Topic: If you'll be my Dixie Chicken...

..I'll be your Tennessee lamb.

Right then, the truly legendary, unique Little Feat!

(I agree with you Andre, I also lost touch and interest after Lowell's death.)

Somewhere in late '72, during my second year at university in rural England, my neighbor kept playing an LP over and over, so loud that I picked up enough bits through the wall to become intrigued. He eventually lent me 'Sailin' Shoes' for a couple of days, after which I was as hooked as he was and started telling all of my friends who would listen about this wonderful 'discovery' - very much the same process I've been through with Joe these last four months or so. big_smile

Almost all of my Deadhead friends were as enthusiastic as I was, and so a small but very fanatical group of Feat Freaks came into being. We waited with feverish anticipation for the next album due in the spring of '73, which turned out to be the awesome, legendary (sorry, there is no other word) 'Dixie Chicken', one of the very finest works of music ever, in my humble opinion.

That summer my father brought me their first album from the US, the 'blue cover'. (The LP was not available in England and incredibly, only sold around 11,000 copies.) If anything, that one blew me away even more! Although I faithfully bought and enjoyed all their subsequent LPs till Lowell died, none could remotely equal the power, grandeur, humor and controlled weirdness of the first three. The innovative Neon Park album covers also stood out a mile.

There were so many almost incestuous connections with other bands or musicians who were also important to me.

- Lowell had started out with Zappa in the Mothers. (From Wikipedia) -

There are three legends about the genesis of Little Feat. One has it that George showed Frank Zappa his song "Willin'", and that Zappa fired him from The Mothers, because he felt that George was too talented to merely be a member of his band, and told him he ought to go away and form his own band. The second version has Zappa firing him for playing a 15 minute guitar solo - with his amplifier off. The third version says that Zappa fired him because "Willin'" contains drug references ("weed, whites and wine"). Ironically, when "Willin'" was recorded for the first, eponymous Little Feat album, George had hurt his hand and could not play the song's slide part, so Ry Cooder sat in and played the part. This was one reason why "Willin'" was re-recorded and included on their second album Sailin' Shoes. Sailin' Shoes was also the first Little Feat album to include cover art by Neon Park, who had painted the cover for Zappa's Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

- Roy Estrada, who played bass on the blue album, joined one of my other all-time favorites, Captain Beefheart.

- Bonnie did background vocals on 'Dixie Chicken'. cool

- Bonnie and Emmylou did background vocals on 'Feats don't fail me now'. cool cool

- (From Wikipedia) - Some of the prominent musicians and bands to play and record the music of Little Feat include The Black Crowes, The Byrds, Garth Brooks, Jackson Browne, Emmylou Harris, Nicolette Larson, Randy Newman, Robert Palmer, Bonnie Raitt, Linda Ronstadt, John Sebastian, Carly Simon, Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Phish, Bob Weir, and Phil Lesh.

That'll do for starters. It took another two years after becoming a fanatical Feat Freak before I was able to see them live, but boy, was that wait ever worth it! I shall try to do justice to my first live Feat experience in another post. For now, I'll just let you in on the secret that Little Feat at the Rainbow Theatre, London in 1975 remains to this day the most awesome, stupendous and emotional concert of all the gigs I have ever been to.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Re: If you'll be my Dixie Chicken...

Wow what a great read Amster! smile That's the info I like because as I said elsewhere here, I wasn't all that into Feat...thanx for the thread.

Rob

I believe Zappa recomended his label at the time sign Lowell. Lowell fired Richie Hayworth for not ever playing a song the same way twice. Lowell I thought was in Captain Beefheart. He injured his hand when working on a model plane engine and the propeller cut it. That is why he played slide. He was evidently a shredder of a player before his hand was shredded. Little Feat with Lowell have a Rockpallast DVD. Check it out. The man had soul.

I became a Feat fan back in 77 guy on my dorm floor did nothing but rave about them,[very bonafanatical] had the same passion as us bona adicts do.My baptism was the Waiting for Columbus album which I can still pull out and love it all these years later.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

5 (edited by cathysiler 2007-12-03 22:43:13)

FEAT! FEAT! FEAT!  Then "Fat Man in a Bathtub"..Memories of this start to the concerts are such a part of my memories from my 20's. I was a young widow with a group of crazy, music loving friends who were all Little Feat fanatics..I can't even tell you how many times I saw them, but I can say I thought they were from the D.C. area because they were around so much! They are still a good band, but if you knew them with Lowell, his absence is too noticable. They are in that rare group who's works can be listened to song 1 to the end. I really like Red Streamliner Blues, Time Loves a Hero...geez...now I'm going to have to pull all the CD's out which means I'll lose them in all the X-mas "stuff" sprawled all over the house.        Jim...Thanks for the DVD info..I'm ordering tonight!                Cathy         Edited to add: the DVD cost from $99 to $155!!! at Amazon..guess that's off the list!

Whoa. I got mine a few years ago for 19.99. Didn't know it was an investment at the time. I loaned it to a young local guitar player that sounded a lot like Lowell. I haven't got it back. I'll be looking on ebay for it I guess.

jim m wrote:

I believe Zappa recomended his label at the time sign Lowell. Lowell fired Richie Hayworth for not ever playing a song the same way twice. Lowell I thought was in Captain Beefheart. He injured his hand when working on a model plane engine and the propeller cut it. That is why he played slide. He was evidently a shredder of a player before his hand was shredded. Little Feat with Lowell have a Rockpallast DVD. Check it out. The man had soul.

