Topic: EV speakers problem - HELP!

Anyone here have a problem with them.  I have 2 sets of them in 2 identical 2x12 cabs and the first set started to give a buzzing noise when playing a bassier note.  I thought I may have blown them cuz i dimed a Marshall through them, but now the second set I'm starting to notince it and I never played as nearly as that loud out of them yet.  They are 200 watters each so i figured diming a Marshall would be alright, but now im thinking it's something else, but then again Joe cranks his amps out of them night after night so is it just me?  I am pretty positive its the speakers cuz both of my amps do it on both dirty and clean channels - especially on the first set.  I'm totally confused.  Its a shame cuz I really like these speakers a lot, they are expensive and I haven't even had them that long.  The amps I'm using are a Mesa Lonestar and Fuchs ODS, both are heads.  Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

Re: EV speakers problem - HELP!

Did you try swapping out cables?  A bad cable somewhere in the line might cause this?  Do the speakers do it with the Fuchs and Mesa amps as well?  Troubleshoot by eliminating each component.  swap cables, try a different guitar.  Try the head with a different cab etc.   It should be an easy problem to isolate.

Second question is why and where would you ever "dime" a 200 watt Marshall????

Hey thanks for the reply - HAHAHA no the Marshall was just a 100 watt slp - I couldn't resist no one was home LOL.  The speakers are 200 watts each so cranking pretty much any amp shouldnt damge the speaker right?  I tried isoalting them and went as far as just guitar amp ( I don't really use effects anyway) and it still does it, I used a brand new evidence audio melody cable - not so much on the second pair I bought, but definetly on the first pair which is only 6 months old.  It happens on both amps when using the first pair - I havent tried it on the second pair yet on both amps.  I'm totally confused and a little bummed if both my sets of speakers are damaged only being so new and expensive.  Also the people at EV weren't that helpful.  They just have a person that answers there phones and tells you to download this form off their website, then send the speakers to them and they will determine if its under warranty or not and they will fix it prob. for an arm and leg.  Totally not cool man.  If they had someone you could talk to that would be much better.  Anyway thanks for the reply and if anyone else has any knowledge on this it would be such a huge help.

Ben

Its got to be something in the chain or cabinet or just faulty speakers ...  If Im wrong ..  a new set of EV 12L's on me..  The 12LS are the go to speaker by necessity.  A 100 watt marshall cannot kill them...  Ive tried many times.. Thats why I use them.  Plus they sound killer .. 
Joe Bonamassa..
write me a email on the website if Im wrong..  I ll get u a new set...

Is the impedance set correctly for the number of speakers you're running? Perhaps the speakers aren't screwed in tight enough in the cabinet itself, or maybe the cabinet is vibrating on the floor. Do the speakers look in good shape? If you damage them by overloading them you can quite often see the damage. Did you have any problems with the cabinet before you put these speakers in it?

I'm a "car guy" and quite often find that problems that show themselves in one place are often caused by something elsewhere. I'd try to check everything so you isolate the problem as definitely the new speakers.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Its got to be something in the chain or cabinet or just faulty speakers ...  If Im wrong ..  a new set of EV 12L's on me..  The 12LS are the go to speaker by necessity.  A 100 watt marshall cannot kill them...  Ive tried many times.. Thats why I use them.  Plus they sound killer .. 
Joe Bonamassa..
write me a email on the website if Im wrong..  I ll get u a new set...

lol u cant beat that eh :)like the others have said check cabling and the cab to make sure everything is tight

I would take both speakers out of the cab then plug them into a power amp (PA amp, solid state bass amp, home stereo) play some bass heavy music and turn the treble down so you can hear the speaker well.  If there is no interaction between the speakers and anything else then it will truly let you know if the speaker is defective (the noise should present itself with any signal but dont get carried away with the volume especially if you are using a amp rated for more power than the speaker can handle).  With the speakers outside of an enclosure the noise should present itself pretty quick if the speakers are defective.  If they sound OK then next in the chain is the speaker cab.  Just work your way backward from the problem till its solved.............or....... you could let Joe get you a pair.  wink  How many of your friends can say that?
Good Luck
Mike

Hey all - thanks for the replies and you were all right - I tightened down everything in the cab and took it outside and put it on a hard surface and faced it out into the open and cranked up my amps.  Good news is there is no more buzzing sound.  I'm so glad now.  It must have maybe been something loose and the room I'm playing in must have something rattling in it that makes it sound like a buzz.  Who knows I'm just super happy now smile.  As for the speakers from Joe, thank you very much for the offer, but there is no way I could accept that as much as I would like.  You didn't have to do that, but the fact that you did makes you truely are a good person and its so cool that you take the time to answer my questions.

Thanks everyone again for there knowledge - I appreciate it and know there is someone hanging around on the gear forum with some answers.

Thanks,
Ben

So it was your house vibrating? Awesome!  big_smile

The neighborhood was probably buzzing with a 100 watt Marshall dimed.
I'm glad it worked out for you and Joe...that was a very generous offer to replace them.  You know your gear though and I think we all knew out here in forum land that it was a simple fix.
Good luck!