Topic: Poor Man's Joe Bonamassa Rig

Hello fellow Joe fans, I figured I would explain my ghetto Joe Bonamassa rig for those chasing that sound on a budget. I run two amps through a stereo 4x12 cabinet, two distortion/overdrive pedals, a trem pedal, a leslie pedal, a reverb, a delay pedal, a tuner, and one amp switcher.  I feel that I can approximate most of Joe's tones from Blues Deluxe-LFNIP with this rig.

AMPS:
Marshall DSL100 JCM2000- substitutes for Joe's Silver Jubilee 100w. Great low end (deep switch on) and plenty of highs. I run it on lead one of the ultra gain channel.  Very overlooked amps with an amazing clean channel and an IMHO dynamite distortion channel.  You can actually get great crunch at low volumes and sounds better as you crank it. Great FX loop. You can pick these up for less than a grand now.

Ceriatone Overtone HRM 100w-substitutes for Joe's Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature or Van Weelden Twinkleland.  For you guys chasing the Dumble thing on a budget do yourself a favor and check one of these out. Of course go with the Joe approved 100watter! Super thick singing overdrive with a very clear and present upper mid/highs that is not harsh.  Just enough for that "chirpy" sound that the amps are famous for.  The clean channel embarasses any Fender I have ever owned and that includes vintage bassmans or twin reverbs etc.  Stock from Ceriatone + shipping about $1500.

Effects: Delay/Leslie in the Marshall FX loop, Reverb in Ceriatone

For my booster pedals I use opposite styled pedals, one with thick mids and the other with nice bass/treble. Simply a TS808 reissue for the mid-hump smooth gain boost and a Fulltone OCD for the BIG volume increased lead sound that doesn't color the base tone too much. Adds just a little high end sparkle.
Planet waves tuner, Boss TR-2 tremolo (actually very good, no volume drop on mine), Boss RT-20 rotary pedal (slow setting for the Tea for One sound, fast for Had to Cry Today/Blues Deluxe stuff), EH Holy Grail (good pedal, about to be replaced by a Fuchs Verbrator), stock Boss DD-6 or DD-3 all knobs at noon...and finally my Voodoo Lab Amp Selector. It has the built in ground lifts that removes ALL hums from my rig and makes it silent PLUS gives me any possible amp swiching configuration. Great!!!

Finally...The CAB!
Its a crappy Fender Showman cab...but has good speakers, 4 75watt Celestion speakers that are the same as stock Marshall 1960 cabs. Aggressive midrange with tight bass.  Hoping to upgrade soon or build my own, but really is a decent cab...got it for like 250 bucks!

Sorry for the lengthy post, I don't post much but I have been helped by many of the fine people on this forum and figured I might return the favor!  Happy New Year to all!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Re: Poor Man's Joe Bonamassa Rig

I have a really good Poor Mans Bonamassa Rig.

I run into a Dunlop Wah, Splitter  tuner/ or rest of rig, to a Boss Channel switcher,  A is a Barber Burn unit set low.  Channel B is a Ocean EFX Texas Deuce set to hell fire and brimstone.  Then I run it that directly into a delay. For now its a Boss DD6 but hopefully soon it will be a Ocean EFX Vintage Echo.  Jut waiting for its arrival.

Then I split that signal and run into a Twin and an AC30.  Both set on clean.  I like a little more twin then AC30. 

This set up gives me three channels with one click. Clean, light drive, lead drive. And again all I have to do is click the boss channel switcher to activate which sound I want.

Very simple,  Pretty Cheap compared to Joe's.  Makes a telecaster and a 58 les paul reissue sound amazing.

Guys, I read about poormans setup????
Are you trying to be modest or is there no poverty around you..;)

Twin, AC-30, Ceriatone, DSL 100... These all are stunning amps.
Really good stuff. If someones comes up with a cheapo 15 watt transistor amp
and epi LP then I would agree the low budget setup. Even this stuff is pretty
cool nowadays to have a decent start into the guitar world.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I think the truth is you wont get a cheap Joe setup, Personally I dont try to copy it I run either a champ XD or my blues deluxe and make the best with what I can out of them..

When Joe was in Florida last year, he got very close to his boutique tone with 2 rented DSL100s. No Jubilee, 2 rock,Vanweelden,or carol ann...same Joe sound.