Roy Estrada played with Capt. Beefheart's Magic band, where he was known as Orejon. To my knowledge, Lowell was never involved with the Captain.

I've been searching high and low for this Rockpallast dvd, so far without success. There are in fact two dvds, one from a 70's concert and one from a 90's concert. I imagine that the one you found for all that money Cathy is the one from the 70's, which is the one I'd be interested in. Not that I'll pay that kind of money, but can you let me have the link where you saw it? Thanks.

RIP Iron Man

Hello Feat fans,

I'm a Feat fan too since 1970, have all their LP's from that time and saw them live twice, I even saw Lowell George when he played  with Zappa. Very, very  good band and I think that their influence on the musicscene is much bigger than most people think.

I live just 4 miles from the German border and can see if I can find the Rockpalast DVD with Lowell for you Cathy and George. Will be in Christmas holiday, have more time then. Busy withschool now.

Thanks for the information George, but I knew it already, because I'm a feat fan!

Andre Wittebroek.

Since 1970, Andre???

The first (blue) album that came out in 1971 was not released in Europe as far as I know, so the first album you probably bought was Sailin' Shoes in 1972.

I agree 100% that their influence has been far greater than any status they have had with the general public. And thanks for your kind offer about the 70's Rockpallast dvd! I will happily pay any 'normal' price for that.

RIP Iron Man

George, as far as I can remember, in 1970 we had a radioprogram from the KRO. Forgot the name. It was on the radio every Fridaynight from 21.00 till 22.00.
It was a program with  alternative(good word?)  music styles like Zappa, Little Feat, Soft machine, Caravan, Roxy Music, Colosseum etc.
They played only live shows. I remember that I bought sailing Shoes, because I heard Feat on that radioprogram  before. So it must be 1970-1971.

I'll do my best with the DVD. Of course normal price or for free. I'll see. Bonafans help eachother don't they?

Andre Wittebroek.

Cheers for Waiting for Columbus!!!  What else is everyones favorite.....Please feat don't fail me now...

gary wrote:

I became a Feat fan back in 77 guy on my dorm floor did nothing but rave about them,[very bonafanatical] had the same passion as us bona adicts do.My baptism was the Waiting for Columbus album which I can still pull out and love it all these years later.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

I threatened to describe my first live Feat experience in my original post. It's only taken two months, but here it is.

Little Feat - Jan. 19, 1975 Rainbow Theatre, London. Their only show in London on the Warner Bros. tour that also featured the likes of Orleans and Tower of Power, with The Doobies as headliners at every show.

Clearly, no one at Warner Bros. realized that there was a substantial and fanatical cult following for the Feat in England, and heads subsequently rolled as a result of this major miscalculation.

The sold out Rainbow turned out to be packed for at least 90% by us Feat freaks - the band never knew what hit them as they stepped out to open for the Doobies. It was an utterly magical vibe, the hall was packed for the opening act (whereas normally half the audience would still be in the foyer), the audience immediately sang along with every song, stayed on its feet and went completely mad after every number, eventually forcing the house lights back down for a third encore!! (No opening act ever does three encores.)

The experience, and the climax - an acoustic Willin' by Lowell - were so intense that people were moved to tears. After the break, once the Doobies started up, people started leaving in droves while they were playing, simply because we were utterly drained and because nothing the Doobies could possibly do could approach what we had just experienced - a sort of collective mass musical orgasm.

To this day, this was the most profound, intense and moving concert I have ever been privileged to attend.

RIP Iron Man

Nice story George. Good that the memory remains so full. My favorite show memories were the starts where we would scream "Feat, Feat, Feat".... Then the announcer would say "Give it up for Little Feat..F-E-A-T" and the band would start  "Join the Band". Then that unmatched rythmn section would kick into "Fat Man in the Bathtub"... I'd stay THAT wired all the way thru....I had no idea how fragile that kind of perfection was...I was young and thought I'd grow old with this band....R.I.P. Lowell George! Cathy

Bumping this back up for Millhouse, who seems to have missed it. big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Angela wrote:

Cheers for Waiting for Columbus!!!  What else is everyones favorite.....Please feat don't fail me now...

gary wrote:

I cut my teeth on Dixie Chicken, but really dig everything plus the Craig Fuller stuff, but I have to admit I haven't stuck with 'em since Craig parted ways. My sons first concert was Little Feat at The Fillmore, a month before he was born in May '89. His mom got a ticket at the last minute with some friends, and she said he was literally movin' with the music most of the night.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

A glorious find, just posted on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfZUsbqXqM

Watch out for the photos that come by, there are some classics including one of a very young divine Ms Raitt! big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Oh wow!!! cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVrs4EN9jc

Sonny Landreth, my biggest 'discovery' during my recent trip to the US, playing with my most loved band from the 70's.

RIP Iron Man

Thanks George,

I clicked on the first video on the list to the right. Dixie Chicken performed on the Midnight Special TV show with Bonnie and Emmylou singin' back ups, now that's heaven.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint