1 (edited by Sparky 2009-04-19 21:01:21)

Topic: Happier Times Lead tone... AMAZING!!! Joe, how did you get that tone?

Edit: I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm still really curious as to what was used to get such a fantastic guitar sound.  His live tone here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPIv7Jdw7I    is very similar. Same growly, searing and yet singing tone. Maybe the bottom doesn't have the oomph of the recorded version, but that may be due to the recording method.  Joe's been so generous with his knowledge, maybe he wants to keep this one to himself? I would not blame him, but I'd still like to know. 

I've been listening to the Ballad of John Henry and the more I listen, the more I like it. There are terrific tones all over, but I am especially taken with the lead tone on Happier Times. It's just freaking amazing.  So, Joe, do you remember what amps, guitars, effects were used? Any special production tricks?

Thanks!

Sparky

Re: Happier Times Lead tone... AMAZING!!! Joe, how did you get that tone?

In the guitar Player article he says it was not his live rig. It was actually a couple of FENDER amps... can you believe that?

Actually he said it was his favorite tone on the whole album.

i love it too.

-E

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

Hmm the way I read it in the article that particular tone WAS the live rig...I think he mentioned it was his favorite tone on the album as well.  I dunno I don't have the article in front of me at this moment so I could be wrong...my guess would probably the Jubilee with the Carol Ann JB100.  JBSRV I was surprised also that Joe went with medium wattage Fender amps for a large portion of the album as well.  I thought he was MR. Marshall 100 watt monster amps! lol

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I'll have to find a copy of that GP. Part of the fascination with that tone, is, I'm sure, in part because it's just such a terrific song overall. The lyric, melody, performance and arrangement are all so well executed. Still, that tone just kills. There's a throaty warble to it. Incredibly expressive.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Hmm the way I read it in the article that particular tone WAS the live rig...I think he mentioned it was his favorite tone on the album as well.  I dunno I don't have the article in front of me at this moment so I could be wrong...my guess would probably the Jubilee with the Carol Ann JB100.  JBSRV I was surprised also that Joe went with medium wattage Fender amps for a large portion of the album as well.  I thought he was MR. Marshall 100 watt monster amps! lol

Yeah maybe I'm wrong... it could have been the live rig. Oh well, it sounds great regardless!!!

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

I agree with Sparky - this is where Joe pushes it an extra notch for me - the songs are also fantastic.

There are many superb "guitar" players, but very few excellent musicians.

It is a wonderful "woody-like honk" that is used to its huge potential. (Reminds me a lot of Warren Haynes).

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

JBSRV I was surprised also that Joe went with medium wattage Fender amps for a large portion of the album as well.  I thought he was MR. Marshall 100 watt monster amps! lol

More often than not its easier to capture great recorded tones from low wattage combos than 100 watt firebreathers.  Most of the classic benchmark rock n roll tones were from micing small Fender combos that were dimed - huge recorded tones from little packages.  Those same amps will generally not work in a live situation without being miced.

Yeah it's the whole Jimmy Page using a Tele into a Supro thing.  Or Clapton with the tweed stuff, you would swear it was the Les Paul into Marshall.  But you are right, it's harder to get a great recorded tone when the speakers/mics are getting blasted.  Still a strange departure for Joe who has been using 80 watt Buddas, 100 watt Marshalls, and 100 watt Dumbles (or clones for that matter) for his recordings years now.  I love the sounds either way, it was just surprising because the only two Fender amps I have heard of him using regularly were his old Showman (live) and a Princeton (at home practice).  I like how mine sounds cranked but I'm not sure if it's any quieter than my 100 watters!  I should ask my neighbors...

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

9 (edited by Sparky 2009-03-11 05:57:29)

According to the digital booklet that came with Ballad of John Henry:  "AMPS: Too many to list again... Mostly my live rig, except for a 1963 Fender Bassman and Tremolux heads and cabinets for “Jockey Full of Bourbon,” “Last Kiss” and “Story of a Quarryman.”  So it's probably the Carol Ann Sig and maybe the Jubilee. Of course, given that the album was recorded over a long period of time, and multiple takes may have been done with different setups, there's no guarantee what was used. Unless Joe is the kind to keep detailed studio notes. I have no idea if that's the case.

Bump to see if anyone has any more info...

Here's probably the best breakdown of his rig and tone that I have seen.  To my ears it's the Jubilee and the Carol Ann JB100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyubyd68H9A

The Carol Ann has a TC SCF in the loop to add a wide chorusing sound.  The Carol Ann also has a Boss Digital Reverb (RV-5 I believe) and a DD-3 set for short "slapback" delay.  The Jubilee is running the same as usual with a single DD-3 in the loop.  Between the reverb, chorus, and delay into a fat sounding Dumble clone is where you get that super articulate but singing overdrive tone.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Here's probably the best breakdown of his rig and tone that I have seen.  To my ears it's the Jubilee and the Carol Ann JB100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyubyd68H9A

The Carol Ann has a TC SCF in the loop to add a wide chorusing sound.  The Carol Ann also has a Boss Digital Reverb (RV-5 I believe) and a DD-3 set for short "slapback" delay.  The Jubilee is running the same as usual with a single DD-3 in the loop.  Between the reverb, chorus, and delay into a fat sounding Dumble clone is where you get that super articulate but singing overdrive tone.

Thanks. That's a well considered look at it, and may very well be right. I posted the same question on thegearpage.net and a guy from Category 5 amps responded saying he thought it was the Jubilee/Category 5 combination, but was not sure. The tone does have the top end zing that could come from the Category 5 amp. However, your comments on the chorus and the delay make a lot of sense, because there seems to be a little warble or something in it.

Hey Everybody..
             The Happier Times rig is... drum roll please.
Marshall Silver Jubilee
Red Carol Ann EL 34 model..

effects chain,
       TC-chorus.
       Boss Reverb

and Kevin Shirley EQ and mic stuff..
Joe B

14 (edited by Sparky 2009-04-20 03:12:21)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Everybody..
Marshall Silver Jubilee

effects chain,
       TC-chorus.
       Boss Reverb

Joe B

Thanks Joe! 

Great work on that, and the whole album. Hope to see you stop by Northern California some time.

BTW, stratpaulguy86, you've got some good ears!

Best wishes.

Sparky wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Everybody..
Marshall Silver Jubilee

effects chain,
       TC-chorus.
       Boss Reverb

Joe B

Thanks Joe! 

Great work on that, and the whole album. Hope to see you stop by Northern California some time.

Best wishes.

That just made my day!!!  I AM THE KING. cool  Lucky guess, had a 1/3 chance of getting it right lol .

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Everybody..
Marshall Silver Jubilee

effects chain,
       TC-chorus.
       Boss Reverb

Joe B

Thanks Joe! 

Best wishes.

That just made my day!!!  I AM THE KING. cool  Lucky guess, had a 1/3 chance of getting it right lol .

I'd say good ears not lucky guess smile

Awesome.

-Eric

That particular tone is my personal favorite of Joe's.  I don't have the capacity to have four 100 watters so I picked my favorite aspect of Joe's setup and went with that as my main rig.  My attempt at that particular sound is a Marshall DSL100 + light reverb + DD-3 in the loop blended with a Ceriatone HRM100 + delta lab chorus + holy grail reverb in the loop.  Then I add pedals to change the character a little bit.  I add the Tube Driver for the EJ Cliffs of Dover thing, the TS808 for a little more mids and gain, and finally the OCD for more of an aggressive loud Marshall type overdrive.  I like the variabilitly of the pedals so I don't have to lug more amps around!

18 (edited by SOFTMC 2009-04-21 16:38:49)

I would be interested to hear a clip of these sounds please. stratpaulguy

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink