF86/EL84 combo gives it such a great sound and it is very flexible soundwise. Definitely British voiced, giving you both Vox AC30 and Marshall JTM sounds (when dialed in right). Have a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature coming soon, so we should see how that one does.

My Top Hat Emplexador is the most amazing amp I've ever played and that's saying alot over 30+ years, better than any Marshall I've ever played, including the old Plexi's.  close behind I have a Komet 60 that was voiced by Ken Fischer.  I also have a top hat supreme 16 that makes me weak in the knee's beautiful Vox el 84 chime.  I also have a old Mesa Mark 111 stimuclass blue stripe that's very nice.  I have a JCM 800 Mark 11 super lead that gathers dust in the corner!

If heartaches were nickels, I'd have 35 cents!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =383604393

dr. dave wrote:

My Top Hat Emplexador is the most amazing amp I've ever played and that's saying alot over 30+ years, better than any Marshall I've ever played, including the old Plexi's.  close behind I have a Komet 60 that was voiced by Ken Fischer.  I also have a top hat supreme 16 that makes me weak in the knee's beautiful Vox el 84 chime.  I also have a old Mesa Mark 111 stimuclass blue stripe that's very nice.  I have a JCM 800 Mark 11 super lead that gathers dust in the corner!

How would you describe the Emplexador?? Is it strictly in the Marshall-vein, or does its tonal flexibility allow it to dial in more Voxish-type sound or is that left to the supreme?? Was considering the Emplexador for a while.

Wouldn't mind trying out a Komet either. Man you got some great amps there.

It's every classic Marshall you ever wanted, in the vintage mode you get a perfect jtm 45 cleaner than the 80's types, it has a fat and boost mode to further shape the sound.  In the modern mode more of a high gain Marshall.  Absolutely endless sustain with the most controllable, beautiful feedback ever.  For the first time in 30 years I'm really happy with my sound.   Brian from top hat is a bit of a crumrudgeon, but he's an idiot savant when it comes to amps.  the supreme 16 is the Vox sound.  Brian is smart in that he does the right thing with one amp and does'nt try to make that amp all things (vox and marshall)

If heartaches were nickels, I'd have 35 cents!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =383604393