Topic: Joe's string height on Les-Pauls

Hi Guys (Hi Joe if you're reading),
just wondered if anybody knew how high Joe set his strings on his les-pauls.
I find it a balance between tone and playability. The lower the action the thinner the tone but of course the higher you go the tone gets better but it gets harder to play. Just wondered how Joe sets his. I'm in the mood for tweaking my guitars and would be very interested in Joe's setup.
Joe, or Joe's tech - if you're reading this and could spare the time to answer that would be great.

Thanks in advance guys.

Spidey

I'd give you anything but my guitar and my car...

Re: Joe's string height on Les-Pauls

I use 11-52 Dean Markely strings.  I use high action..  Its important on a Les Paul that the truss rod is adjusted properly.. A poorly adjusted truss will make play horribly out of tune and intonation.  Proper nut adjustment will also be a factor.  Dave uses Nut Sauce on the gibsons and frankly makes them sound so intune.  Light years ahead of what I could ever do. The big frets are a help and use them to your advantage. Also wrap the strings around the bridge then go over the saddles.(Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons style)  It helps make the heavy strings feel lighter.. Most people who play my guitars think they are 10's.  Good Luck and Happy holidays.. 
Joe Bonamassa

Oh Oh I forgot.. set up your guitar without the amp.. Make it sound good acoustically then plug it in.. thats what I have learned is a good sounding electric guitar will sound good and warm without a amp..

Joe said Nut Sauce...lmao.  But I agree with Joe...wrap the strings and it better sound good without and amp first!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I use 11-52 Dean Markely strings.  I use high action..  Its important on a Les Paul that the truss rod is adjusted properly.. A poorly adjusted truss will make play horribly out of tune and intonation.  Proper nut adjustment will also be a factor.  Dave uses Nut Sauce on the gibsons and frankly makes them sound so intune.  Light years ahead of what I could ever do. The big frets are a help and use them to your advantage. Also wrap the strings around the bridge then go over the saddles.(Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons style)  It helps make the heavy strings feel lighter.. Most people who play my guitars think they are 10's.  Good Luck and Happy holidays.. 
Joe Bonamassa

Oh Oh I forgot.. set up your guitar without the amp.. Make it sound good acoustically then plug it in.. thats what I have learned is a good sounding electric guitar will sound good and warm without a amp..

Hi Joe
thanks very much for the reply! (Love the new cd by the way!) I should try top wrapping the strings. I use 11s to 48s Ernie Balls normally, I'll give the Dean Markley's a try.
With regards to your string height, is there a specific height you go for in mm from the top of the 12th fret to the underside of the top and bottom E strings?
Thanks again for replying Joe, its very cool of you.

Cheers, Spidey.

mantegna wrote:

Joe said Nut Sauce...lmao.  But I agree with Joe...wrap the strings and it better sound good without and amp first!

dang it!  it works!?  NOW i gotta buy some...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I've used that stuff for a long time. It works really good.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Instead of using the nut sauce I use a dull # 2 pencil and light scratch in the grooves on the nut and it works like a charm (plus its inexpensive).  The graphite from the pencil makes the string glide in the grooves so there is no popping of the strings when tuning up and I feel it actually helps keep the guitar in tune.  I do it everytime I change my strings, but don't over do it or you will make the nut look grey.

Hello Joe ,

I heard you play on the television special when you were 16 years old, and again in Indianapolis, IN  2005.

I would like to meet you and have you try our "certifiable intonation" fretless, but with fret position guitars.

Do you tour Knoxville, TN. ?

I do not wish this to be "spam", so if you feel it is I will understand, but if you are in the mood to try one, let me know. I have a web site, but I will not post it here.

I personally set my guitars at 1.5 MM at the 12 th fret.

Thank you,

GOMUNCY

Hi Joe
thanks very much for the reply! (Love the new cd by the way!) I should try top wrapping the strings. I use 11s to 48s Ernie Balls normally, I'll give the Dean Markley's a try.
With regards to your string height, is there a specific height you go for in mm from the top of the 12th fret to the underside of the top and bottom E strings?
Thanks again for replying Joe, its very cool of you.

Cheers, Spidey.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe Bonamassa

I'm thinking about trying the wrap around technique on my Les Paul.

Hey Joe, do you by any chance have any sort of tricks or tips on setting up Strats?  I have an Eric Johnson signature strat and am overall very pleased with the way it plays, but I think I can set it up to sound/play even better.  I've been experimenting, but any tips or tricks would be very helpful.  You obviously know what you are doing.

