Topic: Engl Amplifier

Yesterday i saw Joe and the Boys in Ludwigsburg, and i saw a piece of german Workmanship onstage, an Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature Amplifier,which was obviously running.

Joe, after you are addicted to german Engineering with the Lehle Switcher is there now another piece of gear? Whats your first impression of this Amp?

Re: Engl Amplifier

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6986

Wow! doesnt take you guys long...  The ENGL is my back up amp incase any of the four heads break down.. In this case the poor VanWeelden through no fault of its own suffered a harmful fall ( thanks to the stage hangs in Italy) Its making a strange cracking noise and Peter is fixing it now. Any other amp would be firewood from the fall the Twinkle took.. Its actually still working but I dont want to hurt it any further.  Like me it deserves a a break..  The ENGL in question is a Richie Blackmore model which I find is very good.. My other choice yesterday was the Bogner Ubershall which I was ready to buy at 2800 euros until I played the ENGL for 1069 (with roadcase as well) euros and found it better.. Goes to show you more money doesnt always mean more sound..  The ENGL might finish out the tour with me as my "Clean " amp.. Its by far not as complex as the Twinkleland (not many amps are) but it 'll do in a pinch..

Joe Bonamassa

Hi Joe,

good to hear you play any amps. And Engl amps, in particular the Blackmore
sounds pretty cool for the buck. I understand you just the clean channel, right?
Do you run it totally clean or use a distbox for some dirt?

Anyway, I will see you next wednesday in Osnabrueck.
Last time in Bluesgarage we didn't had the chance for a pic.
Maybe this time...

Looking forward,
Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

5 (edited by Louis 2008-12-01 09:17:57)

It's Too Bad Joe Didn't take the Lab Series L-5 to Europe on this trip.... Now that would have been a HOOT.... Stratovari- I think what he's talking about is That the ENGL was used in conjunction with a Saturated amplifier that was seperate. That's where he gets a true stereo tone... You can see what I mean it the thread "Joe's Big Reverbicated Tone". 
  I am looking at some ways to get that kind of sound on a much smaller scale... I was thinking of using a Marshall 1936 stereo Cabinet, but then feeding two different channels from the amp head,one through the left speaker and the other through the right... I wonder if that's possible? How Would you go about creating the Reverbicated Tone on a smaller, more practical scale Joe and forumites?

"All You have to do is write one true sentence..." E. Hemingway

right now the ENGL is being used as the semi clean amp with chorus and reverb...  It helps that the twinklelator is running through the effects loop.. makes it so much better..  Its a good all puroses amp.. Dave loves it for high gain stuff too.. Im happy  and saved 2 grand.... I highly recommend it if like 1000 euros is your budget.. perfect all purposes amp..
Joe B

Hi,

yes i'm aware about his multi setup of paired amps.
But I didn't know some of them would run totally clean.
I remember a YT Clip where he demonstrated all 4 amps separatly
and all where saturated but providing different mid ranges.

Your idea with the stereo setup would work fine.
If the speakers are powerful enough to handle the amps
you plug in, then it should work. You would have to mic bothe speakers then.
In fact I like the idea a lot.
The reverbicated sound depends on what amps you want to use?
But with a good reverb and delay Box you can get good results.

I have a 1936 too.I run a Budda Superdrive 30 over it. But I changed the speaker to
G12H-30 Heritage. they sounded a lot better than the stock G12T-75.
I paired it with a Marshall Bluesbreaker which runs clean.
In front of both amps is a Tubescreamer which is permanently on.
And second Dist pedal (Fulltone OCD) is for heavier leadwork.
For the ambience I have a Boss RV-3 (reverb which is permanently on)
in the FX Loop of the Budda and a Boss DD-3 in front of both amps.
It creates a great ambience and wideness. But all in all still a large setup
for a non pro like me..;)

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

right now the ENGL is being used as the semi clean amp with chorus and reverb...  It helps that the twinklelator is running through the effects loop.. makes it so much better..  Its a good all puroses amp.. Dave loves it for high gain stuff too.. Im happy  and saved 2 grand.... I highly recommend it if like 1000 euros is your budget.. perfect all purposes amp..
Joe B

Thanks Joe,
I'm always amazed you make so less secrets about your setup.
Very helpful to understand how to take the benefits of a multi amp setup.
I have a small stereo setup which I like a lot. But I want to try the Engl soon
to see how it works for me. The tone comes from the fingers.. (yadda, yadda) wink

Looking forward to see you on wednesday,
Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Thats a good set up and essentially is what I do just paired down.. You need a mid range amp and a saturated amp I find.  That makes one tone.. Only thing I'd do is put a EV 12L for your Budda side, that will focus the mids and give a more articulate sound.. The Celestions are good but give u a color and another note within the note.. If you follow.. Also Id add reverb to your bluesbreaker by getting a boss rev 5 and Exotic effects out board loop.. You'll be golden.
Joe B

In fact I thought about to put one EV 12L in before and let the second speaker place empty.
But I had the G12H30s still lying around. And I thought the EV would be oversized for the 30 watt Budda. But i'm always open to try new things. A friend has a Mesa cab with a EV 12L in and I will borrow it to give it a try. Also the effect section. Everythings quick with small money to realize. After the test session I will report here.

