1 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2009-03-18 19:16:15)

Topic: JB Category 5 Cabinets?

During the showcase my gear tour in Las Vegas last night. The venue is horrible btw, It looked like Joe has Category 5 name plates on his speaker cabinets. Is Category 5 making Joe’s cabinets now or is Joe just giving them an additional plug.

I am guessing this is the next in line for JB signature gear? 

Take care...
Bill

Re: JB Category 5 Cabinets?

Going purely by the interviews in Guitar Player and Guitarist magazine, it's just to plug the company. He doesnt talk about catagory 5 cabs as far as I'm aware. I'll re read tonight incase I missed something.

3 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2009-03-18 19:34:57)

No, not the amp. The two speaker cabinets used by the amps.

I couldn’t bring in a camera so I don’t have any pictures. Maybe someone else got lucky and can post some photos.

Rik Emmett Fan wrote:

No, not the amp. The two speaker cabinets used by the amps.

I couldn’t bring in a camera so I don’t have any pictures. Maybe someone else got lucky and can post some photos.

There are photos of recent gigs with Catagory 5 on the cabs on the pictures forum.

5 (edited by stratpaulguy86 2009-03-18 20:43:25)

I know Joe has used the oversized Mojo cabs loaded with EV12Ls for a while but has stated that he is very rough on cabinets.  Joe does a lot of touring and plays very loud so they take a tremendous amount of punishment.  Category 5 makes Joe's cabinets to his specs.  I guess it makes sense if you have a lot of buddies in the amplifier business to just have them build the cabs as well.  I'm guessing he still loads them with the EV's and has dividers to isolate them into 4 separate vertical 2x12s.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9157

Joe comments on page 3, second posting.

Ben

Kind of lost with his tangent there, goes on to talk about the vintage modern and bogners, as though they are in the rig haha.

8 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2009-03-18 22:59:28)

I found them on the Category 5 website.

4x12 Tall Straight

Dove tail joints and 11 ply voidless baltic birch with semi open or closed back available. Dims - 30" wide by 32.5" high by 14" deep.

Starting at $1095 with Jensen Neo's. This cab can have a vertical baffle to create two 2 x 12 cabs. Can be speced identically to Joe Bonamassa's cab with ev12's for $1895

http://www.category5amps.com/

I wonder if that includes shipping. lol

They are honestly very very good.. I like them better than the extra tall mojo cabs.  Very punchy, built well.  They are new for the American rig.  Qudos to Don for the very nice work..
Joe Bonamassa

I really like the concept of sub dividing the 4x12, brings down the amount of gear carried versus the amount of sounds possible.  And your low end didn't seem to suffer at all when I saw you last year. Any weirdness associated with blending two amps through one cab at one time?

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

11 (edited by Fandango1 2009-03-23 02:45:30)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

They are honestly very very good.. I like them better than the extra tall mojo cabs.  Very punchy, built well.  They are new for the American rig.  Qudos to Don for the very nice work..
Joe Bonamassa

I have had the honor of dealing with Category Five and Don Ritter and have been very pleased with their stuff. In a nut shell, Category Five gave me this cab in the pic (see link) without spkrs but nevertheless a VERY generous offering (thanx Don) for simply a long wait on a custom amp ordered...I play both the CAT5 JB Plexi 50 watter combined with the CAT5 custom enclosure 1900 through this vertically split 4x12 populated with Celestion 12-65s...A great Joe sound as well as many others ...Gary Moore, Eric Johnson, ZZTop etc whatever you want really, this rig is so TUNEABLE to whatever your needs may be...add effects and chops and its all there...
This cab is well built, rock solid and oversized which works for me...I also mic it up and use a home built plexi baffle system...run through a PA on dual channels panned left, one panned right, you'd think you were at Joes show....anyway, kudos to Category Five for all the great work they've done in the past year.

Always a big thanx to Don Ritter too for all his help and expertise...I know Don, I owe ya some sound clips and vids...I'll do it, I swear...just rebuildin a band right now...
Til next time, take care all... Tim Van Horn

CAT5 Rig with cab link...

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 … 5Stack.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 … xiglas.jpg

Sound clip of myself doing "Bridge To Better Days" using two CAT5 heads and 4x12 cab

[img]http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp181/Bloosman21/CAT5/th_Bridge.jpg[/img]

CURRENTLY: CAT5 JB PLEXI 50W, CAT5 1900 50W, Split 4x12 cab.
Fender Strat, Tele. Gibson LP including ole #174 JB Goldtop...

In heaven right now with the CAT5 rig!!!

So whats Joe using in Europe for cabs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhXq5dYoACU

puppetz323 wrote:

So whats Joe using in Europe for cabs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhXq5dYoACU

Looks like a Van Weelden made cab.

Good eye Ben, I was like what is the logo...wait it looks like the same blurry shape as the Van Weelden tongue .  Man sometimes thinking about all the gear that Joe must have makes me sick!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Good eye Ben, I was like what is the logo...wait it looks like the same blurry shape as the Van Weelden tongue .  Man sometimes thinking about all the gear that Joe must have makes me sick!

At least he makes the most of it, sometimes I look at "cool" bands like mcfly with their lp customs and think what a waste!

Very true.  Joe is one of the few guys who talent does amazing gear justice.  I know that my gear is far better than my playing! sad

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Very true.  Joe is one of the few guys who talent does amazing gear justice.  I know that my gear is far better than my playing! sad

Me too, doesn't stop me wanting more gear though! lol