Thanks.

PS Great show in Wichita a while back.  Please come back soon.

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

Joe,

2 quick questions....

Hey Joe, I catch you every time you're in Northeast Ohio/Columbus area. After seeing you at the Beachland Ballroom (small room) I was actually inspired to return to playing after a 20 year "hiatus". I am playing my old LP Custom, and a newer Strat.

1.) Can you define "high action" for me. Gibson measures action, per their website as:

Action
The term "action" defines the distance that a string must be depressed before it meets the fret. Action measurements are taken in 64ths of an inch and are calculated from the top of the 12th fret on the underside of the string.

Any idea what your LP and Strat's measure at the 12th fret.?

2.) Can you explain what you mean by "wrapping the string around the bridge"?  I don't get it. Do you mean the tailpiece? I'm confused...as usual :-o

Thanks for the inspiration!

High action,
to me just means "not low" action. A lot of shredders out there desire low action. I think beginners like it to because you dont have to push down as far. I think people with bigger or thicker fingers would desire a higher string height for clarity reasons.

I've heard that slide players like really high action, but I'm guessing Joe's setup may be a little lower than a slide player's preference.  Joe, however, can play amazing slide on any of his guitars, so it does make sense that he prefers higher actions.

WRAP AROUND
instead of putting the string in from the "strap knob" side of the stop bar, insert the string from the "bridge side" of the stop bar. The strings will come out of the stop bar (towards the strap knob). You will have to wrap the string around the top of the stop bar to get the string over the bridge and on your tuner up on the neck. the strings will be exposed across the top of the stop bar as it heads toward the bridge. I do this on some of my guitars and I break less strings because it seems like there is less tension on the bridge (where i usually break strings)...

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

13 (edited by Chase'n'Blues 2008-02-15 13:35:26)

In the "cool pictures" section of the forum, there are some close-ups of Joe playing his les paul. You can see the way the strings are put in and wrapped around the "stop bar".

Seeing as how this is new info to me I'm going to buy a new set of strings "today" and try the wrap around!

The wrap around alters the 'break-angle' over the bridge and that contributes to the feel. Higher gauge = more tone......but you don't notice that you've stepped up a gauge on the strings.

Chase'n'Blues wrote:

In the "cool pictures" section of the forum, there are some close-ups of Joe playing his les paul. You can see the way the strings are put in and wrapped around the "stop bar".

Seeing as how this is new info to me I'm going to buy a new set of strings "today" and try the wrap around!

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

What an interesting topic! Even though it's been addressed a couple of times over the years, something interesting and new always pops up.  I totally agree with Joe's last comment "Oh Oh I forgot.. set up your guitar without the amp.. Make it sound good acoustically then plug it in.. thats what I have learned is a good sounding electric guitar will sound good and warm without a amp.." If it sounds weak without juice, don't expect much with it.  I've always used the inverse to judge another guy or gal's guitar, play it plugged, then unplug it...If it's still sweet, clear, and warm, it's a total winner.  Weak and limp sounding, yuck! Goes for basses too!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to Joe's music, and first post on the forum.I just saw a live version of Wild About You Baby last night on youtube and it knocked my socks off....

I'm putting together a strat especially for slide from parts I have lying around and some ebay purchases, I've always wondered if I should get a slightly higher nut installed to stop fret buzz, like I said the instrument will be exclusively for slide, I've been suffering from gear acquisition Syndrome lately so I have a few other strats..
I'm a beginner at slide so I don't know if it's my technique or whether a new nut is the way to go, what do the pro's do?

Cheers

bluesdog88

bluesdog88 wrote:

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to Joe's music, and first post on the forum.I just saw a live version of Wild About You Baby last night on youtube and it knocked my socks off....

I'm putting together a strat especially for slide from parts I have lying around and some ebay purchases, I've always wondered if I should get a slightly higher nut installed to stop fret buzz, like I said the instrument will be exclusively for slide, I've been suffering from gear acquisition Syndrome lately so I have a few other strats..
I'm a beginner at slide so I don't know if it's my technique or whether a new nut is the way to go, what do the pro's do?

Cheers

bluesdog88

nice to meet you... this is all you need. Especially if you're new to slide
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/4596

Thanks man, I bought one for my resonator, it was too wierd  lol would just prefer a more permanent solution, thanks though, appreciate it(I think mine was Australian made. just felt bizarre)

bluesdog88