Topic: Pedals please ... ?

Hello guitarfreaks,

I need your help again to pimp my "PoorGirl´s rig" .... I´m going to buy a new amp (probably something Marshall under 500) within the next months (provided I don´t have to spend money on concert-tours until May ) and thought I might need some pedals too. I have NO idea about all that technical stuff, but I´m sure someone might be able to help me out here...

I need something basic that doesn´t cost too much money ...

Thanks, Eva

Re: Pedals please ... ?

Hi Eva,

for the start I suggest you a Tubescreamer.
The Ibanez TS-7 (I think 40 euros new) is very cheap but very good.
I have 4 different TS and they sound more or less identical.
Your Epi will rock with the Marshall!!! wink

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Hi Eva. I agree.  A TS808 or TS9 is the staple to start with.  There are several modded types out there that all sound good.  Analog Man, Keeley etc.  Full tone makes a good pedal for about a $179.  Corby's stuff at OceanEFX (oceanefx.com) is awesome.

A Boss Digital Delay is nice to have.  After that it's all icing on the cake.

Try to get an amp with a good clean channel.  INMO that's more important than a great lead channel.  Pedals can help make an average lead channel sound better....there's nothing to help an inadequate clean channel.

Good luck.  Where's the tour?

Don't forget to get a good wah.

Get a decent ish amp first eva see what you can get out of it then decide whats needed / desirable no point buying lots of stuff you prob wont use. A good guess is a Wah and some type of Over Drive like everyone else has said..

My gut instinct always tells me to steer clear of Marshalls that arnt tube... A Fender Blues jnr is a cool amp for cheap tho (specially used ones) Fender XD Champ has a pretty good marshall esque voice. Epiphone valve jnrs are pretty good too... just my 2 cents smile I'll post a clip of the Fender XD's marshall sound this week if I get chance...

As for pedals I dont have a terrible lot of experience in dif types because I rarely use them.... Boss DD3 is a cool delay, I use a fulltone 69 for that hendrix'ish fuzz sound, my Dunlop wah seemed like a good buy when I was beginning and its lasted a long time with some heavy use and its always in my rig regardless of what amp / where I am so I cant complain its a good cheap wah smile.. Ive seen alot of peeps using a Boss OD pedal which didnt sound too bad.

Hi Eva,

Your definitely showing early signs of developing GAS :-) and this forum is a great meeting place to encourage and ensure it's steady progress.

Seriously though I totally agree with John... get the amp first and use that as your foundation stone and then build layers on that with effects. As an example some Marshall Valve amps don't include a reverb so if you get one of those I would advise you bought a Boss Reverb pedal or my personal favourite (at the moment :-) ) is the T-Rex Room Mate as a priority over a Tube Screamer or Digital Delay (Echo).

I love buying effects but it's very easy to end up with a €500 amp and €1000 of effects within a couple of years, I've done it!!! But if I started out with €1500 I'd spent at least €1000 on the amp and limit the spend on effects. Joe's pedal board has reduced dramatically over the last few years.

Pete

The important thing is this. What type of music do you play? If its blues then a tube screamer is a must like many here have stated. For me Boss DD-7 Digital Delay pedal is as crucial as any other pedal!! As matter of fact, If I could only have one pedal it would be that delay pedal. Eva, go to the gear page: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/
You will find all your answers there. I have learned alot it just one week there! A great amp that is affordable is the Fender Hot Rod deville. Again, it all depends on what you want to play.

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Eva,
I recommend a good low watt tube amp,  An older, but well maintained silverface Fender Champ ('70'era) would be affordable and under your $500.00 budget.  The tone from a real tube amp is very rewarding and inspires you to play (in my opinion).  I don't think you will find a tube Marshall amp in that price range.  Then pick up a tube screamer type pedal (as mentioned in this thread) and you will have a very versatile set up that allows you to go from sweet-to-grind quite easily.  There are also many Marshall-type pedals if you want that particular tone.  other nice pedals for this set up are the EH Holy Grail reverb and/or an analog delay pedal.  Good luck to you!

Russ B.

I'll back the previous posts about getting a good amp.  A thousand dollar, handmade by Bob in the woods OD won't matter if your amp isn't worth two cents to begin with.   

