Topic: Guitar TAB posting / copyright issues?

Hi guys,

I'm about 2/3rds of the way though a transcription of "You Upset Me Baby" in Guitar Pro (a very nifty tab editor) that I'm working on to improve my by-ear learning of tracks and because I was down to play it at a sadly canceled guitar jam last autumn.

What with the official tab book being released, and all the hoo-ha about online tabs and copyright infringements, I wondered if there's a Bonamassa policy on posting / sharing tabs on here and/or on a (non revenue generating) blog?

When it's done I'd like to post it for others to mercilessly point out errors. smile

Many thanks,

nick.

Re: Guitar TAB posting / copyright issues?

I learned that one about a year ago.... great fun to play and not too hard for us mere mortals. I really don't get the copyright hoo-ha as you put it ... I mean if your not making money off the back of it and Guitarist get to advance their playing I dont see the harm ... but hey .. what do I know tongue

Looking forward to seeing your Tabbage smile

I have absolutely no idea but will share my opinion. I think technically its a no-no but I think since you have been up front about it and are not trying to profit, it seems OK and if it isn't then I would hope the most that would happen would be asking you to take them down. i know many will apreciate your kindness. if Joe does puplish the songs in the future then i would say that would be a time to remove them.
Technically we aren't supposed to write the lyrics places either but nobody has said for me not to do so.
I'm glad you asked. Sometimes these questions don't even occour to me. Open communication and honesty rule.
I also think it will be good to have others verify or correct your work.
I hope you get your answer but if not and you do it, I will defend your honor if your intentions are true.

Hey Nick,

I would be in aggrement with Jane on this one, I personally would think its ok as long as you dont proffit from it and then if Joe releases the songs later you could take them down. I know for a fact I'd love to see some of your tabs.

Btw Nick, do you have the latest version of Guitar Pro? I found an open source program
that can view *gp3 *gp4 and *gp5 although there seem to be a new version of *gp5 files that i cant open. I would hate to be a hastle but do you think would it be possible for me to send you 5 tabs i think there are and would you be able to save them as a different format?

If not no worries at all,
Thanks,
Matt

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Matt - of course, my email should be on the left here. Send them through and I'll output them as PDFs, or whatever you like.

nick.

Yo Nick,

I got your e-mail back there and they work a treat. Thanks so much big_smile

Matt

Matt,
    What is the open-source program that you mentioned? Is there a link to it?

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Yeh sure Budda,

The program is called Tux guitar, it was originally designed for linux users i believe as i don't think Guitar Pro is available on linux but there is also a verison available for windows

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/ Thats a link to it there

Matt

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

wish someone could tab ARE YOU EXPERIENCED.  Someone actually tabbed A New Day Yesterday (Live) and it's note for note.  WOW...

I've tabbed only the intro solo of Are You Expierienced yet.
I will upload it in a few days on ultimate-guitar.com.
(GTPro5)

It's a looooong song smile

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

mantegna wrote:

wish someone could tab ARE YOU EXPERIENCED.  Someone actually tabbed A New Day Yesterday (Live) and it's note for note.  WOW...

Think that was me... smile smile

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

JBJHJM wrote:
mantegna wrote:

Think that was me... smile smile

Ah... Are You Experienced - great song!  Figured it out not a while ago... fun song to play

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

The thing about some of the songs you mentioned above is that they are written by other artists... so it´s not only up to what JB thinks about it...
I think it´s great with tabs... (but that doesn´t mean I can play those songs anyway...) and as long as you don't try to profit on others work I think it´s ok, but the law is different in every country too...