Topic: Pairing Amps

I was watching the DVD that came with the Jan issue of Guitar World (where Joe talks about his amps).  A couple things Joe said got me wondering- he was talking about pairing amps and how you need to find amps that work in phase and pair well together grounding wise etc.  I've never had any experience yet with pairing amps so a couple questions:

1.) How does Joe (or anyone else) split the signal coming out of the guitar to two amps?  I know there's the Lehle 1@3 switcher, but how does the signal from that get split?  Also, how does the signal get routed through the Silver Jubilee all the time when the signals split?

2.) What makes amps work in phase vs. out of phase?

3.) What's up with the issue of grounding the amps- what makes both amps be grounded correctly to be used with eachother?

4.) How can you be shocked by pairing amps and how do you prevent it?

Any other information on amp pairing would be great too.

Thanks,
Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Re: Pairing Amps

I actually had a question about this too. I play through a Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 60 watt amp. What kind of amp would be a good match with this?

Thank you,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Ok..  I should give this disclaimer before you start pairing stuff.  Especially two Fenders.  Dont touch both them at the same time.  Rule #1. 

"Pairing"
goes as follows

Marshall Jubile..  Does great high and low with good mids.  It also has great gain and saturation. So You need to put something up the middle of that sound to create a full range.  Jus the Two Rock works well for that.  I set the two rock for just gain and mids.  (not a pleasing tone by itself... also not their fault the amp sounds fine) That creates the full range lead tone I use.  I then use the Carol Ann or Van Weedlen as the cleaner amp with Reverb and Chorus.  That Spreads the tone out creating that chimey articulate tone good for punching through a band and very expressive for leads.  (As heard for Django and Asking around for u)  Then the Catagory 5.  Thats my ace in the hole for outside shows. The loudest amp I have up there.  I run it around 8 for volume and very little bass. Tales of Brave Ulysees tone.  Great amp. 
To split them simple.  Wirlwind A-B both selector. run into the Leile ABC.  Dont buy the Morley or the Liele A or B. They are horrid and suck the life out of any amp.  Delay in the Effects loop of the Marshall. 

Phasing.. Listen for the most bass. In Phase bass.. Out of Phase no bass and sounds like a bad MXR phase 45. Tom Dowd taught me that simple trick.  Have a reverse speaker cable ready.  (Reverse the ground and main lead on one side.. Jus reverse phase cable) Also Thank you Tom..  Most amps play well together phase wise..
(Another Tom Dowd trick... Aim a Fender amp into a corner and mic the back.  jus the design of my plexi shield with the corners..) I learned more from that man than anybody in my life til I met Kevin Shirley.

Grounding is different..(BE CAREFUL) Standard Home Depot ground lifts are essential.. I use 4 on my rig.. Marshall Jubiles are horrible for creating ground problems in other amps.  ( In Europe...Use a piece of electrical tape over the earth) Jus a ground lift.( note a ground lift means there is no ground or earth jus creating a volitile situation or you become the earth.. not the most desired situation)  In England.. hmmmmmmmm I dont know and be careful. Its 230+.  I use German/Dutch power and a Variac for my europe rig.(I have a idenical set up that I leave in Europe)   Never dealt with the english plugs. Only for my master plug.  (Thank you Dave Pate) 
Always wear rubber sole shoes and use caution.  Ive been shocked more than I care to remember.  Thats why my hair sticks up in the morning. 

Hope I was of some help.
Joe Bonamassa

Hey Joe- thanks a lot for that reply... that answers a lot of questions.  I always wondered why that Whirlwind box was on your board- now I know smile .  One more quick question- is it possible to run more than 2 amps together?  Like for instance if you were to hypothetically run the Jubilee, the Cat. 5, and the Two Rock at the same time (like an AB box run into an AB box with both the A+B amps on on both)? 

Again, Thanks for the reply- there's really a lot more to amp pairing than meets the eye at first!

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

If you string enough AB/Both selectors together you can run all four.  You d have to have three of them according to my calculations.  It would be extremely loud and dont know if the sound would work given those four amps.  Too much Midrange and not of destinction between the notes.  Also very hard to control.  Each amp has its own timing of when and how it goes into overdrive.  With four on at the same time the push/pull effect would be untenable.  AKA very hard to tell what your hearing and hard to roll your volume off and get a proper clean sound.  Also the phase would get a bit strange.  Thats why I stick with two only..
Good Luck
Joe Bonamassa

If one can't do it with two amplifiers, one should perhaps reassess their goals or choice of gear or both. 

Of course, I usually have a very minimalist approach on stuff like that, so I am biased I suppose.

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

Thanks for the reply Joe.  I'm definetly going to start working on pairing some amps.

Secrets Revealed - by Joe Bonamassa

thats a lot to chew on!

good fyi on the morley A-B.....thats the switch I thought of first!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool