Re: Joe's Gear & Amps - overview

Yeah it's a lot of Dd3. Is it always on open position or sometimes off in Joe's setup? I bought a use Dd3 yesterday for 80$ and personally I don't find it amazing. Except for one thing. When all button at 12 o'clock an using the L.800ms mode it's very beautiful using it when playing as a "Violin-feel-like" with the volume button, Joe do that thing very often. But I did not find other amazing combination. I try again all 12 o'clock position but on the S.50ms mode. It don't makes the sound really warmer but do an ambiance (maybe the sound a little bit larger I would say) . So....I don't think this combination is enough beautiful to keep that always on. If you have advice on other way of using it tell me.

I don't believe in psychology....I believe in good move - Robert James (Bobby) Fischer

Chandler Tube Driver huh?  That's very interesting... as loud (and gainy) as you (and I) already run our amps, it's been my experience that tube amps already overdriving don't respond well to tube-based overdrives... all the ones I've tried get over-compressed, mushy, and lose all articulation. My formula has always been:

Getting ALL gain from a pedal? Tube overdrive.

Getting most of your gain from the amp, then "adding just a little more"? Solid-State Overdrive.

BTW, this is my 1st post. Want to say thanks for all the awesome music, and woodshed inspiration!

ruger9 wrote:

it's been my experience that tube amps already overdriving don't respond well to tube-based overdrives...

+1
I once tried the Seymour Duncan SFX03 Twin Tube Classic with my Ceriatone Bluesbreaker and it sounded like a chainsaw. Absolutely ghastly. Back to Fulldrive-2 and for some extra boost a TS9.

After going thru many, many overdrives, I have settled on 2: the FD2 & a Timmy. And I MIGHT replace the FD2 with another Timmy, still thinking about that one...

francis0181 wrote:

Yeah it's a lot of Dd3. Is it always on open position or sometimes off in Joe's setup? I bought a use Dd3 yesterday for 80$ and personally I don't find it amazing. Except for one thing. When all button at 12 o'clock an using the L.800ms mode it's very beautiful using it when playing as a "Violin-feel-like" with the volume button, Joe do that thing very often. But I did not find other amazing combination. I try again all 12 o'clock position but on the S.50ms mode. It don't makes the sound really warmer but do an ambiance (maybe the sound a little bit larger I would say) . So....I don't think this combination is enough beautiful to keep that always on. If you have advice on other way of using it tell me.

I don't know with what equipment u use the DD-3, but Joe has a very big and complicated - and expensive roll - combination of great amps etc.

Do you use it in front of your amp(s) or in a effect loop?

If I'd use my DD-20 through a roland cube it will also not sound that great...

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

JBJHJM wrote:
francis0181 wrote:

I don't know with what equipment u use the DD-3, but Joe has a very big and complicated - and expensive roll - combination of great amps etc.

I use the Dd3 in front of a Rivera fandango 2x12 combo, not in effect loop

I don't believe in psychology....I believe in good move - Robert James (Bobby) Fischer

francis0181 wrote:
JBJHJM wrote:
francis0181 wrote:

I use the Dd3 in front of a Rivera fandango 2x12 combo, not in effect loop

Joe has always recommended using the dd3 in the effects loop. Riveras have excellent effects loops, and it will take the harshness out of the digital delay. He also says he sets the dd3 with all the knobs at 12 oclock.

francis0181 wrote:

When all button at 12 o'clock an using the L.800ms mode it's very beautiful using it when playing as a "Violin-feel-like" with the volume button.

I tried that setting with a DD-7 and didn't get that. Quite distinct repeats. Is the DD-7 set up differently than a DD-3?
I realise I'll have to experiment with that pedal myself but if someone could recommend some settings I could get there quicker.

Bluesbreaker wrote:

Is the DD-7 set up differently than a DD-3?

Maybe. I aint sure but since the DD-7 is a model with many more functions, it could be different.

But for a nice, smooth & warm delay sound, you have to use the effect loop - if you don't it will sound a bit strange, and if you turn down your guitar's volume knob to play clean, the delay sound will disappear...

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236

ruger9 wrote:

Chandler Tube Driver huh?  That's very interesting... as loud (and gainy) as you (and I) already run our amps, it's been my experience that tube amps already overdriving don't respond well to tube-based overdrives... all the ones I've tried get over-compressed, mushy, and lose all articulation. My formula has always been:

Getting ALL gain from a pedal? Tube overdrive.

Getting most of your gain from the amp, then "adding just a little more"? Solid-State Overdrive.

BTW, this is my 1st post. Want to say thanks for all the awesome music, and woodshed inspiration!

Welcome to the forum!  I would have to disagree with the Tube Driver theory in that the most famous user of this type of pedal (Eric Johnson) uses it in front of a very distorted Marshall Plexi.  I think Joe must really be trying to nail that "Cliffs of Dover" sound because it literally is that sound in a box.  I use a 3 knob BK Butler Tube Driver in front of my very distorted Ceriatone Overtone HRM and Marshall DSL 100 with very good results (volume 1 o'clock, tone 10 o'clock, gain 9 o'clock).  The low end does get looser and the strings loose a little "twangy character".  I will say that you have to be very careful with the settings or it's a one way ticket to Mushville!  Here's a link to how EJ uses the Tube Driver (as well as the rest of the rig) gotta love that dirty rhythm tone... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document … %20Effects

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Bluesbreaker wrote:
francis0181 wrote:

When all button at 12 o'clock an using the L.800ms mode it's very beautiful using it when playing as a "Violin-feel-like" with the volume button.

I tried that setting with a DD-7 and didn't get that. Quite distinct repeats. Is the DD-7 set up differently than a DD-3?
I realise I'll have to experiment with that pedal myself but if someone could recommend some settings I could get there quicker.