Stick with finding an amp thats suits your needs first, then worry about pedals.  Most folks use pedals to accent their sound, not to make it.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

The Digitech Bad Monkey gets raves and it's only $50.

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

11 (edited by radiographer 2009-01-06 02:01:32)

if youre looking for a marshall type sounding amp, but want one for a little less.....look into a ceriatone amp. I'm good friends with a local STL musician, he just bought the overtone special, it is a phenominal sounding amp at 50 watts....i'm looking into the 18 watt plexi copy right now.  you can hear sound clips of just about any amp made if you search on you tube.  as far as pedals goes.... i agree with the above statments about the 808's.  i have an original 808 i use ( it is cured btw, thanks to you guys that told me some things to try to fix it ) i would trade that 808 for all the tea in china.  full tone makes some really great stuff as well, some of it can get a little salty though...      good luck !!

Brian

** sorry guys, it's late and my typing sucks...   I  WOULD NOT trade that 808 for all the tea in china  ** LOL  sorry about that!!!

Hello Eva!!
I second the montion on the Digitech Bad Monkey.. a very very good pedal..
Other pedals and amps.. is a amp that starts with F and say hot rod deluxe,
Vox AC 15 new one's are ok, Orange Tiny Terror is the best for me though..
A tubescreamer is the old standard and is what I use along with a fuzzface(very specialty item) and a Carb/Gas Pedal.  Good luck on your search.. Why didnt you raid my spare stash when you were hanging out with us in Germany? Tons of stuff in there!!!  LOl!!
Joe B

Hi Eva

When you have an idea of the amp you want why not go into town to all the music shops and see what they can do. Shops are keen to sell in this finacial climate and they will be hapy to  negotiate price. I bought a Marshall MG 30.  In Liverpool all the music stores are on one road, the guy in the shop said "What are the other shops selling it at " and then he beat the price i saved £40

Happy hunting

Stevie Boy

Btw, your Flying V would have been worth
a raid that night but it was standing right behind your chair when
we sat together. Next time more wine. wink lol

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Thanks a lot everyone, that gives me an idea about what to search for ... the amp is another question. I know that I won´t get a tube marshall for under 500, so it´s probably better to check out a few of those you mentioned before I just buy a Marshall because it´s a Marshall. wink
I wish I could stuff you all into a bag and take you to the guitar store with me ... thanks so much for your advice!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Good luck on your search.. Why didnt you raid my spare stash when you were hanging out with us in Germany? Tons of stuff in there!!!  LOl!!
Joe B

Oh well .... lol

Eva,
Keep your eye on ebay auctions. You can find a lot of small pedalboards w/ pedals. You can also find decent combo amps for under $500-600. I've found some good stuff and good deals there. You just need to look and look and look and have a little luck.

Good Luck in the never ending search for the ever elusive holy grail. Tone!

Spider

17 (edited by JohnTB 2009-01-06 09:41:27)

eva wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone, that gives me an idea about what to search for ... the amp is another question. I know that I won´t get a tube marshall for under 500, so it´s probably better to check out a few of those you mentioned before I just buy a Marshall because it´s a Marshall. wink
I wish I could stuff you all into a bag and take you to the guitar store with me ... thanks so much for your advice!

And that is exactly the problem atm imo :x

Remember dont go too big an amp unles you want to gig etc and even then 40w should be ample, I rarely play my Fender Blues deluxe (40watt) because its so damn loud even when its turned right down... If I had a choice now I'd get a little 18w head and a cab... Also Eva look out for http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.htm … k=&bn= them I've heard they are killer amps for the price...

Good luck im sure you will have fun trying stuff out smile

JohnTB wrote:

Remember dont go too big an amp unles you want to gig etc and even then 40w should be ample, I rarely play my Fender Blues deluxe (40watt) because its so damn loud even when its turned right down... If I had a choice now I'd get a little 18w head and a cab... Also Eva look out for http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.htm … k=&bn= them I've heard they are killer amps for the price...

Good luck im sure you will have fun trying stuff out smile

That's true. I had a 5150 half stack, and a Rivera Knucklehead both 100 watts. Even my Rivera 55watt 1x12 combo is too loud. I think its always better to have a lower wattage amp and mic it if necessary. Not as heavy to carry too!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool