Topic: TONE TUBBY.

Hi, Iam thinking of buying a alnico tone tubby to upgrade my amp. Is there any body on the forum with experience of these speakers. any comments would be more than welcome. Mark.

Re: TONE TUBBY.

Hi,

what kind of amp is it?
In general they are great. But imho more for the lower wattage amps
like Vox AC-30, Dr.Z, Bluesbreaker etc.
For higher watt amps like the 100w tops they have no stable bass.
Just my opinion...

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Hi, I am thinking of putting a tone tubby in my Cornford carrera. It has a celestion vintage 30 at present fitted as standard. The Cornford is rated at 8 watts and is a fine handwired amp. But i think it would benefit from a upgrade. Is the tone tubby alnico the holy grail of guitar amp speakers ? Mark.

If you replace the V30 with it you WILL have a huge improvement.
Cornfords are great amps.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

5 (edited by gsj 2009-01-08 17:22:43)

I hope I don't get anyone in trouble for posting this (especially me wink )......

Quite a few years ago, when I was managing a London guitar store, Dennis Cornell (I've mentioned before that he's a friend and a nice bloke - hope he doesn't read this) came in to see us. We were Cornell Amp dealers and he'd brought us the brand new Custom 80 combo as used by Eric Clapton. He asked our opinion of it and I thought I'd be honest and told him it was to prevalent in the mid frequency's. We by-passed the combo's speakers and ran the chassis through another cab, loaded with Vintage 30's. The whole thing came to life!!!! I looked at Dennis, he looked at me, he shook his head and said "It's those Tone Tubby speakers. I said to Lee (Erics tech) that they have too much middle but that's what Eric likes. Sounds better without them."

So, Tone Tubby's?......Tone Mufflers wink But that's only the opnion of two people, what do I know??

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

6 (edited by Spider 2009-01-08 17:21:56)

Didn't Joe once say that hemp cone was hippy slang for junk?

If you don't want the Vintage 30 speaker I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

Or is it slang for gear?

Spider wrote:

Didn't Joe once say that hemp cone was hippy slang for junk?

If you don't want the Vintage 30 speaker I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

I would go with a Greenback Celestion.. Tone Tubbys are too scooped in the mids.. Plus the Greenback is cheaper and will give you more mids
Joe B

9 (edited by gsj 2009-01-08 17:50:35)

Well that's pretty interesting Joe. A different take on what both Dennis Cornell and I heard. I reckon there's too much mid in the Tubby's and wondered if it because of the hemp cones. I wouldn't say they're scooped, quite the opposite, but hey, my ears are old now wink

Geoff

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I would go with a Greenback Celestion.. Tone Tubbys are too scooped in the mids.. Plus the Greenback is cheaper and will give you more mids
Joe B

Don't you think that Eric wants the mids because he's def now and you feel the mids rather then just hear them.  I read in his book that after Cream he was almost totally deaf in one year and lost half his hearing in the other.  Besides that mids fattens up a strat.

gsj wrote:

I hope I don't get anyone in trouble for posting this (especially me wink )......

Quite a few years ago, when I was managing a London guitar store, Dennis Cornell (I've mentioned before that he's a friend and a nice bloke - hope he doesn't read this) came in to see us. We were Cornell Amp dealers and he'd brought us the brand new Custom 80 combo as used by Eric Clapton. He asked our opinion of it and I thought I'd be honest and told him it was to prevalent in the mid frequency's. We by-passed the combo's speakers and ran the chassis through another cab, loaded with Vintage 30's. The whole thing came to life!!!! I looked at Dennis, he looked at me, he shook his head and said "It's those Tone Tubby speakers. I said to Lee (Erics tech) that they have too much middle but that's what Eric likes. Sounds better without them."

So, Tone Tubby's?......Tone Mufflers wink But that's only the opnion of two people, what do I know??

Geoff

Absolutely. As you know, his Strat has a mid boost circuit too. Mid life crisis??? wink

AD3THREE wrote:

Don't you think that Eric wants the mids because he's def now and you feel the mids rather then just hear them.  I read in his book that after Cream he was almost totally deaf in one year and lost half his hearing in the other.  Besides that mids fattens up a strat.

gsj wrote:

Geoff

Warren Haynes uses Tone Tubby Cabinets and his tone is far from lacking anything.  Just a thought...

Look guys, if your playing a Les Paul with a 100 watts thru a 2by4-12 tone tubby cabs without pedals your gonna sound great, Joe likes EV's clear uncolored big bottom but uses pedals. Anything below 60 watts with 2 tone tubbys 1 alnico/1ceramic your gonna sound good, and it depends on what kind of amp, if its Vox then great tone with a tele and 2 tone tubby alnicos, if its fender then 1 alnico and 1 ceramic, if its Marshall Celestion is the only way to go say hellatones V30's already broken in, if its Matchless I like the celestions V30 but also have tried them with TTalnicos and its all mid but I like that voxy tone for 2 amps since JB got me thinkin a short while ago. Vibroking and Matchless at same time WOW!!!!! thru TC reverb live it filled the room at the club 3 piece band like no other rig I've used. But JB I am going to try and find a 15 EV and try your recomendation! in the VK DrZ amps sound great with TT Alnicos , Mesas well V30 sounds good in my buddys, but I got him to try aTTCeramic and it blew him away. Thats alll for now Bye!

Again...  Derek Trucks uses Tone tubby speakers in his Super.  Warren Haynes uses tone tubby cabinets (unsure whats in them) under a 100 watt soldano and a 100 watt cesar diaz.
They are great speakers in a variety of different situations.

Neither of them are lacking in the tone department.

Joe likes what he likes.  Les Pauls, Marshalls, and EV speakers.  That works for him. That doesnt mean other speakers are crap.  I think it depends on how you play and what you want from a speaker.

I heard that Derek uses Pyle car speakers in his Super. You can get clones through Lord Valve.

CT.

I like Pictures...

http://www.tonetubby.com/pg.html

Tone Tubby's have their place and if you like the tone no problem. Obviously a number of players do.
I tried them in 4 different amps and had no luck. Just couldn't use the tone even though I really wanted to like them based on everything I'd heard.
I broke them in properly for a week with a filament transformer so I know that wasn't an issue.
In one amp I tried I couldn't get a tone I liked and was told tone tubby's were the answer.
Tried them, not even close, sold the amp and the speakers.

A good speaker and made in good old Kentucky USA , Eminence Private Jacks, come real close to the Celestion Greenbacks and are great for speaker breakup at lower wattage. Try crossing with a Celestion G12H30, the undoped version of hellatones.  THe combination give you a little more definition, very punchy but great mids and highs that sing with overdriven tones.