I'm not familiar with the Dd7 but I can tell you that I tried the setting with and without the effect-loop and the 2 ways give me the "Violin-Feel". With effect loop is better of course. Try this maybe it will help you. It can be your "violin technique" too.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Effects chain.. all boss!! LOL
through the twinklelator.. Boss half rack chorus, dd3 delay, and rev 5
through the Carol ann .. TC-chorus. (ooops) dd3 delay and rev 5
through the jubilee  dd3 delay from the bloodline days..
through the bogner or cat 5 nothing.. a man has to pretend he's Paul Kossoff sometimes..
Pedal Board..
DD3 for Jubilee, TS-808 reissue, Chandler Tube Driver, Fulltone Tremelo, Jorge Tripps Copper Fuzzface,Liele abc, Whirlwind A/b or both, Voodoo labs pedal power 2 and Jorge Trips Custom limited (two only) JB Crybaby Wahs..

Ok, i may be reading this wrong, but Joe is going to be using two dd-3's (one in the twinkleator, and one into the jubilee) Would using a dd-6 give you the same end result?

Thanks
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Welcome to the forum!  I would have to disagree with the Tube Driver theory

It's not a theory, just my experiences.

I've tried the SIB Varidrive, the Vox Big Ben, and the OLD Ibanez Tube King (not the new red one), and even if I used a lower-gained tube in the Varidrive, like a 12AU7, it still mushed out.

I've always wanted to try one of the Butler Tube Drivers, but couldn't justify the cost, due partly to my experiences with tube-based ODs, and partly because I like my SS drives just fine. Can't deny tho- EJ sure makes it sound heavenly!

I love it, 

I love it when an artist changes his stuff to confuse his obssesed gear fans. I am willing to bet that the tube driver sound great... and the delays are all placed exactly where they are supposed to be for Joe's use.  I am going to give him that much credit.

I use a Ocean efx vintage echo as the last effect on my board before it goes to the amps and let me tell you Boss can eat my butt.  The Ocean Effect VE is the best echo I've ever heard. Sounds amazing.  I dont get picky about that kind of crap but let me tell you its worth the money.

That said....   Joe can you PLEASE use the Bogner in Hagertown, MD on the 26th of March.  I'd love to hear what it sounds like.  Nothing against CAT 5... Ive heard it plenty of times. They are great. 

-Peace and Chicken grease
Jeremy

Logo33 wrote:

Would using a dd-6 give you the same end result?

The DD-6 is only a newer version of the DD-3, it got many more functions ( which you dont need tongue )
So if you can find the same settings (all 12 o'clock will definitively sound different), I think, then it will give you the same result.

ruger9 wrote:
stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Welcome to the forum!  I would have to disagree with the Tube Driver theory

It's not a theory, just my experiences.

I've tried the SIB Varidrive, the Vox Big Ben, and the OLD Ibanez Tube King (not the new red one), and even if I used a lower-gained tube in the Varidrive, like a 12AU7, it still mushed out.

I've always wanted to try one of the Butler Tube Drivers, but couldn't justify the cost, due partly to my experiences with tube-based ODs, and partly because I like my SS drives just fine. Can't deny tho- EJ sure makes it sound heavenly!

Yeah man everyone's rig is different.  I have never used one of the newer $300+ Butler Tube Drivers, I just have one of the smaller 3 knob versions (got it on the Bay for like $140).  I really like it because I think the 4 knob ones are pretty bulky and I use very little EQ with it so having separate bass and treble controls is not an issue.  I find that you have to have a very specific amount of amp distortion and bass or you get very mushy with all tube overdrives/fuzzes.  I love the tones that people get with fuzzes but I can't personally use them in my setup...I can never get any definitiion or figure out the best place in the chain for it.  I like the tube OD's because they place nice with others and retain more definition.  I would recommend one of the BK Butler ones 3 or 4 knob, they are the bomb.  I have heard that the old Tube Kings were pretty close though...what kind of amps are you using?

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

...what kind of amps are you using?

I've been thru many amps in recent years, but have recently cleaned house and am playing a Genz Benz Black Pearl, which is an AC30 variant, the builder used Matchless & AC30 as his "guide." The twist with these amps is, besides having an EXTREMELY versatile EQ- the most wide-ranging EQ I've ever seen, they also have a "voicing" knob that revoices the preamp section to help acheive desired amp tones... Fender, Marshall, Vox... they're all in there.  It's also got a footswitchable extra tube gain stage if you want it (it's a 1 channel amp, the boost just adds onto the one channel, so you can't do a clean/dirty setup).  It's sort of an "all-tube modeling amp", if you will. But it's ALL TUBE- we aren't talking Valvetronix or Line6 or anything- no "computers" or DSP in this amp. It's nothing like a Cyber-anything. The signal path is 100% tube.

It'll never sound like a Twin, or a 2555, but believe it or not, it can get pretty darn close.  It's sort of a workhorse/versatility/jack of all trades amp, I just love the thing. Other amps I've been able to part with over the years, but this one os so versatile, I just can't let it go.

I sold everything because I decided to live with 1 amp for awhile & start experimenting with guitars. I'm a tele guy, and recently bought a Gretsch Setzer Hor Rod, and have a Epi LP STd. Plus in Amber on the way (thanks to listening to Joe... I've never wanted a LP before), I'm going to put Lollars or Burstbuckers in the Epi & keep it for awhile to see if I'm an "LP kind of guy".

54 (edited by stratpaulguy86 2009-03-02 00:32:41)

Thats some cool gear!  I notice that when I use my Strat through a tube OD it's harder to get low note definition (in your case you are a tele player) don't ask me why.  You would think it would be the other way around because humbuckers are "warmer"...Oh well sounds like you have plenty of other toys to keep you happy! smile