Stratovari wrote:

Guys, I read about poormans setup????
Are you trying to be modest or is there no poverty around you..;)

Twin, AC-30, Ceriatone, DSL 100... These all are stunning amps.
Really good stuff. If someones comes up with a cheapo 15 watt transistor amp
and epi LP then I would agree the low budget setup. Even this stuff is pretty
cool nowadays to have a decent start into the guitar world.

Alex

I'v got less than a G in a used 4x10 DeVille and Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab. Add a Keeley DS-1 Ultra, Whirlwind AB, Cry Baby, DD-3, Voodoo Lab Trem, TU-2, and Boosta Grande, and you're in for less than 2Gs and it really sounds good. Does it sound like Joe's rig? of course not, but for the money, very flexible, and I use it in church with a shield and it sings at lower volumes.

I'm just sayin',
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

I love these types of threads.  I wouldn't exactly call anyone of those "poormans".  Everyone has some pretty quality gear here.  Anyway, here is my set up that took a lot of time, money, and help from Joe and you guys.  It goes like this:  Guitar into vox wah --> TS808 --> voodoo lab amp selector (couldn't agree more stratpaulguy86)  ----> Mesa Lonestar head (JJ el34's instead of the 6l6's) and a dd-3 in loop (always on amp), 3 variables are Top Hat Emplexador with a Keeler Designs Push OD(not Keeley) in front of this amp only for just a serious gain boost (no volume tone change) when required, a Fuchs ODS 50, and a really early version of a Two Rock CRS (#36).  All speakers are EV's in 2x12 cabs.  For x-mas my dad  (fuzzy wuzzy here on the forum) and I(helped a little lol) made 2 large plexi shields and 1 small(for a single amp if need be) and our own isolation pads - he's a carpenter by trade so we just looked them up to see what they were made out of and he had pretty much everything we needed at our disposal.  They were pretty easy to make, just takes a lot of your time.  I also got a korg pitchbalck tuner for x-mas and I have to say its super easy to read with its huge, bright LED's and its affordable as well and works outstandingly well.  I tried a whole bunch of different cables and I found the Mogami's to be the best as they last and you can use them in long runs.  It sounds more complicated then it is lol.

Anyway - thats my setup and as I did steal Joe's idea (Thanks for being so cool and telling us), I don't sound like him nor do I want too ( I want my own definable sound, so I sound like me and only me and thats what I want, but I wear my influences proudly), but I will say this with crazy set ups like these you can get almost any type of tone you want and I am now a firm believer in the multi amp setup.

I hope to post a video soon ( I don't know how I'm going to record it and make it sound like it should as I like to play at concert volume lol and don't have a pro video/recording setup) and pics.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the super long post lol.

Happy New Year to all,
Ben

PS - The main piece of equiptment is...... EarPlugs for the rest of the family haha J/K, but I wear them and as should everyone this stuff can get louder then you think quickly smile .

HI GUYS

OK MY RIG  LESPAUL / STRAT INTO-IBANEZ TS9(DONT USE MUCH), CARLMARTIN HOT DRIVE.N.B(ONLY USE BOOST SIDE) MARSHALL 2553 SILVER JUBILEE SMALL HEAD 50W (DD3IN LOOP) AND MATCHING 2X12 LOADED WITH EVM12L AND EMINENCE GOVERNOR. SIGNAL RUNS FROM JUBILEE  INTO FENDER HOTROD  DELUXUE (SET TO CLEAN WITH REVERB) THIS GIVES ME A VERY FLEXIBLE SET UP THAT IS BIG SOUNDING AND COMPACT.
I ALSO HAVE A MARSHALL TSL 2X12 WITH G12H AND CELESTION V12 WHICH I USE FOR BIGGER GIGS (IT HAS TONS OF BOTTOM END FOR A 2X12.)
SOMETIMES I INSERT AN SGX 2000 MULTIEFFECTS INTO THE EQUATION FOR WIDER RANGE OF SOUNDS.
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR SOME AUDIO/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR RIGS

HAPPY NEW YEAR   D.

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

I like the idea of clips.
I try to make a small video clip soon and upload it to youtube or so.
It would be very interesting to hear how you guys setup your stuff.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

10 (edited by ken 2009-01-02 18:37:10)

larryt wrote:

I'v got less than a G in a used 4x10 DeVille and Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab. Add a Keeley DS-1 Ultra, Whirlwind AB, Cry Baby, DD-3, Voodoo Lab Trem, TU-2, and Boosta Grande, and you're in for less than 2Gs and it really sounds good. Does it sound like Joe's rig? of course not, but for the money, very flexible, and I use it in church with a shield and it sings at lower volumes.

