Topic: "New" piece of equipment

Please forgive my ignorance, but it seems to me that Joe is using a new piece of equipment on the left side of the stage if you are looking at the stage.  It looks like it has a big antenna and seems to produce differing sounds the closer the guitar gets to the "antenna."

Pix of this piece of equipment can be found in Rhonda's most recent FLICKR stream towards the beginning of the set.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered, or if I read the answer and didn't recognize what I was reading.

What is this thing and why have we seen it only recently, as I did not see it in June, and did see it in August.

Thanks,
-Rob

Bonamania is a disease with no cure.  Give it to all your friends.

Re: "New" piece of equipment

Thats a good old Fashioned Theremin.  Made by the Moog Company.  Its new and really cool
Thanks Joe Bonamassa

Geez, I was hoping somebody authoritative would respond, not some hack!  LOL!   

You sir, are THE MAN!  I'll be doing some research on the Theremin to try to understand how it works.

Looking forward to your return to MD on 10/20 to a sold-out Ram's Head On Stage!!

Enjoy your "mini-vacation"

-Rob

Bonamania is a disease with no cure.  Give it to all your friends.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Thats a good old Fashioned Theremin.  Made by the Moog Company.  Its new and really cool
Thanks Joe Bonamassa

Damn Joe! You been out there lurkin' just waiting to pounce????

Hope your enjoying your time off.
Spider

Tube screamer love it

Peace
Bluezman

I got blisters on my bloody fingers (JL)

I think this is the instrument that Jimmy Page used to get the ....errr......whoo whoo whoo sound in the middle part of Whole Lotta Love.
What a cool thing !!

Looking forward to sseeing it at the NEC and Gateshead.

Thanks for answering Joe.

Spider wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Thanks Joe Bonamassa

Damn Joe! You been out there lurkin' just waiting to pounce????

Hope your enjoying your time off.
Spider

You know Joe KNEW this was gonna come up sometime on the forum!

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Thanks Joe Bonamassa

Hmmm, that´s the first kind of syntheziser... does that make you a synthbluesrocker now Joe? wink

Alfred Hitchcock used theremins to make sound effects to his movies, and Beach Boys used one in the classic "Good Vibrations"... so I guess it's an ok instrument...
It's also the only electronic instrument allowed to be used in a symphonic orchestra I've been told.

Thanks for taking time to help joe!!!!

Check out this video where Joe demonstrates and explains about the theremin in details - part of a series of great gear demo videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7S9bQNkr7k

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

I do agree with Joe when he calls it "instant fun."

I have this on stage, and people go nuts when I play it... and by playing I mean the way a 12 year old would play a 9 piece drumset with no lessons.  big_smile

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

There is a video were Joe talks about annoying his sound man with his theremin.

Funny thing is about ten years ago I was in a band were I used a theremin in.  But I wasn't smart enough to figure out to put a volume pedal between it and the amp.  So one bad show the evil theremin decided to go slightly on for a couple of songs.  At the time it was mortifying and even made be retire it, but now its totally funny.

Amps: Marshall JCM 800, Marshall 1987 X Plexi, Vox AC-30, Ceriaton ODS HRM, Fender Bassman
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul's(Standard, Classic, and Studio)Es 125 T, Fender Strats, Telies, Wasburn Idol Pro
FX's: BOSS TU-2, Ibanez TS-808, TS-9, Dunlap 535Q Cry Baby, Fulltone OCD, Full drive 2, Supa Trem, Rat, Whirlwind Phaser, MXR Micro Chorus, Digatech Whammy, Line 6 DL4, Holly grail 2,Wampler Ego,Pinical

you can get one here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-tra … 5000000000

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Here's a write up about my band in the Detroit Metro Times.... the Theremin demanded the last part of the article.
http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.php/2 … E.facebook

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool