Topic: Amp Switching

I just watched the amps and speakers segment from Joe's Signature Sounds dvd (again) trying to get a grasp on this whole multi amp setup. He went through all of his settings and amps, and explained the differences in sound and so on and so fourth. When he got to the "A" setting, he explained that it was the two marshall silver jubilees and that it was his solo setting. Does that mean, that he will change amps in the middle of a song for the solo, and just go right back to what ever amp combo he was using before?

Thanks for the help

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Amp Switching

Yeah, that's probably what he meant. Some people use Channel Switching on a single amp. Others use different Amps, and switch between them.

EX:

A Fender Twin for Clean Passages

And A Cranked Marshall for Distorted passages.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

its all coming together now...

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

well honestly.. thats how Eric Johnson did it.. three separate rigs.  Clean , semi distorted and full on.. Sharing some pedals but others separtated.  Its complex.  I call my set up the most expensive channel switching setup in the world.  I always use the Marshall..  then its a series of midrange amps that create different tones.  Always two at a time. Never 4 or 1. 
Thanks Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

well honestly.. thats how Eric Johnson did it.. three separate rigs.  Clean , semi distorted and full on.. Sharing some pedals but others separtated.  Its complex.  I call my set up the most expensive channel switching setup in the world.  I always use the Marshall..  then its a series of midrange amps that create different tones.  Always two at a time. Never 4 or 1. 
Thanks Joe B

This might sound daft perhaps I should get the dvd but do you never just clean up using the volume control? or is it always a case of switching? I only ask cause most of us only get to use one amp on stages..

I have a poor mans plan to Bonamassa type switching. 

Here's what I do...

Les Paul into wah -> whirlwind ABY

Channel A goes into a Ocean Effects Texas Deuce.  Channel B is a Fulltone for lead.

Those then go into a ART 4 channel passive mini mixer thats about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  I then run it into a seymore duncan power boost and then into a DD6 Delay.

The reason for the Boost is you lose some volume when you run into a mixer or reverse ABY. I am not sure why but it has something to do with power and spliting and technical stuff.   Joe maybe you know? 

I added the boost and it is perfect for that.  I have it turned up one third and its right where is is normally.  I ABY'd the rig with and without the boost/mixer and it sound the same.  I noticed no color added to the sound.

Then I run all this into a twin and AC30.  I use the Vox only for some smaller gigs.  I'll add the twin on bigger gigs. It is a great sound.

The Key is finding effects that work best to your ears with your amps.  I am loving Ocean Effects.  I cant wait till I get my Pearl drive.  Hopefully it will arrive soon.