Topic: Anyone Mod Their Amps ?

Just wondering if any players mod their amps to their own styles.
I found a messed up 68 vibrolux for 200., that had some very weird things done to it already so first I put it back to stock, then decided what the heck and changed the preamp wiring so it's a cross between an old vibrolux and old twin. I left the reverb circuit in but removed the trem circuit and bright switch and used those pots to add a variable mid, bright, and presence control. I made a new 1x12 pine baffle and put in an old EV 12L I've had for awhile and this amp really cooks. Stays clean with lots of headroom. Has the sweetness of a vibrolux and the clean punch of a twin but because of the mid and presence control I can get a marshally tone as well. The output transformer was cooked so a friend gave me an OT from a 66 pro reverb he had laying around. I'm getting 439 volts across the power section, a lot of power for a vibrolux.
Sounds great with pretty much any pedal cause it stays clean so the OD pedal does the driving and my LP sustains forever.
I'm in the process of building a 1x15 pine combo cab for it so I can just put the chasis in and add an early 60's JBL that's in mint condition. I'm thinking that should sound amazing.

I was just curious as to how many, or any others do things like this to amps they come across.
If you read this, sorry about the fender thing Joe, but these amps are easy to mod.
I've done mods to marshalls as well but this amp was so cheap I couldn't resist.

Re: Anyone Mod Their Amps ?

thats a perfect thing to do with old amps like that.. If they've been really messed with then you have very little collector value to lose at that point.. I say make em sound good but dont try it ur self if you are not qualified!!! Thats a very dangerous job..
Joe B

That's a very good point Joe, and now that I look back at the post I realize I should have mentioned that. Stupid mistake on my part.
There are some dangerously high voltages even in lower powered amps and it's not something to try unless you're qualified.

Ouch a lesson learned the hard way!  Been there done that!

I modded my Marshall DSL 50 quite a bit...put a new OT transformer in it, new tubes...power and pre...and I changed some capacitor values.

mantegna wrote:

I modded my Marshall DSL 50 quite a bit...put a new OT transformer in it, new tubes...power and pre...and I changed some capacitor values.

Were you going for a particular sound when you did the mod or were you just experimenting?