Topic: Speaker Talk

What do you have?

big_smile
Ok, here's why... My Rivera R55-112 (55watt 1x12" combo) has a celestion in it. It was "made for" the amp. It's a 12T 85 8ohm.

I've always dreamed about swapping it out with another speaker. And we might have had this conversation before. But I'm assuming that my speaker (from the name) is an 85 watt speaker. So if I put a Celestion Vintage 30 or a Greenback in there, the sound will be dramatically different?

The other thing is that Joe uses EV speakers. Now for a guy who likes the Marshall Jubilees and DOESN'T use Celestions, that's quite an endorsement. So what is it about EV speakers and which ones are "the best?"

I'm thinking that pickups and speakers are the guitar players garden of plenty, and much dollars can be wasted experimenting. I'd rather learn from other's experience.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: Speaker Talk

i think joe uses EV's mainly because they can take lots of abuse from his big amps.  i presonally think celestions are a great speaker.  if your someone like me that plays small local bars and clubs....then you dont need anything over 30 watts max. and in that case, dont have as much use for EV's.  my opinion is use a speaker that fits your amp better, and dont use an over powering amp for the places you play.  i played a bar last night that was pretty small, crowd was great though. i played through my 40 watt vibroverb and had the amp volume on 3....and i was plenty loud. but i guess i also use a FullDrive 2 overdrive pedal....

brian, IL

Ive been thinking of doing the same thing with my 2x12
I really want to try greenbacks. Currently 75 watt speakers in there. What, in terms of tone, would change with greenbacks?

I know more than one guitar player that has changed out their Celes or Emms for EVs and hated them!  The speakers in those Buddhas & Mesas etc are all voiced for the amp. 

The only exception is a guy I know who plays a Flying Vee through an old 100 W marshall and he's deaf and plays stadiums.  He likes them EVs.

But you have to try it yourself.  I'll be quiet now.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I use EVs and love them.  What goes in comes out.  I like clean, articulate sound so for me  the gain comes from the amps and thats it.  Some people like the speaker breakup.  I personally don't.  I will say that at all volumes the EV is great.  Zero speaker breakup.  Thats what they are known for.

Ben

It doesnt matter how many watts you use.. The Electro Voice 12L classic or Zakk Wylde really create a warmth that I dont find anywhere else.  Its a true sounding speaker.. What ever the amp is giving you the speaker will reproduce.  I highly recommend them.. If you dont want to use EV- a vintage Rola Celestion 65 will take you home.. If you have some bucks and want a original Fane, or greenback thats fine but not el-cheapo...  Good luck, listen and let your ears and the reaction from the amp tell the tail.. Dont buy into hype...  stay Coca cola and Pepsi..(Warren Buffet style) not Whole Foods brand.

Joe B

This is a great topic!
Just like radiographer I play small clubs and gigs and I've been wondering for quite some time now what I should pair my great MetroAmp JTM45 head with. It's an awesome amp and I want to get the best of it with a great cab and speaker. Right now it's working with a 1X15" cab loaded with a ceramic Weber that I used with my vintage Fender Bassman head, but I'm not satisfied with that so I'm asking you guys, and Joe of course:
Would a 1X12 be enough?
Would a 2X12 be better in terms of tone but too loud for the small venues I play at?
Would a 4X12 be sheer nonsense, and should be meant for large venues only?

Many people say that the more you have speakers inside the cab the louder it gets. Some say that it's not louder but that the sound spreads more and that it's simply better (and heavier). I don't know who to trust. All I know is that I use my JTM45 with my 1X15 and a fulldrive 2 at 6/10 and have to use a THD Hotplate at -8dB or it's already too loud for rehearsals... When I play in the clubs I use the same stuff but the THD goes at -4dB.
Whatever you say about the number of speakers inside the cab I will use EV's, I haven't decided yet on the Classics or Black Labels...

8 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-02-23 23:28:24)

twistingcrow wrote:

I've played lots of bar gigs with my combo speaker unplugged and used it "head style" into a Marshall 4x12 1960A cabinet. The four 12's really warmed up the sound. It wasn't any louder than the 1x12, but it filled the room nicer and just sounded more full. I'd really like to get a speaker for this combo that just makes it sound better.

I never get my 55watt combo more than on 2 or 3 on the Master vol. at the gigs I do.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
twistingcrow wrote:

I've played lots of bar gigs with my combo speaker unplugged and used it "head style" into a Marshall 4x12 1960A cabinet. The four 12's really warmed up the sound. It wasn't any louder than the 1x12, but it filled the room nicer and just sounded more full. I'd really like to get a speaker for this combo that just makes it sound better.

I never get my 55watt combo more than on 2 or 3 on the Master vol. at the gigs I do.

I tried an EVM12L Classic in my Budda Superdrive 45 (45watt KT66). I never really got to crank it loud, but at low volumes, I wasn't crazy about it. It sounded good clean, but the distortion was very sterile (to me) at the lower volumes I was playing at. That's just me, you might love it through your amp...
I'm getting ready to put it out on Ebay. I purchased it used from Tonequest. They tested it in a 4x12 and then sold it once they were done with the review, so it's basically brand new. I paid $140 for it so I'll sell it for that. They're about $200 new. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

ken wrote:

I paid $140 for it so I'll sell it for that. They're about $200 new. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

Dont wait for me Ken. I'll probably wait and get a speaker this summer or perhaps this fall. It's not an emergency situation right now. It'll probably take me that long just to find a speaker I want anyway.

