Topic: TS-808 problems

hey everyone, on my board i use an 808, really awsesome pedal. for a while it was benched, and recently i put it back in.  anyway, i'm getting one really bad squeal, from it, but more so when i have the level turned up. when i adjust the knobs it has lots of static too, but only when you actually turn the know. as soon as you let go it goes away.  i dont know anything about the inside of these things. to any pedal guru's out there, would this be something as simple as maybe just like dust or something inside it? if so, what do i use to clean it.  This pedal is one of the OLD vintage 808's, gift from my dad many many moons ago. so whatever i do i dont want to screw it up.  before i jump into anything, i'd kinda like to find out the do's and dont's when messing with these things.   any help at all is much appreciated

Re: TS-808 problems

does it do that with the battery in or with a power adapter or both?  If your using a power adapter from, say, Radio Shack, then you are getting 60 cycle hum introduced.  Also, is your power supply powering other effects?  If your using a power adapter, what brand?

Hopefully someone didn't plug it into a adapter running more juice than these can handle.  I've seen that a million times. 

Also, has it ever been out in the rain or dropped in water that you know of?

The static when turning the knobs could be caused by large amounts of dirt in the pots and that's easy to fix.  Just replace the pots which cost a few bucks. 

Sorry for all the questions, it just helps me get a better idea of the problem.  Any chance you could send me a few DETAILED photos of the guts so I can get a look?  Could be something as simple as a component or wire coming out of PCB-and that's pretty common if someone has opened the casing up and moved the PCB around a bit.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Good advice. Just one more thing to ad. The old 808's had a pretty tight board placement because of the large footswitch. I've only fixed about 4 or 5 of them but a couple of problems were caused by faulty in/output jacks which can cause the noise you mentioned and also by the bottom of the board making contact with metal parts of the case.
There should be a peice of plastic or other insulating material between the case and traces of the circuit board so make sure it's still there.
Those are easy fixes, as is the pot cleaning once you get at them. A tiny bit of Deoxit sprayed in there from the back while twirling the knob back and forth should do it, assuming that's the problem. That squeal you mentioned doesn't sound like a pot though.
You didn't mention whether the noise is a crackling type or a noise like  buzzing.

hey guys thanks for the feedback. its definately a crackly squeal. i dont use a battery, i have a voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus. and it powers 8 pedals altogether. i'm afraid to do much major dis assembly to it, lol. afrad i'll mess it up worse i guess.  it's probably beed dropped on the floor a few times in its life, not since i've had it though, lol.  if it did come down to having to replace a pot, do the new ones sound EXACTLY like the old ones?  sounds like the simplest thing to attempt is spray that deoxit stuff in there and see what that does. it is dirty on the outside, which makes me suspect its that way on inside too. anything else i can add just let me know.

The Maxon boards are not the best of quality so you should at least take off the back and look at the PCB for cracks or something else that stands out.  Try the Deoxit trick on the pots and jacks just to eliminate that possibility.   

Pots are merely adjustable resisters.  For this application, one of the same value will not change the sound of the pedal.

Id suggest.... putting the original in a box for safe keeping.. use a reissue , they are great and cheap..  Nobody will know the difference if u take a chain and screw driver to the outside... Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Id suggest.... putting the original in a box for safe keeping.. use a reissue , they are great and cheap..  Nobody will know the difference if u take a chain and screw driver to the outside... Joe B

Joe how did you know that's how I worked..lol
Actually I've repaired the original Ibanez 808 of someone you know, twice. He's pretty hard on pedals. I keep old original parts on hand just for pedals like that.

Radiographer, if you do decide to replace any of the pots in your original Ibanez 808 look for alpha pots. They're really sturdy, have a good smooth sweep and are reliable.
That being said, based on what you say I'd take it to a good tech. It's worth quite a few dollars, both in sound quality and value and it's very easy to damage those pedals if you don't know your way around circuits. It's probably a relatively simple fix and inexpensive repair and it shouldn't sound any different whatsoever if it's done right. If a reliable tech does it, it'll be done right and you'll have your pedal back sounding the way it should.
As I mentioned before, pots can crackle but shouldn't cause any squeal unless they're shorting or another part has drifted out of spec. or has broken/shorted altogether.

I've found the Maxon 808 reissues to sound better than the Ibanez reissues but that's just me. The Ibanez ones sound a little different, maybe not quite as smooth but they still sound very good. It depends on your ear.
I have to agree with Joe, in that it may be a good idea to fix yours, then put it away and use a reissue for every day playing.

8 (edited by Beerdog80 2008-12-18 15:01:03)

Ditto on what Joe said.  I would NEVER tour/gig with that.  Some jerk with sticky fingers will relieve you of it quick. 

