1 (edited by JBSRV 2008-12-18 17:54:14)

Topic: Guitar on Tea For One

Maybe this has already been asked but I couldn't find it in "Search" so here goes...

What guitar was used on Tea For One? I was discussing this on a youtube vid with another guy and I thought I'd try to get an answer here if anyone knows. I think it has an LP sound but the other guy brought up a good point... the tone does sound kind of like Robin Trower so it could be a strat. I don't know though.

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

2 (edited by ModTourMan 2008-12-18 21:48:18)

Re: Guitar on Tea For One

That's one of my favorite tones from Joe B....I think Joe used a Tele for the intro only and a Les Paul the rest of the way.  I happen to love the Les Paul/Univibe thing myself though I must say it's tough to get a decent sound with a Vibe pedal.  I use my Les Paul through an analog delay (stereo outs) to a rotating speaker cabinet (set on a real slow spin) to get the swirl/throb/chorus thing going.  I have never gigged with this combination however.

Russ B.

it was my 59 cherry reissue with real Pafs (now its  retired).  Through a silver jubilee and a 1970 marshall super lead.  the chorus sound was a old TC- chorus that happened to do the weird univibe thing.. strange cause I havent heard one do it before or since.. reverb and delay of course.. EV speakers and my first attempt at the oversized marshall cabinet.. Alessandro made them..  they kinda didnt last very long.  but sounded good while they did. 
joe B.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

it was my 59 cherry reissue with real Pafs (now its  retired). 
joe B.

Why did you retire the R9?  That guitar had some massive tone!  smile

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

it had played hundreds of shows.. It deserves to spend a few years in a state of rest.. It may come back out one day with some new frets.. I m weird about refretting things..Id rather just get a new guitar.. LOL
Joe Bonamassa

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

it had played hundreds of shows.. It deserves to spend a few years in a state of rest.. It may come back out one day with some new frets.. I m weird about refretting things..Id rather just get a new guitar.. LOL
Joe Bonamassa

That is the best reason I have ever heard!

I always get a new car when the ash trey is full :-)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

it was my 59 cherry reissue with real Pafs (now its  retired).  Through a silver jubilee and a 1970 marshall super lead.  the chorus sound was a old TC- chorus that happened to do the weird univibe thing.. strange cause I havent heard one do it before or since.. reverb and delay of course.. EV speakers and my first attempt at the oversized marshall cabinet.. Alessandro made them..  they kinda didnt last very long.  but sounded good while they did. 
joe B.

Thanks Joe!!!! I guess that solves it!

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

ABout refretting...Joe, man I agree with you.  They are never the same after a refret.  Maybe it's because you've gotten used to them being bad and the fact that it took hundreds of shows to get them there that when they are new..it just doesn't feel the same.

I refretted my '92 PRS a few years ago and the guy who did them hacked the guitar up pretty good.  No damage so to speak but when it came back the strings were like an inch off the fret board...each string a different height to compensate for a really bad job.  I had him redo it three times only to a pay another guy $175 to fix the first guys errors.  That was 10 years ago and I haven't done anything to the frets...I'm scared!

DannyG wrote:

ABout refretting...Joe, man I agree with you.  They are never the same after a refret.  Maybe it's because you've gotten used to them being bad and the fact that it took hundreds of shows to get them there that when they are new..it just doesn't feel the same.

I refretted my '92 PRS a few years ago and the guy who did them hacked the guitar up pretty good.  No damage so to speak but when it came back the strings were like an inch off the fret board...each string a different height to compensate for a really bad job.  I had him redo it three times only to a pay another guy $175 to fix the first guys errors.  That was 10 years ago and I haven't done anything to the frets...I'm scared!

sounds like the guy was a hack!   I had my 72 Tele redone last year and when I got it back, it played better than it ever had.  This thing was basically slide only.  It was like playing a fretless guitar  smile

I don't see a reason to be afraid of refrets...I was going through my copy of BOTB yesterday and you see a good number of vintage Pauls with the back of the neck all worn off and stuff, and you can bet they didn't get that way on their original frets alone.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Yeah I do a lot of refretting and levelling.

Most manufacurers have gone to the modern high thick chunky frets which a lot of my "old school" customers don't like.

I've even had bets taken that old cheepo's once given to me for a fret job will play better than (wont mention names here) expensive non copies.

I haven't lost a bet yet lol.

Blues is the spice of life, Live it, Love it, Feel it, Play it.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe Bonamassa

Jeez I hope you put those PAF's to good use in something else then. Like your Rossington.

Spider wrote:

Jeez I hope you put those PAF's to good use in something else then. Like your Rossington.

No kidding man, that thing is a beaut and those PAF's should not go to waste...

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

graeme312 wrote:

Yeah I do a lot of refretting and levelling.

Most manufacurers have gone to the modern high thick chunky frets which a lot of my "old school" customers don't like.

I've even had bets taken that old cheepo's once given to me for a fret job will play better than (wont mention names here) expensive non copies.

I haven't lost a bet yet lol.

True.  I've got another Tele with a serial that puts it as made in japan or something I got as a beater/test guitar and after I re-fretted that one and changed out the electronics, it plays and sounds like a dream.