Topic: Black Pickup Rings and Pick Guard

Just wondering if any other people have run into this problem.
I'm trying to get black rings and pickguard for my 57 heritage because I really like the look of the black on gold but all I can find on the Gibson site are the cream ones for the heritage models.
I've compared the studio and custom black guards and rings and they don't match up in size with the ones on my heritage but I don't see a listing for heritage guard and rings in black.
Rather than try to paint a set of cream rings and guard I was wondering whether anyone has ever ordered the JB set that comes on the JB model. I know it must match my heritage's specs but I don't know if Gibson sells them as a separate item.
Has anyone ever ordered them?

Re: Black Pickup Rings and Pick Guard

I've replaced pickup rings in the past, but not Gibson brand pickup rings. Usually the case goes like this. They have to be custom fitted to your guitar for pickup height, so get two tall ones, and cut the short one down. Plus, the holes on the new ones rarely line up to the old ones, forcing you to plug the holes and redrill. Not very fun on a valuable instrument.

I hope someone else can chime in that has had better experience. wink

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I just checked All Parts website.  They sell them in cream for the historic model.  I'd contact them.  They might be able to order them for you.

Ben

Thanks guys. I thought about getting two tall rings from Gibson but after checking they're still not as tall as the bridge p/u ring that's on my historic.
If I cut the Gibson reissue guard to fit the space between the p/u's the end will protrude too far.
I think I have to use proper historic parts for the proper fit.
Maybe my only option is to get the historic parts in cream and then painting them.

What does taller rings do it?  Its not like you cant get the pu's close enough to the strings if you have lower rings.  What good is taller?  I'd just go with Standard Gibson rings if they fit.

AD3THREE wrote:

What does taller rings do it?  Its not like you cant get the pu's close enough to the strings if you have lower rings.  What good is taller?  I'd just go with Standard Gibson rings if they fit.

The historics come in a different sizeand are specifically made for the historic lines.  The taller vs shorter depends on the top of the guitar.  Its what fits better more or less.  And the "Standard" Gibson ring either comes in tall or short.  Usually you put the short in the neck and the tall in the bridge.

Ben

Yea, the historic parts are a little different in size and I'd like the parts to fit properly.
The gibson rings are considerably smaller than the historic rings and the pickguard won't fit at all.
I'm looking at some other options if I can't get the parts but I'm told some other manufacturers might have the right size in black.
It's probably easier getting the rings than the pickguard.
I may wind up having to get the cream parts and dye or paint them.

I've heard about others getting good results from using vinyl dye on plastic so since I love to experiment I'm going to give that a shot and see how it goes.
If I screw it up completely I can always go back to cream.

I got my M-69's and pickguard for the bigsby guitar project at a place in Kentucky called RS-guitar works.. they are good guys..
Joe B

Thanks for the tip Joe. I got my super pots from RS and checked the site for black rings and guard but wasn't able to find them, just cream.
I guess I might have been looking in the wrong place. I'll contact them tomorrow and see if they can help.
There's just something about a black guard and rings on gold..

Was that guitar in the Rockplaza DVD before a Bigsby tail piece was installed?

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I got my M-69's and pickguard for the bigsby guitar project at a place in Kentucky called RS-guitar works.. they are good guys..
Joe B

Hey, thanks again Joe. I talked to someone at RS today. They're shipping the aged pickguard. They had the aged p/u rings as well but they wanted what I considered crazy money for them. I realize they're the right material and all but I don't want them that badly.
I found another manufacturer that has the right size rings for about 1/10 of the cost so I'll try those.
I'm glad I don't have to mess with sand paper and dye, and then polishing compound, etc...

I remember you using the bigsby at the rose in brampton but I never noticed the pickguard or rings.
Nice flame though.