Did you look at the PCB or try the Deoxit yet ?

i havent gotten my hands on any deoxit yet. i'd like to try that since there isnt much to it, just to see if it helps. thanks for the input joe. ive never tried the reissues, i may end up getting one., hopefully it sounds just like the original i have, or atleast close.  how to the 808 reissues sound compared to the ts-9's?

radiographer wrote:

i havent gotten my hands on any deoxit yet. i'd like to try that since there isnt much to it, just to see if it helps. thanks for the input joe. ive never tried the reissues, i may end up getting one., hopefully it sounds just like the original i have, or atleast close.  how to the 808 reissues sound compared to the ts-9's?

The only thing different about them are the PCB board. Maxon no longer makes the boards for Ibanez so they make their own (or whoever they contract to put their name on it does)

Otherwise, they sound identical to the original.  I had the chance to A/B the pair a few months back and I could not tell any tonal difference. 

The TS-9 and 808 are nearly identical anyways, the TS-9's just have different component values in a few spots for more gain and increased bass response (to my ears).  Thats about it.  You can change a TS9 to 808 specs easily for about a $1 in parts and a lot less than buying the 808. 

Just my .02 smile

now that final exams are over, i've had more time to mess with it. the only time it gets staticy or squeals is then i move the level knob. tomorrow i'm going after some of that spray stuff.  if i end up with a bad level pot, can i change it out without affecting the tone it creates? not knowing much about pedal components, is there a certain brand or spec i would need to get for a good match?

radiographer wrote:

now that final exams are over, i've had more time to mess with it. the only time it gets staticy or squeals is then i move the level knob. tomorrow i'm going after some of that spray stuff.  if i end up with a bad level pot, can i change it out without affecting the tone it creates? not knowing much about pedal components, is there a certain brand or spec i would need to get for a good match?

Now that really sounds like a bad pot.   It happens.  As long as the value of the pot does not change, the tone will not be affected.  It's just an adjustable resister.

should there be some sort of stamp on it telling its value? or is that something i would have to call ibanez and figure out?

thanks for all the wonderful help guys

14 (edited by Slidewinder 2008-12-20 11:49:22)

If you have a multi meter you have to take the off the wires on the pot, after marking the wires carefully so you know which lug they re-attach to. Don't forget to mark them.
Then turn the pot all the way to the right(clockwise) and with your meter take an OHM reading on both outside lugs of the pot. That will give you the pot's rating total ohm value.
If you want to see if the taper is still good then connect one lead to any outside lug and one to the middle lug and turn the shaft slowly from one end to the other, watch the meter to see of the numbers change smoothly without jumping or hitting dead spots where there's no reading at all. You can do this reading from the back without removing the pot, but don't hold the pot or touch the probes to your hand or the casing while you do it because that will give you a false reading. The tone pot's value in the original ts-808 and ts-9 should be 20K. I think the reissues use those values as well. The pot should read very close to 20K but if it's drifted a bit it might read as low as 18K which still wouldn't be a problem. The wipers inside those pots which controls the resistance as the shaft is turned is 1/32" or even less so it can wear and drift over time.
As far as actual sound, pots can affect tone somewhat. If you buy another I'd replace it with an "Alpha" pot. They're sturdy, have a smooth taper and will keep your pedal's tone perfectly intact. They're very easy to find as well. They also make pots for other companies so it's not hard to pick one up. As far as the pot value, yes, an Alpa pot has a stamp on it, either on the back where the alpha stamp is or when you look at the face of the pot(shaft side) you'll see a little white stamp on the brown plastic that says 20K at the top of the pot indicating it's rated value.

One more thing, when cleaning your pot use deoxit, not wd-40 or some other kind of oil based crap. The wipers in these pots, unless custom made like the RS carbon super pots, are silkscreened and can be dissolved or gummed up with flat spots if using the wrong type of contact cleaner.
wd-40 is great for door hinges and squeaky car parts but don't use it on electrical components. I've had to re-clean number of pedals and amps when the owners sprayed that stuff in because a friend told them it works.
When spraying the deoxit into the opening on the back(side) of the pot where the lugs are just spray a tiny bit in quickly and then turn the pot back and forth a number of times. That should clean and lubricate it properly. Too much and you'll have small lake of cleaner in there that will take way too long to dry and will attract more dirt.

Your pedal has diodes and transistors that can be sensitive to shock and from what you describe it sounds a bit like a faulty diode but it could be the pot.
Good luck with it.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make it as easy to follow as possible.

Just gonna get my foot in on this thread...

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

16 (edited by Beerdog80 2008-12-20 19:21:15)

The pot in your 808 now is a 20KG which is apparently not made anymore or insanely hard to find.   Current reissues and clones use a 25K Linear pot or this 20K.  Just use the drag down menu to select the one marked '20K W'.  Exact same thing...will NOT change the sound. 

Alpha 16mm Pot

For about about 5 bucks in parts and shipping, your all fixed up.  I would try the Deoxit first.  No point in replacing something that could just be dirty.  Like Sidewinder said, DON'T use WD-40 on this kind of application.  That's just dumb. smile