I'm just sayin',
Larry

Now that's a great poor man's JB rig! I used to have a fender ultrachorus amp (SS 120watt 2x12 with chorus) that had a great clean sound. I may have to look one up on ebay and pair it with my Budda superdrive45. They're going for about 150 to 200 now.....
Did you get a poor man's plexi shield too (homemade)?

thats way cool Yo!!  Its still a bit pricey..  heres mine

all under 500 dollars. 
marshall  2505 30 watt mini head (tube) same loop as the jubilee
Sovetek Mig 50 ( superlead replacement)
1970 fender bandmaster (with tubecreamer plug in always on)
1970 fender Bassman ( with boss digital reverb always on)

Cabs.. Carvin.. 100 british spec speakers
Joe Bonamassa....

On a side note here is my current home/office  low volume rig.

2008 Van Weelden Twinkleland 100 (the new red one..awesome) with a THD 8 ohm soak,
1961 Gibson RVT 79 stereo and with a Chandler Tuber driver,
1965 Fender Princeton reverb with THD soak
1987 Marshall silver Jubilee 1X12 combo..

You should note that all amps are run at very low volumes so I can watch Law and Order on TNT and play at the same time..
Its fun to mess around with different stuff.. very cool thread!!!

I bet that would make for a very good sound track!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

You should note that all amps are run at very low volumes so I can watch Law and Order on TNT and play at the same time..
Its fun to mess around with different stuff.. very cool thread!!!

In retrospect I guess I didn't realize that it was that much money...I know there are those on this forum who have some REALLY nice stuff.  Everything with the exception of the Ceriatone is readily available and easy to get.  Pretty fair priced too...maybe I should have named the post "Joe Bonamassa Rig For under 10 grand".  I guess the key is to be careful and do your research on gear avoiding the impulse buys and slowly aquire some nice stuff. Some of the rigs especially TGP regulars give me nightmares.  Then again, Joe could play a Squire Mini Strat through a Behringer amp and make it sound like a $40,OOO Dumble.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

ken wrote:

When Joe was in Florida last year, he got very close to his boutique tone with 2 rented DSL100s. No Jubilee, 2 rock,Vanweelden,or carol ann...same Joe sound.

That's the key! Joe can almost use whatever he wants. He will still sound great like he does now.
His sound is not always good in general just because of his valuable equipment. He must admit that he also gets an unsatisfying sound here and there.

I actually would advice him to use totally different gear from time to time. A good player will adapt his playing to the equipment and still sound good. But he will play different lines and styles. That's what could make it very interesting for the player and the listeners.

Ok then so then here is my stuff. I bought most of the stuff used
so I didn't spent a fortune.

Budda Superdrive 30 head (1st series)
Marshall SJ 2555 head
2x12 cab (with EV12L for the Marshall and a G12H30 for the Budda)
An Intellifex for rev/delay and a bunch of pedals...

For homepractice I have since more than 10 years a small 10watt
transistor amp with a treble booster in front. Like it a lot. smile

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Marshall MG series 15 Watts and a vitage Fender Bassman 100 watts (tubs)

Drum mashine : Yamaha RX_5     witch i dont Know how to Program ...only use the standards

Pedalbord Zoom : GFX-8 (still learning to setup this beasty thing too)
Guitars:
vintage strat USA 1976
Strat USA 1994
Yamaha (Accoustic F-370)
George Washburn (half Accoustic)

Geko

ken wrote:
larryt wrote:

I'm just sayin',
Larry

Now that's a great poor man's JB rig! I used to have a fender ultrachorus amp (SS 120watt 2x12 with chorus) that had a great clean sound. I may have to look one up on ebay and pair it with my Budda superdrive45. They're going for about 150 to 200 now.....
Did you get a poor man's plexi shield too (homemade)?

No, I (the church) actually sprang for a Clearsonic shield, only about $150 or so.

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

By Poor mans Bonamassa rig I think we meant our rig is nothing compared to 4 3000 dollar heads. My Vox AC30 and Fender twin are great amps... But they are no where near as expensive as a Two Rock.  Let alone the Jubilee, Carol Ann, Van Weeden, or Cat 5. So that said Its still a poor boys bonamassa rig.

If I had money... I'd buy a JMI AC30, and a Carr Rambler.  That is my dream combination.
5000 dollars.