Topic: Gibson Bridges.

I have a few Gibsons with the ABR-1 Bridge, none with a Nashville Bridge.  I've also noticed that all my Gibsons that I have if I go to a store they have the Nashville Bridge now.  Its like all Gibson USA has Nashville on it.  Even the Les Paul Classic which makes no since because its a guitar modeled after the 1960's and the Nashville Bridge came out in the 70's.  Is it better or something?  If so what would be the advantages?

Re: Gibson Bridges.

First define "Nashville Bridge" I have actually never heard of that term... could be my lesson for the day!!! Im stoked!
JB

A Nashville Bridge is the bridges found on most Gibsons that aren't custom shop models/RI models.  The don't have a retaining wire like the ABR-1 does b/c the saddle screws are drilled through the bridge instead of a notch with the wire holding them in.  I've have both on different guitars, but I never did a comparison.  I know that personally I do like the Nashville better, IDK why though lol.

Ben

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

First define "Nashville Bridge" I have actually never heard of that term... could be my lesson for the day!!! Im stoked!
JB

Ahahha God a little too used to the R9's and JB Signatures are ya Joe??

Nashville:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p … 369575.jpg

ABR-1:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p … 369579.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but the Nashville is much bigger. I've heard it described as a 2x4 with strings on it. ABR-1's are more historically correct and are thought to let the guitar resonate better.

To quote member BillyBling from the Les Paul Forum:

BillyBling;1775721 wrote:

Metal - Metal - Wood = Nashville

Metal - Wood = ABR-1

Which would have better resonance (wood resonance)?????????

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

I always heard that the Nashville bridge was designed to have more travel in the bridge saddles.  You can really tell it's one by the fact that ABR-1 bridges have posts made of all thead, and then a thumb screw to adjust the bridge.  The Nashville bridge has metal inserts glued into the body and the post screw into it.  The Thumb screws are replaced with posts with the thumb screws built into it.  The posts are much larger as well.  I never cared for them myself but I was wondering why Gibson is making all their standards with the Nashville bridge now.  My  old 2001 standard SG was an ABR-1 but now thats changed as well as my Les Paul Classic.  BTW my mouth dropped when I read Joe had never heard of a Nashville bridge.

6 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2009-01-11 14:02:34)

AD3THREE wrote:

I always heard that the Nashville bridge was designed to have more travel in the bridge saddles.  You can really tell it's one by the fact that ABR-1 bridges have posts made of all thread, and then a thumb screw to adjust the bridge.  The Nashville bridge has metal inserts glued into the body and the post screw into it.  The Thumb screws are replaced with posts with the thumb screws built into it.  The posts are much larger as well.  I never cared for them myself but I was wondering why Gibson is making all their standards with the Nashville bridge now.  My  old 2001 standard SG was an ABR-1 but now thats changed as well as my Les Paul Classic.  BTW my mouth dropped when I read Joe had never heard of a Nashville bridge.

God knows why Gibson does the things they do...As soon as I get about $400 together though I'm gonna spring for a Pigtail historically correct ABR-1. It's cool because it doesn't have the retainer wire, really high quality stuff. Unfortunately it's $200 for the bridge, $40 to have the bushings yanked (Let me explain, I've got an ABR-1 on my Standard that I drilled out to fit on the Nashville posts), dowels put in, and bridge installed, and $120 for a set up after that. A pretty expensive mod that is definitely NOT in my budget right now.

And yeah, I was shocked Joe didn't know what a Nashville was tongue

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

That just tells me ABR-1 is going to stay on my stuff because if a guitar hero like Joe doesn't know what something is then there is more then likely a reason.  I think I'm going to go with TonePros for my Classic.  I just sold the SG for money reasons sad

AD3THREE wrote:

That just tells me ABR-1 is going to stay on my stuff because if a guitar hero like Joe doesn't know what something is then there is more then likely a reason.  I think I'm going to go with TonePros for my Classic.  I just sold the SG for money reasons sad

Sorry to hear that man, selling a beloved guitar because of the shitty economy doesn't seem right.

That and I've got 2 kids already and a 3rd on the way.  I suppose its for a good cause, but yeah it still suck to sale any of your stuff.

AD3THREE wrote:

That and I've got 2 kids already and a 3rd on the way.  I suppose its for a good cause, but yeah it still suck to sale any of your stuff.

Can't say I've ever been in that situation...I'm 17 here. Although my mom IS pregnant with twins...that's close I guess.

11 (edited by Spider 2009-01-11 15:57:36)

AD3THREE wrote:

It tells me Joe is human like us and doesn't act as though he knows all. Or he's being the teacher and letting the pupils help themselves to the answer. There is a method to his madness?!!

LOL wink

Musicinmysoul wrote:
AD3THREE wrote:

Can't say I've ever been in that situation...I'm 17 here. Although my mom IS pregnant with twins...that's close I guess.

Do I hear banjo's playing in the background??????

13 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2009-01-11 16:37:14)

Spider wrote:

Do I hear banjo's playing in the background??????

Ahaha that is wrong on some many horribly incestuous levels...but just to clarify, my FATHER (yes, my original married-my-mom-and-had-me father) and my MOTHER are going through a second round a kids.

Jerk tongue

Spider wrote:

It tells me Joe is human like us and doesn't act as though he knows all. Or he's being the teacher and letting the pupils help themselves to the answer. There is a method to his madness?!!

LOL wink

Haha how does Joe telling us he doesn't know what a Nashville is lead us to "the answer"?

On a second thought....am I somehow not aware that I'm paying Joe for some sort of edumacation?

I'm sure thats going to be tough on so many levels for you and your parents, but its nothing compared to having your own in the another sense.  Its stress on so many levels that you can't imagine until you have to go through it.  My advice to anybody is don't have kids back to back to back.  I'm going on to have 3 kids under 3 for about 2 months.  I don't  even have my first kid potty trainned yet.  So do yourselves a favor and be smart about anything you do before you get in over your head.  Now enough about real life back to guitars.

Musicinmysoul wrote:
AD3THREE wrote:

AD3THREE wrote:

Now enough about real life back to guitars.

Words to live your life by..

Both my '79 Explorer and '73 Les Paul Custom came with Nashville bridges. I put an ABR-1 on my LP. The Nashville on the Explorer is fine though. I don't see exactly what the big deal is.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I'm not saying one is better then the other I was just wondering what everybody else thought.  I had one on a cheap Les Paul Special DC and it worked fine.