Topic: Guitar wankers?

Remember the 80's when whammy bars were big, and neon colored guitars were the the style?

Who was the most guilty of this?
Did Eddie van halen start it all????

This is sort of what my most recent blog post was about. It was Jump by Van Halen that started my rant. I guess I don't think Eddie deserves ALL the blame for the change in the industry, but he was all the rage back then!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: Guitar wankers?

It seems the W word has now become 'en vogue' around here! Hmmm.....!!  hmm

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Brack wrote:

No Friend, it was in use here by the musicians on this forum long before you arrived.  Do you know the answer to the topic question?

MuchLove
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Brack wrote:

It is a term here used almost exclusively to describe a guitar player who over plays. It is derogatory for sure and alludes to the fact that he is into self gratification. He is just engaged in wanking on the neck of the guitar.

jim m wrote:
Brack wrote:

It is a term here used almost exclusively to describe a guitar player who over plays. It is derogatory for sure and alludes to the fact that he is into self gratification. He is just engaged in wanking on the neck of the guitar.

You learn something new every day! I never knew this American definition, and neither did Cathy.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Popa Chubby used the w word in German in a song, but he pronounced it in the wrong way: instead of Wichser he said Fixer which means junkie.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Guenter wrote:

Popa Chubby used the w word in German in a song, but he pronounced it in the wrong way: instead of Wichser he said Fixer which means junkie.
Günter

well maybe he is not so far off really Günther. I've got a couple of 'solo junkies' in my band!  lol

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

CC Deville, Adrian Vanderberg...etc..etc...

Easily the worst...and still...Michael Angelo...eugh!

At least Eddie could play with soul!  I think its hard to pin point the exact moment everybody thought it was cool to have neon colored guitars and spandex.  I wanna know why everybody that was a dude back then looked more like girls then the girls did back then?  Thank God for Guns & Roses, and then the Grunge movement or we might still be teasing our hair!  My opinion is Van Halen jumped on the band wagon, I think it started with either The Scorpions or Dokken, and then everyone else tried to copy the sound but were no where near the skills or MR. Scary.   YOU can directly pin point Randy Roades for the Neo Classical stuff in 80's rock.  So maybe Quite Riot with Randy Roades.

10 (edited by Rocket 2011-05-21 06:56:52)

AD3THREE wrote:

At least Eddie could play with soul!  I think its hard to pin point the exact moment everybody thought it was cool to have neon colored guitars and spandex.  I wanna know why everybody that was a dude back then looked more like girls then the girls did back then?  Thank God for Guns & Roses, and then the Grunge movement or we might still be teasing our hair!  My opinion is Van Halen jumped on the band wagon, I think it started with either The Scorpions or Dokken, and then everyone else tried to copy the sound but were no where near the skills or MR. Scary.   YOU can directly pin point Randy Roades for the Neo Classical stuff in 80's rock.  So maybe Quite Riot with Randy Roades.

I think I'd absolutely classify them (Eddie, Randy) as non-wanks, and then you cut the to the ultimate non-wank, Jeff Beck (who may have actually started it-it being making much usage of the whammy beyond a short duration effect?)...and like trying to play like Jeff, those who tried too hardly to sound like Eddie, who came on in the second half of '70's full bore in my opinion, you ended up with some terrible emulations.  Guitar Wanker Central in many respects-just look at the crazy growth of 10,000 pedals in the 1980's!!!! A pedal for every Wankel Engine!
By the way, Jeff Beck himself, when asked who he seeing as someone to be reckoned with, was impressed with EVH early 80's...I remember his quote..."very slippery"!  He meant his overall fretting more than his whammy likely, but Ed was playing pretty darn good both ways.  Who gets the Wankerchief??? Hmmmm... Bracket elimination of at least double the entries of the NCAA March Madness Tournament...

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Not just an American definition. Often used over here too for the same reason. Even worse if you prostitute yourself musically and also happen to be a musical wanker  smile

Amsterhammer wrote:
jim m wrote:
Brack wrote:

You learn something new every day! I never knew this American definition, and neither did Cathy.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

gsj wrote:

Not just an American definition. Often used over here too for the same reason. Even worse if you prostitute yourself musically and also happen to be a musical wanker  smile

Amsterhammer wrote:
jim m wrote:

Yes Musicians know...

MusicalLove
BJJ FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:
gsj wrote:

Amsterhammer wrote:

Yes Musicians know...

MusicalLove
BJJ FDOL

Surfers know too. Used to describe an obnoxious wave hog and has been in use for a long time.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381