1 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-01-02 14:02:44)

Topic: Should I zip-strip the paint off this vintage amp?

Hello all,

My dad inherited an old '54-'57 Silvertone 1331 amp. It has about 4 different colors of paint over it. The bottom, however is original (no paint).  The most recent paint is a blonde color with this sandy texture in the paint.

here is a link to what it the original looks like: alligator sides and tweed middle!
http://www.silvertoneworld.net/amplifie … /1331.html

Specs:
Preamp: 6SJ7
Power: 6V6GT
Rectifier: 6X5GT

two intrument inputs
no standby, no "on" light
one volume one tone
8" speaker

Amps says "30Watt input" - but the reviews say it is an 8 watt amp.

Should I take some zip strip and get it back to original? I was also thinking of re-tubbing it and putting a new speaker in it (if necessary).

let me know your thoughts!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

2 (edited by Beerdog80 2009-01-03 04:22:10)

Re: Should I zip-strip the paint off this vintage amp?

That's really subjective on you.  Sounds like the value of it is already diminished greatly by the painting done to it over the years so it wouldn't hurt to get it back to original condition. 

If you do change the speaker, keep the origional one around for value sake in case you decide to sell it.  Most vintage hounds seem to love stuff that is all original. 

With the age and condition you described, it might be a good time to get the caps replaced  and everything checked out by a good amp tech.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Good point.  I'm just hoping the zip strip won't hurt the tweed.

I've used it on guitar cases and amp cabinets. I used to have this old blonde Fender Bassman cabinet 2x12 that was painted black. Zipstrip took it right off. But with all the cigarette burns, etc. I had to repaint blonde over it!

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

well, you can buy new tolex and tweed in just about every color you can think of so getting it back to its origioinal specs won't be hard to do if you damage something with the zipstrip. 

Personally, if it was mine and in really bad looking shape, I would re-do it all.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Na... I wouldnt strip the pain.. Id cover it in a very cool new tolex..  make it candy apple red, or fawn, or like the Reverend Billy G go Louis V!!   Im a fan of makeover amps and guitars.. once the paint went on it the collector value RAN away from the amp.. so you have nothing to lose.. Be creative and make it the coolest Sears and Robouck around!!  Good Luck!
Joe B

6 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-01-08 10:03:16)

Since I DO have nothing to lose, I'm just going to try the zip strip. i tested it inside the amp (that was painted too) and it wored pretty decent. I started doing the top of the amp, and it got through a couple coats - but it was so cold outside I don't think the zipstrip was able to bite in the paint enough. If it turns into a trainwreck - I'll definitely be recovering it.

Candy Apple Red?????

I'm thinking tweed tolex with oxblood grille
or
a hand-carved texture (like the Gigliotti guitar case) for the tolex - I've seen that somewhere in my browsing.

WOW! Tolex is cheap! $15 on ebay would do it. I wonder how difficult this is going to be. Maybe I'll get some furniture restoration people on the phone.

On the restoration front, I must note that the masonite fiber board the speaker is connected to was cut for another speaker, and there's not much left of it. There was also supposed to be piece of the same material to cover the back of the amp. SO, I went to HomeDeport and they cut me up two PERFECTly sized boards to drop in. All I have to do now is cut the hole for the speaker.

I would repaint/recover/re-tweed/rewire/re tube  & recone if necessary...that's fun of it!
Nothing like a cool project especially in winter.....good luck on whatever you do!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

8 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-01-17 16:02:27)

UPDATE:

I got it all apart. The speaker was BARELY on. I got a new piece of masonite and got my 7" hole in it Just have to attach the speaker now. Since I have the guts out, and just the cab, I'm going to try zip strip. If it doesn't do the job, I already got it apart. I'll just cover it in tweed.  The grille cloth is off because it was pretty loose. And for some reason it looks like it had been painted copper or gold on the side facing out. So I'll probably flip it around so the untainted size is facing out.

When plugged in, it sounds ok! Even the speaker half loose. The volume and tone crackle a bit when turning knobs.