Thanks again Joe,
Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Hey Everyone,

Joe, does that mean your Jubilee is set totally clean and you use the varying overdrives from the other amps for your drive sound?  I'm just getting into the amp pairing thing and I like it a lot and learning new things as I go.  Also how do you set the volumes, is it by the amp and you mix it throught the PA or are they equal, I find when they are equal different amps roll off differently volume wise which I somewhat don't understand lol.  Will using a shield blend the volumes better also?

Sorry for the many querstions, I've been messing around with the idea, but its a little frustrating, yet the tone that it produces keeps wanting to figure it out more and more.

Rock and Roll,
Ben

A friend of mine plays a Budda Superdrive 30. It came with 2x10's but I cut a new pine baffle for him that fits the combo and installed an EV 12L. It sounds great and as Joe said, it is more articulate but not harsh at all. Big and 3 dimensional. I did the same thing for my vibrolux combo cab. The EV seems to sound good in almost every application because it's got such a wide tonal range.

What a Killer thread this became-  I don't know where else I'd look for all that knowledge on tap. I know thats gotta be true  (from Joe)... you really DO need two amps to pull it off. But still, I tend to want to simplify my setup.
  Stratovari- that sounds like an excellent rig... I wouldn't go to that much effort just to sit in the basement, so I encourage you to aim your efforts at playing and gigging with that. Really, that some kind of mean setup...
  One thing I notice about both Joe's and SV's setup is that they are running the signal through their LOOPS first, as opposed to directly into the amp. I think it's important to set it up that way- or you would have "split pea soup" from too much distortion and delay. I don't know if I will do it the exact same way initially... I think it makes more sense to me to begin with one real good amp/cabinet and just repeat that process.
  Meanwhile, there are about five more songs I want to learn. I'll be sure and post some videos when I get there- The science behind the "BRTone" is one thing... the ultimate prize is the music itself.

I wouldn't go to that much effort just to sit in the basement, so I encourage you to aim your efforts at playing and gigging with that.

What do you think??? Of course I will play live. I do play live with a Bryan Adams Tribute Band where I play since some years (www.bryan-live.de). There I use this setup or a Valvetech Hayseed 30.
My blues/rock project is very fresh. I always wanted to play those music.
I found the musicians now and we discuss what to play. It will be a compilation of JB (the ones I'm able to play big_smile ), Rory, SRV a bit Moore etc.. I really love that stuff and we will play live as soon we feel like to.

One thing I notice about both Joe's and SV's setup is that they are running the signal through their LOOPS first, as opposed to directly into the amp.

No, read closer. All signals (in my case) like Distortionpedals and wah start before the amp and goes over the splitbox straight into both amps input. Only the FX pedals (reverb, delay) are in the FX loop. And yes, you start with the FX stuff only after you have a proper basic sound with your amp. Oh, I'm with you that the technical aspect isn't more important than the music itself
but this section is called  "Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear"  that means we discuss about
gear here. I practise songs like crazy nowadays. Especially with this fantastic new Bandprojekt.
wink

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

15 (edited by Louis 2008-12-02 13:40:28)

Sorry Alex... you wrote about: "alot of equipment for a non-pro like me" above. That's what lead me to believe you were just on the way, so, no disrespect... I took the statement literally, though it looks like you were being facetious.
  Now it looks like the the other thing may be a point at which your setup is a little different from Joe's...(although you also run delay/reverb through the loop). Here's a piece I am taking from the "Big Reverbicated" thread: where Joe tells us how he does the delay thing...  "Next is the most important thing. The delay must be run through the effects loop. Running a delay in front of the amp is extremely difficult to handle. It runs away from you and is hard to control".
  Do you see what I mean? Oh, and how we love to split hairs- about gear here smile To run the Delay direct into the amp would give you a 'split pea soup' which isn't always good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-emQAsGMeQ

Louis, no worries, it takes a lot more to rattle my cage. wink
Well yes, split pea soup is the right word for your video.
I try not to transmit this to my sound lol
Yes my setup is way different and more simple than Joes of course.
But still a large setup in relation that i'm not a pro musician.
You know even as a hobby musician (like most of us here) you can gear up a bit over the top.
Anyway, in the end we all want to enjoy the music and the noise we make.

But tomorrow night I enjoy the noise of the man himself.
Going to report then.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Joe when or have you tried the Bogner XTC?  So far the Shiva and Uber didnt cut it. I want to know what you think of XTC Blue channel or the Plexi setting.
Hell it only cost a grand more than the Uber.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Wow! doesnt take you guys long...  The ENGL is my back up amp incase any of the four heads break down.. In this case the poor VanWeelden through no fault of its own suffered a harmful fall ( thanks to the stage hangs in Italy) Its making a strange cracking noise and Peter is fixing it now. Any other amp would be firewood from the fall the Twinkle took.. Its actually still working but I dont want to hurt it any further.  Like me it deserves a a break..  The ENGL in question is a Richie Blackmore model which I find is very good.. My other choice yesterday was the Bogner Ubershall which I was ready to buy at 2800 euros until I played the ENGL for 1069 (with roadcase as well) euros and found it better.. Goes to show you more money doesnt always mean more sound..  The ENGL might finish out the tour with me as my "Clean " amp.. Its by far not as complex as the Twinkleland (not many amps are) but it 'll do in a pinch..

Joe Bonamassa

hey joe i got a question about amps did you ever play a koch amp??
Its dutch too just like your van weelden head. I got a koch too so i am curious if you have played one what did you think of it??

Thanks alot,

Levi

blues may be easy to play but hard to feel