1 (edited by gypsyfunk 2009-04-13 01:58:24)

Topic: G&L Legacy vs. F*nder Eric Johnson

So I have two guitars in my possession temporarily.  One is an F*nder EJ and the other a G&L Legacy.  I was wondering if anyone here or more specifically - Joe, have you ever played a G&L and what did you think?

My initial thoughts - the G&L neck is much fatter, pickups more articulate and fatter, and while they both are very loud and resonate very well acoustically, the EJ is much brighter whereas the G&L is a little duller/darker sounding (acoustically).  The G&L also has this cool floating dual fulcrum trem which is super smooth and great for crazy Hendrix/Beck type playing.

I've been comparing them back and forth for about a week now.  I personally am leaning towards the G&L in look, feel, and tone.  However I don't hear many people talking about G&L's and some consider them another "knock off" Strat.  Not many people are aware that the G&L Legacy was Leo's final design on the Stratocaster before he passed away.

Additionally, I was checking out the wiring on the G&L and it's very odd for a Strat.  It has a 250K volume pot (normal), but then it has a 1M Bass and 500K Treble tone control.  These controls control all three pickups simultaneously.  I would like to do the EJ mod to it for some added tonal versatility and have the tone pots control the neck and bridge pickups.  However, everyone says 250K is typical for Strats.  Since I dig the current tone, will changing these pot values kill that tone?

Was looking for some other opinions, thoughts, etc from people that have actually had a chance to play both guitars...

2 (edited by Spider 2009-04-13 02:10:08)

Re: G&L Legacy vs. F*nder Eric Johnson

Which EJ? The 2009 or the 2005-08's? Theres a huge difference between the two! The 09 EJ has a fat & flatter 12" bound RW neck and different pickups than the early EJ's. If it weren't for their over inflated price, I would consider one. Although I don't really need another guitar.

Happy Easter!

Oh I add a treble bleed and a blender pot with master volume, master tone to mine. Works great!

My vote is the G&L is more of a Leo Fender guitar then the EJ Stratocaster.  Yeah Leo's baby will always be the Stratocaster but the G&L is supposed to be the next refinments in a continous work on the old "Fender" guitars.  The Legacy is Leo and I don't think Joe has ever had a problem with Leo Fender Products.  I think if you like one better then the other I'd go with that one.

4 (edited by gypsyfunk 2009-04-13 02:22:37)

Spider wrote:

Which EJ? The 2009 or the 2005-08's? Theres a huge difference between the two! The 09 EJ has a fat & flatter 12" bound RW neck and different pickups than the early EJ's. If it weren't for their over inflated price, I would consider one. Although I don't really need another guitar.

Happy Easter!

There's really not a big difference at all between the EJ Strats.  All EJ's had and still do have a 12" radius neck.  The 2009's now have a run with a bound rosewood neck and different body colors but those have been the only changes (actually additions to the line since the maple neck version is still in production) from the original 2005 run.  The electronics, neck shape, and all other attributes remain the same for both guitars.  Of course, the rosewood will give the guitar a different tone from it's maple necked counterpart. 

I got this build info form my guitar tech who is a certified Fender Custom Shop repair tech of which there are only 30 in the nation. I've also played the new models smile.

That being said, even if money weren't an object, the G&L is monetarily cheaper but still feels like a much more expensive custom shop guitar to me.  I just don't see very many people out there playing them.  Especially guitarists of any notoriety.  Just curious as to why people seem to pass these guitars up.

A Happy Easter to you as well my friend!  smile

I have a G&L rosewood Neck Legacy, G&L Commanche Honeyburst (maple neck) with Z-Coils, A 96 American Standard Strat with a rosewood neck (by the way Joe signed the Strat back in '05 at the Buffalo Rose in Golden CO) and was briefly owner of a maple neck EJ. As some of the other poster's have said, this is largely a matter of personal taste. G&L's cost less in general but I think G&L build quality and Quality Control is better until you get up to EJ level or Custom Shop level. Strat necks feel different than G&L necks and of course both companies have different radiuses available. To me neck comfort and playability and fretboard choice (maple vs. rosewood) is the number one factor in the decision you're making. Most of the time when I pickup a strat type guitar I grab the Legacy as I really like the feel of the neck and it has the most vintage sounding single coils of the bunch. The second factor is pickups but they can be changed. I loved the EJ but bought it when I was already in debt and eBayed it a month (last month as a matter of fact) after I got it just due to the fact it was my only unmodded guitar other than the Commanche. I had to choose between it and the Commanche and the Commanche won.

I played a used cherry sunburst G&L Custom ASAT a week ago and it absoluetly floored me.  It had a gorgeous amber-tinted flame maple neck attached to a stunning ash body.  The pickups were not harsh and biting like a Tele but they had enough snap to do the country thing.  They sounded like a good mix between a P90 and a standard Tele pickup.  It was sitting next to a $1700 Deluxe American Tele and honestly the ASAT murdered it.  The ASAT was used for $1000.  I have played some EJ Strats and while I've liked them I still thought they were pretty bright and the bridge pickup on a couple sounded weak.  I love the how the EJ's are lightweight, and they are very nice guitars.  A month ago I would have given the nod to Fender everytime, now I really believe in the G&L's.  They are much more fairly priced for what you get and I think head to head stomp what Fender is putting out.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I have a G&L Semi-Hollow ASAT that is absolutely amazing, vintage tinted birdseye maple neck.  The same p-90 style pickups described above... definitely a versatile guitar.

