Topic: Tailpiece down and topwrap or traditional way?

Hi there guitarplaying JB fans,

I've got a question for you les paul players...

Recently i bought a new lp classic antique and i wanted to give it a setup and i'm having trouble with the tailpiece height and the strings leaning against the Nashville bridge side.

JB does it different and lowers tailpiece full down and wraps his strings over the tailpiece for better sustain and playabilety.

How is your answer on this...

Historic have other angles and go with the normal way i've heard/read (some do some don't)

Thanks alot.

Raf

Re: Tailpiece down and topwrap or traditional way?

As far as I know the various angles on the various models of Les Paul don't differ, but I've been top wrapping for years if that means anything.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

I think there are slight variances on the tops depending on the dish and if its a Monday or Friday guitar.. I found the wrap around thing to work well with all Les Pauls and some 335 and 345s but not all.  Its really a system to allow you to use heavier strings without feeling like your playing telephone cables.. It also prevents the ABR1 from sagging in the middle overtime..  I stole the idea from Billy Gibbons and Jimmy Page.. I dont know who did it first.. I guess if you asked them both they would both take credit..  LOL..  It takes nothing to try and if you dont like it you can easily put it back.. but I would crank down the stud to body.. big difference in tone there YO!!!
good luck and congrats on being in the club of descriminating Les Paul Men..
Joe Bonamassa

Here is a great but cheap improvement kit for your Les Paul.

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=15

I use it on one of my Tokai Les Pauls. Just read the instructions. Better sustain and adjustable height of the tailpiece.

Or for those of us that don't want to bother with the euro  smile

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ … sku=306143

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Here's my take.

I saw Slash had his tailpiece tight the body first time I saw him play. I found out that my Les Paul had a Nashville bridge, and I needed and ABR-1 to do it. So for a while I had my tailpiece cranked without a top wrap. I still go back and forth. I see Duane Allman topwrapped as well. It really does make strings easier to bend, so I like it, although I do not do it to all of my guitars.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I top wrap my 58 reissue and it makes a huge difference in how easy it is to bend 11's.  I dont know if there is a tone difference.  But it feels like I am using 10's.

I top wrap as well and I had problems with my ABR1 vibrating.  I tried removing the retaining wire for the screw on the saddles but that wasn't the problem.  SO I totally don't suggest doing this but it worked in my case.  I took a quick drying glue by loctite and locked my screws and saddles in place after I got the intonation correct.  It eliminated my buzzing problem but every now and then I find depending on the season It will go slightly out of tune, and I can't fix it because I've locked them in place.  Its not that noticable but if I do play chords below say fret 12 I can tell.  Also if you decide to go back to the old way with the non wrap you'll notice the strings left indentions on the tail piece a it looks bad when you try to sale it.

Thanks everybody,

I'm going to give it a shot.

Whats your opinion on the original tailpiece that has to much space between the middle of the studs?

It seems to lean up a bit due to much space?

The lockingsystem of tonepros seems to be good for accurate setups (without falling of and having the same string-and tailpieceheight) but is there also tonedifference?

Some familiar with this? joe doesn't use it but Warren Hayes and slash does and also the new standard lp line.

Rafke182 wrote:

Thanks everybody,

I'm going to give it a shot.

Whats your opinion on the original tailpiece that has to much space between the middle of the studs?

It seems to lean up a bit due to much space?

The lockingsystem of tonepros seems to be good for accurate setups (without falling of and having the same string-and tailpieceheight) but is there also tonedifference?

Some familiar with this? joe doesn't use it but Warren Hayes and slash does and also the new standard lp line.

Tone Pros = the best.  I extremely recomend them.  It makes the guitar totally solid feeling as everything is locked up.  It also doesn't pull down in the bridge when top wrapping.  Then what I did change is the tail piece b/c the original grooved out and got all burred up so I put on the Gotoh featherweight one.  It's meant for top wrapping by the way it is designed - the part of the string on the non-wound strings where it is twisted near the ball is where the string bends over making it less likely to break strings there.  Hope that helps.

Ben

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:

Then what I did change is the tail piece b/c the original grooved out and got all burred up so I put on the Gotoh featherweight one.  It's meant for top wrapping by the way it is designed - the part of the string on the non-wound strings where it is twisted near the ball is where the string bends over making it less likely to break strings there.  Hope that helps.
Ben

post a link?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta … piece.html

After thinking about what I posted I knew this question would come up lol.  The back part of it is more rounded as opposed to square.  I think it was Musicinmysoul who uses one as well.  I haven't done it to all my guitars, but I plan on it.

Ben

Hi,

I have the tonepros on my '58 LP too. Very solid feeling now.
I cannot confirm a difference in sound but top wrapping feels mor e confident
with them.

For the guys who need links, if you google "tonepros" you'll get 132.000 results in 0,27sec.
And first in the list is - tadaa! - http://www.tonepros.com/

wink
Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

wich tonepros bridge and tailpiece on their site fits directly on my 2008 classic antique?

Here's alink where i would like to buy them so i know it's the right one :-)

Thanks all.

http://www.thomann.de/be/search_dir.htm … w=tonepros

If you buy the set buy the one with a Nashville Bridge and you cant go wrong.  If you just buy the Tail Piece then it should work with either bridge as I think thats just an generic Gibson part.  My advice is if your going to change one thing you might as well do them both while your at it to get the best out of the system.  Or go cheap and drill and tap holes in your current stuff and put set screws in them thats basically all there is to it.  They might have tighter tolerances as well.   Buy the set and save on a doctors visit from trying to diy!

Rafke182 wrote:

wich tonepros bridge and tailpiece on their site fits directly on my 2008 classic antique?

Thanks all.

I would contact your supplier and ask them, or better yet, if its an option I would have a reputable guitar tech both purchase it and install it for you.

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Rafke182 wrote:

Thanks all.

To find which one you need, all you have to do is measure the the posts from center to center.  This will give you the correct spacing.  Then assuming this is a Gibson, you would need TP studs with US threads on them, not metric.  I took a really quick look at your site and they give measurements in metric ( can't help there as I'm from across the pond lol).  If you have a good tech he can order them for you and put it on.  Its prob. better that way as the saddles have to be slottedso for him to do it in one shot when the parts come in would be much easier.  Who knows, the are becoming pretty popular so he may carry them on hand already.  Hope it makes some sense lol.  Its a lot easier to explain in person, along with a visual.

Ben

Again, If you currently have a Nashville Brige buy the kit with the Nashville brige.  If you have an ABR-1 bridge buy the ABR-1 kit.  If you don't know the differences the ABR-1 has post that are made of all Thread that thread straight into the body.  A Nashville Bridge has inserts in the body and then adjustment screws that thread into the inserts.  Also ABR-1 has a retainer wire and Nashvilles Dont.  Tone Pros on Gibson Guitars are direct replacements so if you know what you got you don't need to measure anything.