11 (edited by radiographer 2009-02-24 08:46:50)

ok while were on this topic, i need to clear the air real quick....   i currently play through a vibroverb only....  i'm just about ready to purchase a ceriatone 2061x 20 watt head to run with my fender.  i'm going to use a 4 10 cab with it so later if i want to i can split it and run 2 heads.  anyway,  the EV's....  does anyone in here know what the sound difference would be if i put EV 10 L's in it or put celestions in it?  i always thought that if you ran a lower wattage speaker, it would help get a good overdriven tone quicker ( mainly to keep the volume managable in a small bar).  if i put the EV's in it will i still be able to get a good warm overdriven tone and  managable volume where i wont get tossed out on my @$%.  lol.  just need to clear that up while were on the subject....

incase your wondering,  i was thinking 4 10 instead of 4 12 so the cab can be smaller....and maybe a little easier to transport around by myself.  any real tone difference between a 10" and 12"   ?????

I've been looking at the Celetsion Vintage 30, but the website' "tone selector" isn't as much help as I though it'd be.

13 (edited by SOFTMC 2009-03-17 23:56:40)

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

I've been looking at the Celetsion Vintage 30, but the website' "tone selector" isn't as much help as I though it'd be.

the best way is to just buy the speaker(USED IF POSSIBLE) try it out ,if you dont like then sell it
you will always get your money back . unfortunately every amp sounds different through different
speakers. I tried 5 for my jubilee. celestion v30 ,g12H30,Celestiongreenback ,ev12m ,emminence patriot.
for closeback 2x12, settled on ev12m and emminence ,for open back 2x12 g12h30 and v30
I like the green backs syrupy sound but think they shine best  in a 4x12 IMO that most boutique
amp makers are fitting v12 as standard for combos . so I would start with v30 .good luck!!

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

Thinkin' about the EVs for my F*nder twin (4x12) to keep the break up down.  Anyone  know what EJ uses in his? Another cab I have (2x12) has the G12H30/V-30 combo...that is a cool combo sound!  Everything else is GT12-75 which is an "ok" all around speaker.  Greenbacks broke up a little too early for me, but they had a nice sound.  Also all of celestions now made (except Gold and Blue) are made in china now, I believe.  Not that it matters to some,  I'm just used to seeing "Made in England" on the back.

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Partial2Marshall wrote:

Thinkin' about the EVs for my F*nder twin (4x12) to keep the break up down.  Anyone  know what EJ uses in his? Another cab I have (2x12) has the G12H30/V-30 combo...that is a cool combo sound!  Everything else is GT12-75 which is an "ok" all around speaker.  Greenbacks broke up a little too early for me, but they had a nice sound.  Also all of celestions now made (except Gold and Blue) are made in china now, I believe.  Not that it matters to some,  I'm just used to seeing "Made in England" on the back.

I believe one has original orange JBL d120's and the other may have the tone tubby's.  I think i read in an interview about the tone tubby's, and I'm pretty sure about the JBL's.  Those d120's are perfect for that amp.  My friend has one where he out the TT's in and it doesn't sound right.  An EV is the best replacement for the d120's.

Ben

Partial2Marshall wrote:

I had G12-75s that came with my jube 2x12 but I hated them for
that amp . The EVM12L are far superior. although more expensive and heavy . but the clarity and honest reproduction of the amps tone is worth every penny . with g12-75s the sound was fizzy and harsh, I almost got rid of the jube until I Swapped out speakers. the g12H30 and v30 is a nice combination
albeit dark with good bottom end best in an open back cab
tried it in closed back wasnt as good IMO.

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

17 (edited by Partial2Marshall 2009-03-18 17:13:10)

had G12-75s that came with my jube 2x12 but I hated them for
that amp . The EVM12L are far superior. although more expensive and heavy . but the clarity and honest reproduction of the amps tone is worth every penny . with g12-75s the sound was fizzy and harsh, I almost got rid of the jube until I Swapped out speakers. the g12H30 and v30 is a nice combination
albeit dark with good bottom end best in an open back cab
tried it in closed back wasnt as good IMO

Not much for the open cab sound, I like the the return of a closed back.  I hear yah on the GT12 75s.  I have to keep my eyes open for for the EVM 12L ( and a Jub, have to admit you guys have got me  interested in that amp) for the fender, ordering 12 EVs for the whole system would break the bank!  Probably headed that way anyways...." A guitarist and his money are soon parted"

Also...I have to worry that if the Evs sound that true as Joe and you guys say, I may not wind up liking the sound of the amp itself too much...wish I hadn't thought of that lol

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Does vintage 30 mean 30w power handling? where does the 30 come in?
I noticed the ZW Electro Voice EV EVM 12L Black Label has 300 watts power handling. Does that mean it won't break up when playing loud and clean?