Topic: I'm Looking for a practice amp.

Greetings and happy Holidays.  I'm kind of in a bind right now as my kids are young and wake up easy.  Does anybody have suggestions for a good sounding practice amp that is relativly cheap and lowwer volumed then this Epiphone Valve Jr. I'm playing right now?  I'm looking for maybe 2 channels and solid state most likely.  I'd love for it to be loud enough to play out somewhere but have a better sound at practice volumes without me having to cover the speaker up with a blanket or something.   Thanks.

Re: I'm Looking for a practice amp.

Hi,

I would suggest you one of VoxValvetronix Series.
If you play out then maybe the AD-60? They are great sounding amps with decent effects
onboard. For bigger gigs I would stick with the tube amps but for home practise and small gigs they are perfect.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I have a vox ad30vt and love it. It has a master volume and a power soak to keep the volume at respectable levels. I also have a vox da5 battery powered amp that I love to take outside on the deck and to work and play.

If you can find a Palomino V16 you'd have a great practice amp that's plenty loud enough for small gigs....only one channel and the reverb is lame but it's a Class A tube amp and it sounds great with just a guitar and chord.

you can hear how warm these amps sound on this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQSjlM5ZXdw

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

I like the older (80's) marshall solid state single twelve amps.. they have fet gain.. similar to the type of front end Dumbles use.. they are great and can be had for like 200 dollars
Joe

Joe I agree with you here 100% I used one like that live with Jimmy Hall in Daytona back in 86, it sounded great with the original Celestion speaker and you can find them in pawn shops for as little as $129.00 They are very dependable and will create many classic sounds as heard on many blues and rock albums. Sincerely, Big B (RnB Relic Guitars/ Music Guild Vintage Music Store Danbury

Joe B or BigSmiles...do you know the model name/number of the 80's SS Marshall that you guys are talking about?

Fender Blues Jr. maybe?  Any small 1x12 tube combo under 30 watts would probably fit your bill nicely.  I have a Hiwatt Bulldog 30 that is a great sounding amp with two channels and a half power switch. Good cleans, and tons of volume if you needed to gig with it. Got mine for 400 buckeroos used. Good luck!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

DannyG wrote:

Joe B or BigSmiles...do you know the model name/number of the 80's SS Marshall that you guys are talking about?

I don't know this for sure, but I think they may be talking about the Marshall 3005 and 5005 series of amps from the mid 80s to the early 90s. The 5005 is a combo amp, whereas the 3005 is a mini-stack amp. You can sometimes find these amps on eBay...I actually just purchased a 5005 combo on eBay for $130! It should be here any day, so I'm looking forward to cranking it up.

Hi, I have a old 80's Marshall amp that is mentioned here, Its a 12 W Mini stack and a rare Silver Jubilee version, I never use it.. It just is a cool looking amp, Head and 2 x 10" Cabs..  Looking to sell if anyone is intrested ?
Regards
Ben

BIGBSMILES wrote:

Joe I agree with you here 100% I used one like that live with Jimmy Hall in Daytona back in 86

Excuse me?

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan