Topic: Berklee College of Music Guitar Audition tips?

Hey everyone, so this summer i'm gonna be auditioning for Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA. I heard it consists of a prepared piece, sight reading, ear training/call response..etc.. and a basic interview. Is there anyone out there who has any advice from experience or just thoughts about getting in? im very nervous lol
My godfather had went there and graduated in the 80s so his experience would be different than what berklee expects/looks for today lol

My prepared piece is LP by Lee Ritenour, it was on his new collaboration album 6 String Theory ( very good album) which also had Joe on a track called Give Me One Reason with Robert Cray.
                                                                                                                             Thanks- Renzo  big_smile

Hearing the Blues changed my life - Van Morrison

Re: Berklee College of Music Guitar Audition tips?

They have online degrees, where I think the "audition" is a simple application process...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

renzo wrote:

My prepared piece is LP by Lee Ritenour, it was on his new collaboration album 6 String Theory                                                                                                                              Thanks- Renzo  big_smile

I have this CD.  If you can play this piece, and play it well, relaxed and confident, you'll be fine

renzo wrote:

Hey everyone, so this summer i'm gonna be auditioning for Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA. I heard it consists of a prepared piece, sight reading, ear training/call response..etc.. and a basic interview. Is there anyone out there who has any advice from experience or just thoughts about getting in? im very nervous lol
My godfather had went there and graduated in the 80s so his experience would be different than what berklee expects/looks for today lol

My prepared piece is LP by Lee Ritenour, it was on his new collaboration album 6 String Theory ( very good album) which also had Joe on a track called Give Me One Reason with Robert Cray.
                                                                                                                             Thanks- Renzo  big_smile

If you have some God given talent, that will shine through. Don't show off or be cocky. Be serious but be yourself and all will work out just fine. A close friends son went through this a few years ago and what he's told me is that they're looking to see that music is what you live eat and breathe. I wish you well. You'll do fine.

BTW my friends son now teaches music at a local high school, plays with a local band, and couldn't be more happy.

Rockfarmer wrote:
renzo wrote:

My prepared piece is LP by Lee Ritenour, it was on his new collaboration album 6 String Theory                                                                                                                              Thanks- Renzo  big_smile

I have this CD.  If you can play this piece, and play it well, relaxed and confident, you'll be fine

+1 Renzo, just listened to this today and Joey D doesn't make it sound easy. Welcome to the forum, and as Coleman the butler  said to Eddie Murphy in Trading Places, "Just be yourself sir, whatever it is they want of you they can't take that away". Best of luck to you in this.

Tres

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Thanks everyone for the advice! Really helped me gain some confidence, and im making sure to practice my prepared piece until my fingers fall off lol Im also doing a mock audition with the music teachers in my school to get used to the process. I will definitely keep you guys posted on what happens and thanks again!

Hearing the Blues changed my life - Van Morrison

7 (edited by sarai abrams 2011-08-25 22:43:15)

Just be confident! I believe it is just an application process. Just show them what you got. The real test is in the interview. I am doing piano practice for an music school application as well.

8 (edited by Rocket 2013-11-23 16:34:39)

This is not really directed at anyone in particular, due to topic age...But if you are going...

I hated school and church auditions, they were so stuffy, contrived, and needlessly tense.  And my advice would not make you fail, only because I would remove the option by advising to just drop out and well, don't do that.  You are capable, I am presuming, as they will.  Just remember, regardless of whom or how many are gathered to evaluate you, every single one of them, no matter how thickly padded their resume with successes, there's at least a 50-50 chance they felt like you and also could have failed even more miserably than you are even possible of doing when you audition.  Also remember, the feedback isn't designed for television ratings, it is directed to you for consideration and (hopefully) encouragement, not to slice you down to size.  So using the contents I listed above for final advice; avoid the stuffiness by being glad and grateful for the opportunity, as Jane said;  and the best way to diffuse any hint of facing a truly contrived set of expectations (especially on the difficulty or artistically limiting parameters scales)  is to engage in brief conversation with a presumption of decent queries about anything being acceptable, it can almost force everyone to relax; and the more smiles (and laughs, if appropriate) you can release in earnest are going to be even more relaxing, and probably soften the edges to smooth.  Finally, do not overreact or under-react to criticisms or accolades bestowed on you. big_smile  Good LUCK!

You'll go through this again, many times, so...Good LUCK!!! wink

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

edit: "just drop out" above should read better as don't bother enrolling, meant as not a disrespect, but I was thinking of those who have done the same sorts of things in their lives and gone on to tremendous accomplishments, as in anything is possible. wink  Nothing against Berklee either... big_smile

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”