1 (edited by Stratovari 2008-12-16 12:51:34)

Topic: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555

Hi guys,

after a very looong search I finally found a Marshall SJ 2555
in almost brandnew condition. Here are some pics:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm20 … 20Jubilee/

I once played one and was amazed at its sound.
It such a warm distortion (even the evil diods that create the dist).

But I have a question, I searched the archive for some infos about the settings of Joe.
Of course I want to try his settings but there so many different claims..;)
Is he really using the clean channel? I remember the dist channel sounded pretty good.

Additional: I will run it over a 2x12 cab with one EVM 12L and a G12H30 Heritage,
a Rocktron Intellifex for the delay/Reverb stuff in the loop and compilation
of boosters, TS and a gazillion of other pedals...

Thanks
Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Re: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555

Hi!
Go to Joe's posted comments topic. I remember that he said to stay away from the 50 watters because they have a lot less midrange than the 100 watters... Check that! It may be a great amp anyway, but not as good as the 100W!

Hi,

you mistake something here. The 2555 jubilee that I bought IS a 100 watt top.
The 50 watt is called 2550 and I read Joes statement about the different mids.

Thanks
Alex

www.u2-experience.de

From a earlier post

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

easy....
presence 5 , bass 10 , mid 7.5  highs 4.5 master 10 , volume 5 and gain 5

Great! I noted that, thanks!
Final question, clean or dist channel?

wink

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Sorry about that, I got confused with the 25/50 thing on the front panel... Looks like you've finally found an awesome amp!

I believe clean. He uses the other amps to color his tone.

That's a question that has confused me. I also recall a post from Don at Cat 5 where he said Joe uses the clean channel on the Jubilee. Yet Joe specifies
"easy....presence 5 , bass 10 , mid 7.5  highs 4.5 master 10 , volume 5 and gain 5" 
which would indicate that the lead channel is engaged because the volume control (Lead Master) doesn't do anything on the clean channel. When I say that I'm referencing my 2554 50W Jubilee Combo I assume the Heads are configured the same even though the control order is reversed.

I've also taken a few pictures of Joe's rig when he's played in the UK and the Lead LED between the Lead Master and Output Master has been on which would confirm my theory.

The only other possibility I can think of is that Joe uses a different set up when in the USA from the UK. But it would be a significant difference so I think it's unlikely.

Pete

Now I've looked at your Jubilee pics. WOW!!!!!!! That is one clean amp.Congratulations!!

Pete

10 (edited by Louis 2008-12-16 20:00:11)

Congratulations Alex... Thats a tremendous amplifier for "a non-gigging pro" like you smile  I think that is the ONE amplifier Joe will not perform without- which says alot about it. Knowing you, a little bit, you probably have your DD-3 in the loop already... I vaguely remember reading something like that... I had to settle for much less, but I'm still stoked...
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/ … 0A_021.jpg

"All You have to do is write one true sentence..." E. Hemingway

11 (edited by Stratovari 2008-12-17 03:24:18)

Pete,
thanks, it looks like fresh out of the box  and yes its a bit confusing what channel he uses.
When used 2 Jubilees probably one was for crunch and the other for semi crunch or so.
I remember for some reason that he uses the Marshall for the dist nowadays.
Just speculatations. Maybe Joe chimes in himself to shed some light here.....

My dearest Louis!
Its now the second time I read this "non gigging" nonsense from you about me..:lol:
Here again only for you. Once I quoted myself as a "non-pro" which means
I don't make my money with making music BUT I DO gig a lot. Either with my band BRYAN or
on sessions. And soon with my new BluesRock project which has gonna start now.
As soon we have enough material we WILL gig. Easy as that...

For the Jubilee I plan to have a Rocktron Intellifex (1st series) in the Loop which allows me
to opt between different delay/reverb settings. I have another Budda superdrive 30
head which I do pair with the Marhall over stereo cab. This sounds really good.
Probably a bit over the top for a "non-pro" like me....;)

What do you think about this Fender amp you play?
Do you use any pedals for it?

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Nice amp man - thats one of the cleanest older amps I've ever seen.  Excellent find.

Ben

13 (edited by Louis 2008-12-17 11:47:55)

Well my Initial impression of the Fender, is that it gives you alot for not alot... It's probably just a good little guy to practice on for you. It has a good clean sound like you expect from them. It also has each channel broken down into 8 amp models and 8 effects which are seperated and blendable. The Reverb and Delay are really useable for me... but some of the other effects like vibratone, flanger and chorus are just for fun... Still, with the right pre-amp, I don't think it would limit me at all.
  I do not have any pedals yet, Alex. Where would you start? Maybe a Boost/Drive like a Carl Martin? Or, Does the "Plexi-Tone" give you more? I am convinced that this 100 Watt Solid State can really benefit from one of those. It could really 'wake up my sound'...
  "...I got my first real six string...bought it at the five and dime... played it till' my fingers bled... was the summer of 69'...":)
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/ … 3A_024.jpg
  I picked this one because it reminded me of Joe's Heritage Cherry Lester (except for the maple) - and fit, easy to play, clean sounds... it's a good starting spot for me. It truly is my first electric.

"All You have to do is write one true sentence..." E. Hemingway

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....

Used gear prices are dropping. A good clean 2555 Jub can be bought for under $1200. Lot's of old wood up for sale but nothing at a musicians price. Regardless, it's a buyers market right now.

Grab what you can while you can. I doubt it will bottom out or last much longer. But you never know....

15 (edited by Stratovari 2008-12-17 16:03:37)

Louis, i dont know how the basic sound of your amp is.
But with a tubescreamer you can't go wrong. Also I don't know how big your budget is
but I have several TS and one of them is the TS-7 of the tone-lok series.
They are very cheap and I can tell you with closed eyes I can't tell the difference to a TS-9.
The difference, if there is any at all, is that minimal that the extra buck is not justified. I really like that one. Yes it wakes up the sound indeed. On my Budda the TS is always on.
So your first guitar is that strat? Has nice grain. Its esh isn't it?
I like strats a lot. I have one from a german luthier called Thorndal. I sold my 2 Fender strats
as this one really sounds so much better. And I need just one. The best Fender Strat I had was a Jimmy Vaughan strat. In this price range its unbeaten.

Yes Spider, seems like lots of people need cash and have to sell much stuff which is good for buyers now. My Jubilee was 1100 euro (around $1500) which is still much money but considering
the outstanding mint condition and the fact that they are hard to find makes it a bargain.

Alex

(edit=typo)

www.u2-experience.de

Alex

Wow (again) that really seems a good price!!! I guess it never went near ebay - I saw a 2553 50W Jubilee head go for £1100 in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago - too expensive for me to bring into the UK as it would be an import to the EU with duty and VAT to pay.

I'm looking out for the 50W head - yeah I know Joe's comments, but 100W is just too much for me . Looking at the schematics the preamp on the 50w and 100W look identical to me. The difference must either be in the interface between pre and power amp or in the transformers, probably the output one.

I spoke to Marshall a couple of weeks about a service for my Jub Combo and asked if there were any plans for a re-issue. The lady agreed it would be a good idea but didn't think it was likely to happen soon or even at all.

Pete

Hi Pete,

there are two of that kind on german ebay now.
The Slash Top: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … 0294938896

and a another black/gold Jubilee head.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … 0294938896

They are both 100 watt but you can switch them down to 50 watts.
I have a Valvetech Hayseed 30 which is a AC-30 clone and this beats is soo loud
that you will note no difference between 100w or 30w... big_smile

A reissue would be fine. But then they should stick with the specs
and hopefully no china RI. Its like with the Vox AC-30. I didn't like the
china AC (which has nothing to do with chinese people) but the UK Korg RI
imho is one of the best sounding AC-30 RIs I ever heard.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

you guys are stealing these amps btw.. 1100 euros..  my god is that cheap.. hook a homeboy up YO!!!
joe B