IMHO, The EJ strat is simply the best strat on the market. I've played lots of G&L's and I have not disliked a single one. On the Fender side, one of the only ones I'd ever buy is the EJ. I have noticed the bright on the EJ is very bright... almost too bright on the lead pickup. I'd probably just put a higher K pickup in the lead if I had it to darken it up.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

GFS???

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

IMHO, The EJ strat is simply the best strat on the market. I've played lots of G&L's and I have not disliked a single one. On the Fender side, one of the only ones I'd ever buy is the EJ. I have noticed the bright on the EJ is very bright... almost too bright on the lead pickup. I'd probably just put a higher K pickup in the lead if I had it to darken it up.

I had a 90's G&L Legacy. neck was on the skinny side, and it was a bit heavy. I personally found that I could not stand the floating trem. Just continuous tuning problems.  Also, the bridge pickup was very bright. Again, just my experience with one guitar. I would choose the EJ over it based on the fact that it uses a vintage trem that sits flat on the guitar.  However, I did like the PTB system on the Legacy. Very easy to take some highs off and push up the bass. However, I was also using a bright sounding, marshall voiced amp and just could not get the treble under control.  However, I did use it for a while with a Vox AC30 CCH head and cab and that sounded really good. Just top notch tone there. Not a lot of dirt without a pedal, but who needs it when the thing sounds like that? I eventually sold, due in large part to the neck and the tuning problems. I suggest spending time with the dual fulcrum trem before going with a g&l.

I have a 2008 White EJ.  I agree with one of the earlier posters I think it is one of the highest quality Strats Fender is making right now.  The neck is unique and took me a little while to get used to it.  It is fatter toward the headstock and thins out toward the body.  I had been playing an original '92 SRV with rosewood neck as my main guitar for the last 15 years but since it is in dire need of refretting the EJ has become my main ax.

I really like the pickups and the tone controls.  Some have mentioned it might be too bright but that is the beauty of having that tone control for the bridge pickup you can dial it down.  Also the middle pickup has a very useable tone to it as well.  I never used that pickup by itself on my SRV only blended usually in the neck-middle position for a more percussive/acoustic sound which I love for certain tunes.  I do say that is my only negative with the EJ is I can't get that same sound in that pickup configuration but it's a different guitar so what can you expect.

IMO if a person buys the rosewood neck version or is considering changing pickups or wiring you might as well just buy a American Standard with rosewood neck.  You're sort of defeating the purpose of buying a signature guitar and then messing with it that way.  That is just what I think.  I'd also vote against anything with a floating trem unless you plan on using it a lot!  They can be nightmares, plus they rob you of tone and sustain.

p.s.  After being a Strat guy for 20+ years, Joe's influence has finally got to me and I purhased two LP's this last month.  One a non-aged JBLP and a '57 RI Goldtop  so we'll see who wins the battle for the main ax!

"Chicago" Dave Schutt
Main Channel Band
Charlotte, NC

You know, theres always the blindfold test too.

have both guitars side by side. Blindfold yourself, and play both of them.
Not being able to see makes you really rely on your touch and hearing senses.
Those two senses should more clearly steer you towards one over another.
People all too often mistakenly judge a guitar by looks (especially burst LP's with flame or figure tops).

good luck!
Nic

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a F*nder? I know what a Fender is, but I've never heard of this odd F*nder brand.

*end sarcasm*

Come on people, it's a Fender...wait a minute...this sounds familiar...hold on...

Ah! Here it is!

Danny! wrote:

FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER FENDER.

I'm tired of seeing this "Starts with an F and ends with an R" crap...it's a Fender. Joe's not gonna get his feelings hurt if you own or enjoy or play or sleep with Fenders.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

FENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I always go with the guitar that speaks to me. Some just feel better than others. And the Make/Model isn't as important. None of the makes are consistent enough to be recommended by name only. At least, when you're talking about nice, professional quality guitars. Like the 2 you've mentioned.

Having said that, I was really impressed with the EJ Strats when they came out. They actually reminded me of one of the "Super-Strats" by Suhr, Tyler, Melancon, etc. Kind of a "High Tech" PU and set-up. Hotter, and faster, etc. Not what I'd consider a "Vintage Strat" type of vibe at all. And that's not a slam. I really like some of these attributes, as well as I like the many of the  more traditional aspects of some Strats.
    But, they quickly seemed to change. I don't think they're keeping their "promise" about QC. Some of them are much heavier than others. And they always seem to need a set-up. I really haven't found an EJ that I like, in about 2 years.
    I know everybody will disagree with me on this. But, that's how they strike me.

G & L guitars are also top notch. Nothing to say about those, except that, like every other guitar, it's highly dependant on that one particular instrument.

I would just suggest you play even more of them. Eventually, one will stand out. It'll just feel "right" to you.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Deezer wrote:

FENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen good sir, amen.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

17 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2009-04-16 18:23:51)

Very well, if you will not assist us voluntarily...
F
..Fe
...Fen
....Fend  -errrr
lol

fast forward to 2:45 smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

fast forward to 2:45 smile

For shame Nick...you never EVER fast forward through Monty Python, EVER. It's like the 11th Commandment.

"Thou shalt not fast forward through moments of hilarity."

Come on.

lol